Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 10:42 AM

17,673 posts, read 14,802,440 times

Advertisements

What's interesting (to me at least) is the report of over 1700 health care workers in China being sickened and 6 dead.

When in the world do you ever hear that about the flu?

And honestly, China is a lying liar who lies ... I would be the farm on the fact that the reported numbers are miniscual to what the truth is over there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2020, 10:46 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,737,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Goodness, the death rate is far, far more than the flu, and the virus is not related to the flu.

In the US, the death rate from the flu is 0.1% using the highest estimated totals, that is much less the the 2.5% rate for the corona virus.
This is no "flu"
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Let's see.
  • Feb 4 - Cruise ship delayed in Japan due to 1 case of virus on Feb 2
  • 3700 passengers & crew
  • Feb 5 - Testing finds 10 more cases. Ship quarantined. Guests required to say in rooms.
  • 400 Americans on ship
  • Feb 9 - 66 confirmed cases
  • Feb 11 - 39 additional cases
  • Feb 17 - 454 total confirmed cases. All in Japanese hospitals now.
  • Feb 16 - Planes arrive to evacuate Americans.
  • Feb 16 - 44 Americans denied evacuation because they are infected.
  • Feb 17 - 16 new cases found on the 2 planes AFTER being tested in Japan. (imagine being on those planes having flown 13 hours from Japan)
This is no ordinary flu as put forth by the OP and the MSM. This is an infection rate of 13.5% in less than 3 weeks.

These facts speak for themselves.

Old 02-17-2020, 10:59 AM

78,752 posts, read 60,939,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
What's interesting (to me at least) is the report of over 1700 health care workers in China being sickened and 6 dead.

When in the world do you ever hear that about the flu?

And honestly, China is a lying liar who lies ... I would be the farm on the fact that the reported numbers are miniscual to what the truth is over there
I agree about China not giving out honest numbers. That's just what they do.

It does happen in the US, it's just really rare.

https://nypost.com/2018/01/25/nurse-...-came-on-fast/

Old 02-17-2020, 11:00 AM

78,752 posts, read 60,939,328 times
Quote:
The flu is much better, the 2.5% versus 0.1% mortality rate would tell you that.
How are you getting to those mortality rate numbers?

Old 02-17-2020, 11:11 AM

37,214 posts, read 41,447,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyVW55 View Post
This particular strain of coronavirus is called "novel" because it is a new strain. I don't believe that any parts of it are even similar to other coronavirus strains. With influenza, at least you have two variants that have *some* similarities to previously circulating influenzas. Whenever there is a "novel" virus, the infected person can react much more strongly once infected; leading to more deaths. Until the population starts to build up some natural immunity to it, it can be more dangerous than influenza.
It is called novel because it is new but it is related to other coronaviruses. If it were not, it would not be a coronavirus.

There are way more than two "variants" of influenza.

The only way to develop immunity to any virus for which there is no vaccine is to be infected with it. The problem with novel viruses is that the entire population, barring a few who may have genetic quirks that prevent them from being infected, is susceptible because no one has had it before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
Also, if people in China are dying from it, it is serious. One life is still a life and there are many human beings dying from it if reports are true. I don't know that it is an epidemic since I'm not there, but I certainly wouldn't poo poo it, as I am not the ones there going through it.
Yes, it is an epidemic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
a)Simple arithmetic: 0.05(%) x 50 = 2.5(%)

b) temperature taking as a screening method: at what point does the infected pt become febrile?--He's been shedding virus, spreading the infection, for 7 -10 days before he becomes symptomatic. It's useless, but it makes it look like "They" are doing something for us.

c) Plenty of data from CDC showing that when the population is divided into quartiles, only youngest seems to have a death rate (very slightly) improved by flu vax. Middle 3 groups show no change, while the eldest group shows no change in all-cause death rate, but if they had the vax, then less likely "influenza" will be entered as cause of death on the certificate. Common knowledge that influenza is generally only lethal in those with pre-existing conditions. Look up older research to verify that. I don't have time to do your homework if you don't want to accept my experience of 45 yrs working in the field.

CV, OTOH, is killing "healthy" people- EG- the doc who first described it.

The natural course of all infectious diseases is an example of "co-evolution." The novel virus kills off those susceptible to it, leaving behind those with more "natural immunity." Those survivors pass those beneficial genes along to the next generation, while the weak genes are eliminated....The bug itself evolves to become less virulent: the nastier ones that kill the host, kill themselves, so to speak, leaving the less virulent strains behind to sicken but not kill the hosts.

The problem is, mutations are random & frequent, so the next mutation might turn a tame strain into a killer at any time.....It's a jungle out there.
Flu does kill healthy people. Half the children who die from it have no underlying health conditions.

Some flu strains hit a given age group harder while different strains hit other age groups worse.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...y-kill-people/

Most of the people dying from COVID-19 are older and have underlying health conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoMan View Post
Maybe they are afraid it’s going to mutate to something much worse. That’s what happens in the movies and that is where my medical knowledge begins and ends.

Bring it on, I’m retiring from my job so who the hell needs me anymore anyway. Take us old farts out and save the young. That’s what Mother Nature does.
Coronaviruses do not mutate as rapidly as some other viruses do, including flu and HIV. Most mutations are neutral: they do not make the virus either more or less dangerous.

SARS underwent a mutation that apparently made it less dangerous.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/02/04/...snt-contained/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
Novasan is a lot better..........
Novasan contains chlorhexidine, which does not work as well against coronaviruses.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32035997

"The analysis of 22 studies reveals that human coronaviruses such as Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) coronavirus, Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) coronavirus or endemic human coronaviruses (HCoV) can persist on inanimate surfaces like metal, glass or plastic for up to 9 days, but can be efficiently inactivated by surface disinfection procedures with 62-71% ethanol, 0.5% hydrogen peroxide or 0.1% sodium hypochlorite within 1 minute. Other biocidal agents such as 0.05-0.2% benzalkonium chloride or 0.02% chlorhexidine digluconate are less effective."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
yep...it was specifically designed to kill coronavirus
Nope.

Old 02-17-2020, 11:12 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,880,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
How are you getting to those mortality rate numbers?
The 2.5% is from the OP, the 0.1% is from the CDC using the highest estimate totals for infections and deaths, 2018 data if I recall correctly.

Old 02-17-2020, 11:27 AM

48,586 posts, read 35,047,383 times
Quote:
The 2.5% is from the OP, the 0.1% is from the CDC using the highest estimate totals for infections and deaths, 2018 data if I recall correctly.
We don't know the mortality rate yet. We have 58K open cases, and only 13K closed. So all numbers are guess work.

So the estimates are all over the place. Not saying it isn't dangerous, I think it is. Maybe because I'm in the age group with underlying health conditions.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-17-2020, 11:38 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,456,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I'm in China right now and can only laugh at these "iT's jUsT LiKe tHe ReGuLaR fLu" posts.

The regular flu has a fatality rate of <.01%.
The coronavirus' death rate is quoted by the Chinese govt as being at about 2% (2.1% is the most often quoted number), which is already much higher.
However, looking at closed cases, there is currently a 14% death rate. yikes. We won't know the true, total number until later. There are currently over 70k infections and it's growing daily.
And this is according to China's officially stated numbers, which basically everyone knows are... Edited.

Here's an article in Barron's about how the numbers they quote are statistically too perfect to be real.
https://www.barrons.com/articles/chi...1SVaY9laMY8_Go

China's economy has been in rough shape lately, and the government has been using many of its tricks to try to stimulate the economy, all of which are falling flat. In the last 2 weeks, they have dumped over $200bn USD back into their economy, but as time marches on, international speculation on the markets and China's ability to recover is growing dim. I'm not happy about this at all as about 75% of my money is in RMB, but it's pointless and detrimental to deny it.

Why would China risk its economy at this of all times if this was just a little bitty flu?

Good post.

Old 02-17-2020, 12:56 PM

I thought this was very interesting:

Today, about 80% of pharmaceuticals sold in the U.S. are produced in China. This number, while concerning, hides an even greater problem: China is the largest and sometimes only global supplier for the active ingredient of some vital medications. The active ingredients for medicines that treat breast cancer and lung cancer and the antibiotic Vancomycin, which is a last resort antibiotic for some types of antimicrobial resistant infections, are made almost exclusively in China. Additionally, China controls such a large market portion of heparin, a blood thinner used in open-heart surgery, kidney dialysis and blood transfusions that the U.S. government was left with no choice but to continue buying from China even after a contamination scandal in 2007.

https://www.salon.com/2020/02/17/the...icals_partner/

Old 02-17-2020, 01:02 PM

**Took out original post because it is meant for another thread.**

China introduces death penalty for concealing coronavirus symptoms

https://112.international/society/ch...oms-48602.html

That is quite different from the flu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies