Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2020, 02:47 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times

Advertisements

I'm not a language expert but doesn't languages such as Italian and Spanish have words that are feminine and masculine explicitly. If words like "La" and "El" and others out there I'm sure, how does all of this "they" business work? How do you speak a language when you can't acknowledge "he" and "she" in certain situations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2020, 04:41 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,228,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
He, she, they.

Him, her, them.

His, hers, theirs.

One masculine, one feminine, one universal.

Done.

Not very hard.
No. Stop this. "They" is the plural. You cannot refer to a singular person as "they" in English. It refers to a group of people. LGBTs have the right to choose what they want to be called, but they do not have sovereign power over the English Language.

I will call a transgender woman "she" if she so wishes, but we're not going to change how English works, nor how we introduce ourselves in professional settings to accommodate a handful of transgender people.

Old 02-21-2020, 04:47 PM

19,805 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritone View Post
No. Stop this. "They" is the plural. You cannot refer to a singular person as "they" in English. It refers to a group of people. LGBTs have the right to choose what they want to be called, but they do not have sovereign power over the English Language.

I will call a transgender woman "she" if she so wishes, but we're not going to change how English works, nor how we introduce ourselves in professional settings to accommodate a handful of transgender people.
I hate any kind of bullying or bigotry against anyone, but I am fed up with tiny minorities telling others how they should talk in everyday situations. This is entirely different from demanding that they not be referred to as freaks or by any other kind of hateful slur. That should be honored by everyone, as everyone is entitled to respect (except, imo, for people like child rapists). However, as you stated, no very small minority should have sovereign power over the English language!

Last edited by katharsis; 02-21-2020 at 05:14 PM..

Old 02-21-2020, 06:17 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,522,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I hate any kind of bullying or bigotry against anyone, but I am fed up with tiny minorities telling others how they should talk in everyday situations. This is entirely different from demanding that they not be referred to as freaks or by any other kind of hateful slur. That should be honored by everyone, as everyone is entitled to respect (except, imo, for people like child rapists). However, as you stated, no very small minority should have sovereign power over the English language!
Great post. Right on.

Old 02-21-2020, 06:41 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,055,951 times
Lol - *triggered*. I could care less, but outrage about it just makes me want to promote it. I think I will add it to my email signature file.

He/Him/His/Tres Grande

Old 02-21-2020, 06:54 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,050,518 times
It does make one want to start making up buzz-phrases, just for fun.

Earlier today, in a post on another forum, I made one up: "fuel shaming"

Here in the Northeast, heating with oil is still just as common as heating with gas, because at one time oil was pretty much the only game around. There are still plenty of suburban neighborhoods where there is no natural gas infrastructure. Anyway, the Gas fans love to mock and otherwise look down on homeowners who don't choose to convert from Oil (for whatever reasons they may have for not doing so, which are perfectly valid because after all, it's their house and their money.) So I decided to call that kind of behavior "fuel shaming." It's just as good as most other buzz-phrases that I hear tossed around.

Old 02-21-2020, 06:58 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,050,518 times
Quote:
"They" is the plural. You cannot refer to a singular person as "they" in English.
Yes you can, if you are not addressing said person directly.

You can use "they" if referring to them indirectly, especially if the gender of the person is not known.

Joe: "You won't believe what my neighbor did yesterday!"
Jane: "What did they do?"

[because Jane has no idea whether Joe's neighbor is male or female, and doesn't want to assume either gender]

Sure, Jane could sound formal and rather like an echo or the second line of a bad joke, by instead saying "What did your neighbor do?" .... but in casual conversation "they" is far more likely.

Old 02-21-2020, 07:10 PM

78,420 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Have you all noticed that everybody, especially academics, are now specifying what their "pronouns" are - even normal heterosexual non-transgender people.

e.g "So and so is a Phd in ethnic studies, and his pronouns are he/him/his"

WTF?!

This is not something that people ever did before. This LGBT madness is out of control and has got to stop.
Oh, you could have so much fun with this.

I specify a he\his\him in a smaller font and something like arial black and say they represent my acknowledgment of toxic masculinity and white privilege.

Then I'd rake over the coals anyone not using them in the proper font and size.

Either that or request the use of some olde english or gaelic or swahili or navajo if you have some in your family history and say it's cultural.

Old 02-21-2020, 07:11 PM

78,420 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
Lol - *triggered*. I could care less, but outrage about it just makes me want to promote it. I think I will add it to my email signature file.

He/Him/His/Tres Grande
Mathguy approves of this post.

Old 02-21-2020, 07:16 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
Quote:
Have you all noticed that everybody, especially academics, are now specifying what their "pronouns" are - even normal heterosexual non-transgender people.

e.g "So and so is a Phd in ethnic studies, and his pronouns are he/him/his"

WTF?! This is not something that people ever did before. This LGBT madness is out of control and has got to stop.
I was all for you, until you got to "This is not something that people ever did before."

Surely our actions shouldn't limited based on it not being something that was done before.

Giving women the vote? That's not something we ever did before!

Open heart surgery? That's not something we ever did before!

Fly across the Atlantic? That's not something we ever did before!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies