Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2020, 11:45 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,813,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
And Hardly. You and I have clearly been discussing the currently unemployed.

Not quite. Follow the conversation. It all stems from Ariadne22's post. Which clearly starts off with discussing the disastrous effects of the virus in the US that we haven't begun to see yet. If we haven't begun to see it yet, people cannot be unemployed because of it. You might have failed to comprehend the discussion, but it's clear:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Payroll tax cuts will do little to nothing to help those who lose their jobs because of disruptions across industries caused by efforts to contain a potential calamity.

It is, frankly, a pitiful nonresponse to a potential disaster.

Futures for tomorrow are down. Market will not reach bottom until the US has come to grips with reality.

We haven't yet begun to see what will be the disastrous effects of this virus in the US - unless we begin immediate testing of tens of millions, and enforce rigid quarantine and isolation.

This is Not the flu or a cold. It is twice as contagious as the flu and 20-30 times as deadly.

Think about it. 20-30 times, requiring extended hospitalizations - three weeks on average - also infecting and sidelining the very health care workers necessary to keep people people alive.

Payroll tax cuts?? Really? What a pissant response.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
I don't agree with this. I've been thinking about this for some time. Payroll tax cuts would make it easier for me to start a business should I lose my job. The early years are difficult and without having to pay payroll taxes, I can ride into next year on a business idea much more easily.

Quote:
Uhhhhh....

The average American doesn’t have the resources, knowledge, or drive to start their own business, not to mention the significant savings needed pending said business becoming profitable (and that’s a huge gamble). Furthermore, what’s to say the economy will even support that amount of new startups?

But hats off to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Over 50% of Montana businesses are self starters.

Sorry if your area is different but we have a very entrepreneurial state.

Quote:
What’s the failure rate? What’s the average startup cost? Time to profitability?

I simply don’t think it’s realistic is all (for the average recently unemployed American).

Quote:
All businesses fail. Businesses are temporary... just like jobs.

But you bring up a solid point. It's tough to start a business. Especially in terms of managing the finances at the beginning. That's where 0% payroll taxes will be a big help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2020, 11:49 PM

3,321 posts, read 1,101,076 times
Quote:
Not quite. Follow the conversation. It all stems from Ariadne22's post. Which clearly starts off with discussing the disastrous effects of the virus in the US that we haven't begun to see yet. If we haven't begun to see it yet, people cannot be unemployed because of it. You might have failed to comprehend the discussion, but it's clear:
I’m glad you brought that up; I disagree with that section of his post.

The stock market crash and ever-increasing rates of infection most certainly point to the “disastrous effects” resulting from the virus making its way to our shores. We’ve obviously yet to see the full nature of the disaster but that fact hardly backs-up any of your claims.

And bud, why don’t you link me to some studies supporting your claim that a 0% payroll tax will help the unemployed start small-businesses, in any time-frame.

Old 03-10-2020, 11:51 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,103,522 times
Quote:
How, prey-do-tell, is this going to be paid for?
Payroll taxes pay for Medicare and Social Security. Cutting them off for months on end will just be his excuse for cutting benefits. Trump probably see this as a win-win. But people who use those services, and have paid for them all their lives, know better.

Old 03-10-2020, 11:55 PM

Quote:
I’m glad you brought that up; I disagree with that section of his post.

Glad to see that you finally understand the discussion. Taking the time to read the posts in a thread will help you follow the conversation.

Old 03-10-2020, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Glad to see that you finally understand the discussion. Taking the time to read the posts in a thread will help you follow the conversation.
I’m glad to see that you continue to deflect and cannot offer any proof for your claim.

Old 03-11-2020, 12:01 AM

Quote:
I’m glad to see that you continue to deflect and cannot offer any proof for your claim.

My claim that it would make it easier for me to start a business? Do you know how a business works?

Here's a simple worksheet of what type of costs go into a startup:

https://www.sba.gov/sites/default/fi...0Worksheet.pdf

You will notice that payroll taxes are listed on there. If you remove those, the cost of the startup will be cheaper. It's not rocket science for someone who understands basic finances. Like you said before, you are not in a position to provide insight on this subject.

Funny that you tried to deflect this entire conversation and make it about the average unemployed person to support your agenda rather than actually discuss the topic.

Old 03-11-2020, 12:04 AM

Quote:
My claim that it would make it easier to start a business? Do you know how a business works?

Here's a simple worksheet of what type of costs go into a startup:

https://www.sba.gov/sites/default/fi...0Worksheet.pdf

You will notice that payroll taxes are listed on there. If you remove those, the cost of the startup will be cheaper. It's not rocket science for someone who understands basic finances.

Funny that you tried to deflect this entire conversation and make it about the average unemployed person to support your agenda rather than actually discuss the topic.
You are so full of it and continue to deflect and project.

I want some studies on the relationship between a 0% payroll tax and aiding the unemployed - with business startups.

Not your unfounded correlation is causation nonsense.

What’s the matter? Can’t find a real study?. Color me unsurprised.

Old 03-11-2020, 12:07 AM

Quote:
You are so full of it and continue to deflect and project.

I want some studies on the relationship between a 0% payroll tax and aiding the unemployed - with business startups.

Not your unfounded correlation is causation nonsense.

What’s the matter? Can’t find a real study?. Color me unsurprised.

Why would I try to find a study for YOUR claim? If you're trying to find evidence of your claim, you should learn how to do the research. Not pawn it on others. Consider learning the power of the internet.

Old 03-11-2020, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Why would I try to find a study for YOUR claim? If you're trying to find evidence of your claim, you should learn how to do the research.
Because I’m not the one backing a totally unproven, unfounded concept? Duh?

And it’s 100% your claim that a 0% payroll tax would aid the unemployed in founding a startup. You lawyers are too funny.

Old 03-11-2020, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Because I’m not the one backing a totally unproven, unfounded concept? Duh?

And it’s 100% your claim that a 0% payroll tax would aid the unemployed in founding a startup. You lawyers are too funny.
That's your claim. Not mine. You got that from this??? You need to learn to do research to support your claims.

Quote:
I don't agree with this. I've been thinking about this for some time. Payroll tax cuts would make it easier for me to start a business should I lose my job. The early years are difficult and without having to pay payroll taxes, I can ride into next year on a business idea much more easily.

You keep bringing up that I'm a lawyer. Yes, I have a degree or a few. If you had gotten a college education you would understand the difference between the statement you are pushing and what I actually said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies