Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2020, 11:57 PM

43,731 posts, read 18,752,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
I didn't know Cal Govt Code 8567 existed. And I've been living here more than half my life. But now I do.

You know, I wonder if, one year ago with no coronavirus or other emergency in sight, if Governor Newsom thought it would be nice to have a Minimum Wage of $20/hr in California... is there anything preventing him from simply issuing an "Order" that it is so, and thus create a statewide LAW with no input from the Legislature, under Cal Govt Code 8567?
CA and this law...oh the irony is not lost on me.

Old 03-20-2020, 12:06 AM

18,800 posts, read 7,712,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
I didn't know Cal Govt Code 8567 existed. And I've been living here more than half my life. But now I do.

You know, I wonder if, one year ago with no coronavirus or other emergency in sight, if Governor Newsom thought it would be nice to have a Minimum Wage of $20/hr in California... is there anything preventing him from simply issuing an "Order" that it is so, and thus create a statewide LAW with no input from the Legislature, under Cal Govt Code 8567?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
CA and this law...oh the irony is not lost on me.
Ditto.

But I also wonder, with the Governor of CA empowered to make any law at any time on any subject....

...what is the purpose of having a State Legislature at all?

Last edited by Roboteer; 03-20-2020 at 12:30 AM..

Old 03-20-2020, 12:15 AM

29,554 posts, read 22,904,170 times
I'm willing to bet many people are simply going to ignore this despite many non-essential stores being closed and food services takeout/delivery only.

I still see a lot of cars outside, these kinds of things are only as good as the people willing to abide by them.

And simply going out to the supermarket and things of that sort violate the intent and spirit of isolating yourselves.

Old 03-20-2020, 12:18 AM

11,124 posts, read 5,637,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet619 View Post
Seriously? I would think it's pretty self-evident why you would want the population to get the necessities of life.

However, considering your posting history it's entirely possible you don't understand...a lot.

I have gone out just twice in the last month for necessities and made another foray tonight. I was surprised at how many things were still in stock at the discount grocery I visited. There were no dry beans, peas or wholegrain rice, but plenty of big bags of refined rice, if that's what you wanted. I bought lots of fruit, vegetables, canned food, vitamin C and calcium pills. There was a big stock of distilled vinegar, so I got two gallons, to spray for hand-sanitizer and on all surfaces and on fruits and vegetables eaten uncooked. It will also cure your athlete's foot. The public bus service was free, although there was very low ridership. They had you enter and exit through the rear door, which I can't quite understand.

There have been just two confirmed cases of coronavirus in our county. One is a 69 year-old man who is said to be recovering at home. A 60 year-old woman was brought to a hospital shortly before her death from a heart attack and was tested to have the virus. No telling how it may have contributed to her heart attack.

I'm going to be staying home, except for walking and running on the streets late at night and taking a camera to undeveloped wildlands nearby. I have a full set of exercise equipment and several machines at home. A routine scheduled office call with a doctor in five weeks can probably be done over the phone. My many years of practicing at social-distancing has become stylish. For those sequestered at home, newly-discovered options for exchanges of benefits with previously ignored neighbors may exist. But now, there is one more risk to be added to the others, for that sort of thing.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 03-20-2020 at 12:28 AM..

Old 03-20-2020, 12:20 AM

38,691 posts, read 26,489,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I think his handling of the Coronavirus has guaranteed he will not be reelected. We are in the very beginning stages of this crisis. We need a President who leads and inspires people, not someone who holds press conferences to brag about himself.
The press in this country is very dishonest and leans hard left.

I have no problem with Trump pointing that out as often as he feels it's needed.

Asked if the president’s decision to golf Sunday at Andrews Air Force Base was part of a White House strategy to reassure people, Gibbs chuckled and replied: “I’m not sure I’d draw a direct conclusion.”

https://www.politico.com/story/2009/...th-team-021719

See how that's different?

Old 03-20-2020, 12:24 AM

33,479 posts, read 12,748,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
OP, I have not once ever heard anyone say anything like this. And since I didn't hear anything like this I didn't even waste my time to read your thread either.

Yet you did spend the time to reply within it .

Old 03-20-2020, 12:25 AM

37,198 posts, read 42,397,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I'm willing to bet many people are simply going to ignore this despite many non-essential stores being closed and food services takeout/delivery only.

I still see a lot of cars outside, these kinds of things are only as good as the people willing to abide by them.

And simply going out to the supermarket and things of that sort violate the intent and spirit of isolating yourselves.
There are always some who ignore everything but the majority of people ARE staying home. No, that doesn't mean nobody is out because things still have to be done, but interactions between people have been drastically cut and that's all we can really do.

Old 03-20-2020, 12:25 AM

6,246 posts, read 3,642,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
From both sides. Here are the headlines:
Fox: California Gov. Gavin Newsom announces statewide coronavirus 'stay at home' order
CNN: California orders its nearly 40 million residents to stay home to prevent the spread of coronavirus

Now let's look at some of the contents of the articles:

Nothing about people being ordered to stay home. And why would grocery stores be allowed to stay open if everyone was ordered to stay home?

So it's basically just a suggestion?

So, how exactly is this a "stay at home order" if not a single person has been ordered to stay at home?
It's real. Check out Newsom's twitter, where he posted his Facebook Live announcement of this.

Last edited by Kaphawoman; 03-20-2020 at 12:43 AM..

Old 03-20-2020, 12:26 AM

18,800 posts, read 7,712,107 times
Well, this particular "Order" of March 19 does have a convenient loophole. It also says:

"Californians must have access to necessities such as food, prescriptions, and health care. When people need to leave their homes or places of residence, whether to obtain or perform the functions above, or to otherwise facilitate authorized necessary activities, they should at all times practice social distancing."

It was awful nice of Gov. Newsom to include that. It strongly implies that we CAN leave our homes occasionally to go get food, health care and other "necessities".

I don't so much mind this particular Order, it seems to be written fairly well and for good purposes.

What I mind is that the Gov apparently has the authority to write ANY such order at any time, and nothing compels him to make it nice. Cal Govt Code 8567 gives him powers that Julius Caesar could only dream of.

I'm trying to think of any legislation I've ever seen in the Unites States that I would consider more "un-American" than this. And coming up empty.

Calif Govt Section 8567 can be found here in its entirety:
https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/governm...sect-8567.html

Last edited by Roboteer; 03-20-2020 at 12:34 AM..

Old 03-20-2020, 12:26 AM

37,198 posts, read 42,397,544 times
Who thought this exactly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies