Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2020, 11:24 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,848,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
If it's that easy, it is deserved.
Ask the stock boy at the grocery store who keep toilet paper on the shelf. It's very easy to sow discord when so many refuse to seek solutions, but rather seek blame. Blame is easy, if it's untrue, especially if you're feeling inconvenienced.

We need 007 to fight "chaos"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2020, 12:21 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,258,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post

Nothing in that article even remotely hinted at a bailout. He said we would do things to help them with absolute no mention of loans or grants or money. In fact, his mention of people getting on or off sounds like he is talking about providing assistance in testing passengers deboarding.

Old 03-12-2020, 12:28 PM

3,338 posts, read 1,969,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Cruises are the lamest thing ever. Did one, and I’ll never do that again.
Same here. The only thing slightly interesting were the ports of call. The rest of the time drink heavily.
Which I can do here for a fraction of the price.

Old 03-12-2020, 12:32 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,816,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Worse than that, I see a lot of people spread those crackers or other snacks across the tray surface then eat them.
You travelled with my husband?

Old 03-12-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
Some of us have no reason to go anywhere other than where we are now. Not even to the next town. I would never again go on a cruise and don't fly anymore because it hurts.

Otherwise, I have no desire to travel to any country other than the one I'm currently in unless I'm sent off somewhere for being a total nut, and for me, I have been living in a foreign land since birth anyhow.
About 30 million people cruise a year. About half of cruises originate or disembark or call at US ports. Cruises include 3 day booze cruises to the Bahamas - 3+ month world cruises.

The state and people of Alaska are going to be in a world of hurt if the 2020 cruise season does not materialize.
When people engaged in tourism don’t work they don’t get paid. The proposed temporary Payroll Tax holiday is meaningless, without income. That 5 months of income and welfare benefits get people through the other 7 months.

Old 03-12-2020, 12:46 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,258,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enraeh View Post
Same here. The only thing slightly interesting were the ports of call. The rest of the time drink heavily.
Which I can do here for a fraction of the price.
LMAO...I can imagine!!

Only REAL cruise I’ve ever done is the one Volvo arranges from either Hull, UK or Kiel, Germany to Goteborg, Sweden to pick up your new car. I did it back in ‘97, and it was an absolute blast. The factory tour was fun and the week in Sweden was spectacular driving your new car around before putting it on the boat to be shipped back home.

I don’t think the program is in effect anymore. Heard that when they got caught up in the Ford acquisition, they ended it because it wasn’t a money maker.

You should’ve seen the Scandinavian waitresses and hostesses on that ship though! My wife slapped me upside the head several times!

Old 03-12-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Nothing in that article even remotely hinted at a bailout. He said we would do things to help them with absolute no mention of loans or grants or money. In fact, his mention of people getting on or off sounds like he is talking about providing assistance in testing passengers deboarding.
Thinking assistance is more likely to come in the form of a tax credit and certainly not limited to cruise lines. Airlines and hotels are struggling, too.

Trade shows/ conventions are cancelling in Las Vegas, Orlando and Chicago. This impacts air travel, hotels, transportation, tourism, dining, sales taxes and very real people who don’t get paid when they don’t work.

Old 03-12-2020, 12:54 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,067,920 times
How does Trump help passengers deboarding help the Princess cruise lines that has cancelled all cruises. I'll have to think on that.

Of course he was suggesting a stimulus.

And yes - the people who moaned about Obama stimulus have to moan about Trump or they are no better than the people they moan about who pick and choose when to moan. (Whole lot of moaning going on).

I have mixed feelings about a stimulus package , They sometimes work..the auto bailout I was dead set against -- I mean I was passionately dead set against. DAM auto companies, they need to manage their business better. But they got their stimulus, kept jobs, AND eventually added jobs.

But if they didn't get their stimulus would there have been an auto industry to keep adding jobs to in 2017/2018. That's an interesting debate isn't it. Is Ford's good fortunate today because OBama bailed them out back in the day? And then Trump gets to dance around claiming -look at what I did -- lol.

Let's see what is offered up.

do wish we had access to the various programs being thrown around and offer our input. I know it would be pure chaos.

Old 03-12-2020, 02:11 PM

3,338 posts, read 1,969,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LMAO...I can imagine!!

Only REAL cruise I’ve ever done is the one Volvo arranges from either Hull, UK or Kiel, Germany to Goteborg, Sweden to pick up your new car. I did it back in ‘97, and it was an absolute blast. The factory tour was fun and the week in Sweden was spectacular driving your new car around before putting it on the boat to be shipped back home.

I don’t think the program is in effect anymore. Heard that when they got caught up in the Ford acquisition, they ended it because it wasn’t a money maker.

You should’ve seen the Scandinavian waitresses and hostesses on that ship though! My wife slapped me upside the head several times!
Mine was Mexican Riviera and I was fortunate to be with a group that had contacts in Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan so we got “behind the scenes” tours of how people really live away from the tourista areas. Eye opening. Plus the shrimping industry in Mazatlan is a labor intensive by hand occupation that employs as many as possible instead of machinery to sort and grade the product. And of course the must see tequila distilleries offering samples. But I got the general idea of cruising and won’t do it again.

Old 03-12-2020, 02:14 PM

36,623 posts, read 30,945,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Hilarious. Millions of people lost their health insurance under Trump but he doesn't care about them - just about the cushy cruise line corporations.
??How so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies