Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Has the coronavirus changed your view on universal health care and guaranteed paid sick days?
Yes, society as a whole benefits when we ensure people have health care and dont transmit diseases at work 38 52.78%
No, if people cant pay for it, they should go without 34 47.22%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 12:29 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,969,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Flawed poll, my view has not changed at all. I am all for mandated sick leave, at least when a pandemic has been declared, and I am for access to healthcare for everyone, but not necessarily meaning universal health care as in the UK or Canada type system.
All countries always have access to health care. Access simply is a question of how much money you have. There is no society where the people with money can not get health care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2020, 12:50 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,750,634 times
When you finally get the free healthcare you wanted

Old 03-17-2020, 12:55 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,984,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
No. We should have had them before. We should have them now. But Republicans feel we can't afford them because we need to spend $850 billion bailing out airlines and giving tax cuts to the rich instead
Agreed, we SHOULD have paid sick days and quality health insurance. Which is why I've done everything in my life to secure a job that offers both.

Should the government force businesses to provide them to every worker, regardless of their skill level or wage? NO!

Old 03-17-2020, 01:11 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,973,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Agreed, we SHOULD have paid sick days and quality health insurance. Which is why I've done everything in my life to secure a job that offers both.

Should the government force businesses to provide them to every worker, regardless of their skill level or wage? NO!
Ok. And now because we don't have it, COVID-19 has become a much larger problem than it otherwise would have been, Americans who could have sought treatment promptly won't, and they will spread the disease much faster than in countries that offer health care and sick leave to their workers. It will cost far more to handle the economic depression to follow and more people will die. But God forbid we actually regulate the behavior of big business to save lives.

Old 03-17-2020, 01:58 PM

16,618 posts, read 8,625,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Has the pandemic in any way made you reconsider your position on health care and paid sick days?
No

Special situations call for special measures, but that does not mean you change the basic facts due to a natural disaster or the like.

Sadly many on the left are using this as a means to try and push their agenda, rather than just dealing with this pandemic and funding direct measures to combat it. Pelosi trying to insert things like repealing the Hyde Amendment (has nothing to do with COVID-9) is a perfect example.

`

Old 03-17-2020, 02:42 PM

35,718 posts, read 21,081,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
There is absolutely nothing that a government can do to protect its people from a truly bad worldwide pandemic. We will be screwed no matter what. Life is like that.

You think that your government’s healthcare system can save you if a large asteroid strikes the earth? LOL
If have ins you get help. If don’t, people don’t go to the Dr n get sick - stay sick, their kids get sick and pass it on to your kids on the school bus.

Old 03-17-2020, 02:44 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,076,230 times
I am 1000% against government run single payer healthcare. Quality goes up and prices go down when there
is competition. Government run anything has no incentive for improvements and they're not held accountable for their incompetence.

It would also, very dangerously, give them the power to decide who lives or dies, who gets life saving treatment or gets told to go home and die.

Do we want our healthcare run by an entity that can't even run Amtrack? That teaches "history" in our
schools to comply with the lies of the fake news media and anti american bs from the left?

Old 03-17-2020, 02:47 PM

34,240 posts, read 18,599,254 times
Flawed poll. People that can't afford it are provided healthcare with NO CHARGE. Nice try and misleading though, OP.

Old 03-17-2020, 02:47 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times
Silly poll. Try some better choices.

Old 03-17-2020, 02:48 PM

2,450 posts, read 974,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
No. We should have had them before. We should have them now. But Republicans feel we can't afford them because we need to spend $850 billion bailing out airlines and giving tax cuts to the rich instead
That figure is incorrect. $50 billion for the airlines out of an $850 relief package that isn't a giveaway. It's mostly low-interest loans. For the people that don't have health insurance, **** em'. They made their life choices and I refuse to pay for them. Let them die and be forgotten as people and use their deaths an example of what happens to the irresponsible. I feel the same way about drug addicts too. Let them OD and die. No rehab, no tough love. **** em' all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies