Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2020, 11:57 AM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times

Advertisements

In southwest WA. I work from home full time anyway so no real impact work wise. We've got a 3 week supply of non-perishables but replenishing fresh has become problematic. Have 2 bidets so tp supply is fine. Dogs have enough food until the sun goes supernova.

Doctor/dentist appointments are being cancelled by those offices. My wife is high risk, recovering from a cancer related surgery. Both our sets of parents are high risk, and not taking it seriously having bought the Fox news/Trump initial dismissive tune. More upset about events being cancelled in their retirement community. Wife is extremely freaked out and basically having occasional nervous breakdowns. I've asked her to sign off social media/news/etc and stop feeding that monster.

I'm mostly worried about the economic impact. Layoffs at work have started. Have been applying to other places and some of them are freezing hiring.

Basically physically fine and secure so far. But an emotional toll is definitely ongoing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2020, 03:37 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
In southwest WA. I work from home full time anyway so no real impact work wise. We've got a 3 week supply of non-perishables but replenishing fresh has become problematic. Have 2 bidets so tp supply is fine. Dogs have enough food until the sun goes supernova.

Doctor/dentist appointments are being cancelled by those offices. My wife is high risk, recovering from a cancer related surgery. Both our sets of parents are high risk, and not taking it seriously having bought the Fox news/Trump initial dismissive tune. More upset about events being cancelled in their retirement community. Wife is extremely freaked out and basically having occasional nervous breakdowns. I've asked her to sign off social media/news/etc and stop feeding that monster.

I'm mostly worried about the economic impact. Layoffs at work have started. Have been applying to other places and some of them are freezing hiring.

Basically physically fine and secure so far. But an emotional toll is definitely ongoing.
Can we ask why? Is someone you know sick? I would suggest to not get all worked up over this thing. IS it a whole new world ? maybe. but letting your emotions control you is sure way path to destruction..

Old 03-18-2020, 03:39 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Same thing I did when I found out about the following:

Acute Flaccid Myelitis (AFM)
Anaplasmosis
Anthrax
Babesiosis
Botulism
Brucellosis
snipped the list. What a bunch of nonsense. None of those have the possibility to kill 2.2 million americans this year. Maybe you should educate yourself on what were facing here.

Old 03-18-2020, 03:50 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Can we ask why? Is someone you know sick? I would suggest to not get all worked up over this thing. IS it a whole new world ? maybe. but letting your emotions control you is sure way path to destruction..
My wife had anxiety issues before this whole thing even hit. It's not something a person can just decide to turn off or explain why. Brains are funny things.

Old 03-18-2020, 04:09 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,811,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
I was posting on another thread and thought about this:

How has your day to day changed for you at your workplace and how has your company been impacted?

For me I don't have an official office and work at home or in a "guest office" when I"m on a site location. I have stopped travelling to the actual offices in all of our markets because I don't want to be the cause of spread in our company. Most of our people have done this.

As far as impact on our business, it has seen a few losses, maybe between a 5 and 10 percent downturn.
I am not panicked....yet.

It's pretty tolerable since the pandemic got more extreme. I'm actually doing something at work and my duties sometimes vary a bit throughout the day. I have less people to deal with (big plus on my mental health). I also don't have to go unless I want to get paid that day. I wish it could be like this all the time so I'm dreading when things get back to normal. I mean I still don't really like it..it's not like it is interesting work but I like it 100 percent more than my normal job. The only downside is it probably is more difficult on my tendonitis.
On the other hand I am worried that because of the pandemic it's going to be more difficult to get a new job so I might be in my job longer later. It's annoying that now I have even more time to go look for a new job since I don't even have to show up it's not going to do any good because they are even less apt to hire me due to the crisis.

I really wish I could do work at home though. I'd still keep busy but without the stress on my feet.

Old 03-18-2020, 04:18 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
I’m retired, so its just another Saturday.

Old 03-18-2020, 04:42 PM

2,102 posts, read 1,004,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I’m retired, so its just another Saturday.
Me too... oh crap - it's Saturday!!!

Old 03-18-2020, 05:05 PM

1,334 posts, read 2,994,152 times
Oddly enough I stopped going to the gym a week ago and I feel really good. I think my body needed a good rest. I walk about an hour a day . Mentally/ emotionally it’s been difficult watching the country seemingly collapse right in front of our eyes. I pray this situation is over and done with soon.

Old 03-18-2020, 05:47 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,279,232 times
I alter wedding gowns, so everything is a huge mess. My thinking has been to get the April and May dresses I’ve already started finished ASAP, reschedule the ones I haven’t started, and postpone anything for June. Problem is, I have things like one bride who won’t reschedule, even though I told her I wasn’t going to be available for her appointment. There’s another who was a no-show, and I got voicemail when I tried to see what was up. Another who was gettin married in Italy who was crying so hard on the phone I couldn’t get anywhere with her. It’s been difficult, and will probably only get worse.

Shop is almost completely shut down for now, so it remains to be seen what kind of work will be available for next year’s weddings.

Old 03-18-2020, 06:52 PM

35,703 posts, read 21,063,743 times
First was two days a week two separate teams now it’s we don’t want to see your faces at all. I’m ok with that except one person in the office didn’t take her laptop n prob won’t go pick it up. She’s the princess in the office - so I’m sure they will let her just skim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies