Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 01:29 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
those with 401k's will now have to decide who will more quickly return their accounts to pre-coronavirus levels, Biden or Trump.

I betting on Trump.
The consumer, businesses, management of those businesses, employees of those businesses, and investors will drive 401ks to higher values. It certainly won't be because of some dope that a bunch of financially ignorant Americans decide can do the job.

Old 03-19-2020, 01:43 PM

19,844 posts, read 12,106,658 times
My 401k is a little more than double what it was 11/08/2016 with no additional contributions. It's down less than 5% from its peak.

Old 03-19-2020, 01:54 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
How about the guy that shut off incoming flights from China before any other country while you libs screamed and whined that it was xenophobic and racist.
That step alone is worth my vote.
Gee, if only he had done that. But Americans were still allowed to travel freely between the two countries, spreading the virus and bringing it back to the U.S., so it was basically a useless gesture. I can see how it impressed the uninformed, though.

Old 03-19-2020, 02:07 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
You are off target with this.

Many already know presidents do not control markets... but they do contribute to the market environment.

Trump has set up the environment for America to grow and increase.

Obama set the environment for market in a bunch of regulatory sludge. So he couldn't control the market- like you said - but the environment he set held it back from what it did under Trump. If you look at numerous news articles at the end of his term, they were lamenting the economic performance of the country.
I'm not off target. Point was that Trump failed to look at market trends. If he cared about America's business environment like you seem to think he did/does, then he would have noticed the trends and took steps or even spoke about what was going on and what could happen in an effort to stem the panicky reaction that Americans had to it. Especially in relation to the shortages of certain supplies - a true leader could have mitigated some of this damage before it started.

And if you think Obama didn't "set the environment for America to grow and increase" then why did America grow and increase between 2010 and 2017?

Obama actually paid attention to the markets and his advisors in this regard, which is why the many outbreaks of diseases during his term did not cause as much panic as this one did. Trump has done nothing for the business environment. He just sat back and let the economy continue to grow. As noted, I give him credit for that. That was my main "like" about him in that he didn't f up our economy and with everything he wanted to remove that Obama did, he didn't do anything of note to or for the economy. Someone else in the thread mentioned the fact that Trump has had nothing catastrophic to deal with until this in his administration. He was lucky and IMO we were lucky that he did not. Obama and GW Bush dealt with way more and GW Bush IMO did a better job staving off the economic downturn after 9/11 than Trump is doing/has done. He was calm, he took the advice of experts, and he gave rational comments about what was going on. The fact that the collaspe didn't happen until the end of his term in many ways IMO was due to him working his ass off to try to prevent it. (including going to war in the middle east - wars always cause positive market gains).

However, he could have stemmed a lot of these losses if he'd been proactive from January 2020 forward. A lot of this market turmoil is directly related to the issues in the supply chain from Asia. For all his bragging about handling the Chinese, and wanting to bring back XYZ to America, he should have recognized there would be issues with supplies and reached out to the corporate community for advice/guidance on this issue.

I don't base my view of the markets from media summaries. I base it on my portfolio and the reaction to leaders of a variety of fronts. I also am aware of what Trump did policy-wise and nothing except the tax reform was of any value to the markets. Corporations like a decrease in taxes. Other regulatory things he got rid of were not anything that would impact the markets and for most of them they are just making our environment of the earth worse due to him allowing more pollution.

Old 03-19-2020, 02:24 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtornado View Post
What happened to the talking point that "Voters may not like everything about Trump, but they'll see their 401ks and vote him for another term to keep that trend going"

I'm not seeing that posted anywhere now...
Markets sometime go up and sometime go down.

Old 03-19-2020, 02:59 PM

21,142 posts, read 19,722,567 times
You’re just mad because Trump can’t cure viruses like Obama could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies