Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 10:02 AM

13,546 posts, read 17,107,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I agree with you too, but not for the same reasons. We are deliberately causing an economic depression and not solving the problem of COVID-19's spread. We are going about this all wrong. The whole idea behind stopping the spread of illness is quarantining. But we aren't doing it. Quarantining has to be strict. Instead, we're closing a lot of business but not others, many people are still working, people are out shopping, going to restaurants, parties, events, and continuing to spread the airborne virus. So all we're doing is shooting ourselves in the foot.

Closing all these businesses is not going to fix the problem when we're not really quarantining. People will still get COVID-19 and die. Meanwhile, people will also die from hunger and homelessness. Millions of jobs will be lost. Shutting down businesses will affect every industry, not just hospitality and travel. If people can't work, they will not be able to support themselves or their families. We will have an economic depression the likes of which we have never seen before. And for what? A virus that is mild for most of us and we'll all end up getting anyway.

We should quarantine the immunocompromised and elderly only who are less likely to be working, everyone else continue working their jobs as before, let the illness run through us since it is mild for most of us, and any of us who get it and need hospitalized will be able to get medical treatment since we're protecting the people most at risk. In the meantime we can support ourselves financially. But this approach is moronic and will ultimately fail.
In reality, we should have had complete lockdown for 2-3 weeks, with continued isolation for those infected, the second a case was discovered in the US.

The economic damage done would have been much less than what we may see if those goes on for months more.

Old 03-19-2020, 10:04 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,701,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacommonwealth View Post
Millions of dead in the US.? How many deaths do you guess we will really have in the end? Will the number even approach the number of deaths the U. S. sees in an average flu season?
Nobody knows. Do you? Why would you ask a question that has no possible answer?
Why has Trump done a complete 180 on his covid 19 take?
That's a better question.

Old 03-19-2020, 10:06 AM

30,538 posts, read 23,961,115 times
Quote:
I agree with you too, but not for the same reasons. We are deliberately causing an economic depression and not solving the problem of COVID-19's spread. We are going about this all wrong. The whole idea behind stopping the spread of illness is quarantining. But we aren't doing it. Quarantining has to be strict. Instead, we're closing a lot of business but not others, many people are still working, people are out shopping, going to restaurants, parties, events, and continuing to spread the airborne virus. So all we're doing is shooting ourselves in the foot.

Closing all these businesses is not going to fix the problem when we're not really quarantining. People will still get COVID-19 and die. Meanwhile, people will also die from hunger and homelessness. Millions of jobs will be lost. Shutting down businesses will affect every industry, not just hospitality and travel. If people can't work, they will not be able to support themselves or their families. We will have an economic depression the likes of which we have never seen before. And for what? A virus that is mild for most of us and we'll all end up getting anyway.

We should quarantine the immunocompromised and elderly only who are less likely to be working, everyone else continue working their jobs as before, let the illness run through us since it is mild for most of us, and any of us who get it and need hospitalized will be able to get medical treatment since we're protecting the people most at risk. In the meantime we can support ourselves financially. But this approach is moronic and will ultimately fail.
I agree with every part that I bolded. Spot on. So fricken spot on, I can't stand it. WHY in the hell are others NOT getting this?

Old 03-19-2020, 10:07 AM

2,949 posts, read 1,366,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Thank you! The phrasing of that rankles me. "A couple hundred old people"..as if their age devalues them and makes them expendable.

Friends have sent me FB posts they've come across and I've seen others on my feed where these punks are saying this virus is a good thing. It will kill "althea old people off" so younger people can take over.

When I saw this thread title my hackles went up. Cuz I fall in that "old people" bracket.
Were the younger folks to "take over," Covid-19 would not be our worst problem we face.

Last edited by self-made; 03-19-2020 at 11:11 AM..

Old 03-19-2020, 10:08 AM

11,519 posts, read 14,727,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Yeah, stupid old people Some people just dont get it
Sad, isn't it? Each person's life is of value. Well, CDC said young are being hospitalized, too. They may have effects from this virus long term. Sad for all.

Old 03-19-2020, 10:08 AM

17,053 posts, read 12,671,313 times
It is more than a couple hundred.

Old 03-19-2020, 10:09 AM

61,254 posts, read 87,702,448 times
This post explains the young’s oblivious behavior to the virus
If grandpa Gets it from you and dies you get money
Did anybody see “knives out” yep We raised a crop of parasites
I backtrack on my criticism of Hollywood they in fact at times reflect the nation correctly

Old 03-19-2020, 10:12 AM

11,189 posts, read 10,782,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
I think more old people have died of natural causes than coronavirus since this all started.

wth is going on?
My parents, aunts, uncles, and many friends fall into that "old people" category. I'd prefer to keep them around a bit longer and not have them taken out by what you and the rest of the mental midgets complaining about not being able to go to the bar or hang out at the club consider to be "a simple cold".

I've spent the past week at the hospital talking to doctors, nurses, and even a virologist who was eating lunch in the midst of his 20-hour shift trying to figure out how to stop this damn thing, and I've picked up a bit of knowledge on the subject. This isn't a simple cold, and it isn't the flu. There is no specific treatment, there is no vaccine, and it spreads aggressively.

Stop complaining about the fact that the government is actually doing something useful for a change and trying to keep us all from dying of our own stupidity, and start listening to what the experts who actually have a clue are telling you.

Keep your entitled ass at home, don't raid the grocery store for every gallon of milk, loaf of bread, and pack of toilet paper they have in stock. Don't go hang out at your buddy's house because he's having a "quarantine party," stay the hell away from people as much as possible, and maybe, just maybe, you and whatever older people who are in your life - you know, those expendable ones who you apparently don't give a rodent's rectum about - will survive. And by the way, it isn't just those "old people" who are susceptible. Young children, people recovering from surgeries (which category my daughter currently belongs to), people with ongoing health problems, etc., are all potential fatalities if they contract this virus.

In short, stop being an idiot.

Old 03-19-2020, 10:16 AM

2,495 posts, read 875,175 times
Quote:
...We should quarantine the immunocompromised and elderly only who are less likely to be working,....
Bill of Rights be damned. And for how long?

Old 03-19-2020, 10:24 AM

51,736 posts, read 26,043,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Nobody knows. Do you? Why would you ask a question that has no possible answer?
Why has Trump done a complete 180 on his covid 19 take?
That's a better question.
Great question.

First Fox did a 180. Then Trump did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies