Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 09:48 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
That is true.

However, this is the "real deal". We just had a medical staff meeting about this. All of the precautions and measures taken are 100% appropriate. The only way this crisis turns out better than the Spanish Flu is through aggressive policies to curb the spread.

This is a real medical crisis and people should understand that it is not an overblown hoax. We just banned elective surgical cases to preserve resources; gloves, masks, and gowns are already in short supply. Discussions were made of using the anesthesia machines in the OR as ventilators and using the OR rooms as urgent (ICU rooms).

Hospitals and physician practices are not committing economic suicide for nothing. Think about that for a few minutes.
I believe what you are saying, but is this virus that much worse than all the previous ones in the not too distant past to justify this type of reaction, or over reaction? My instincts tell me no, and there are other motivations in place. None of them good for the U.S.

6,752 posts, read 3,370,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
Way overkill, stupid
Hmmm...

As of Thursday morning:

229,973 Cases worldwide
Deaths: 9,386
Recovered: 86,256

And you think the world's response is overkill? If you aren't taking precautions then you're just being callous, selfish, and have no regard for anyone else.

Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 29 days ago)

27,651 posts, read 16,138,284 times
Yeah, stupid old people Some people just dont get it

Old 03-19-2020, 09:51 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
I think more old people have died of natural causes than coronavirus since this all started.

wth is going on?
wow...way to show compassion for your fellow humans

you must be a millennial

Old 03-19-2020, 09:51 AM

12,450 posts, read 9,540,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Pearls before swine, hawkeye. This has been explained ad nauseam here on this board. Those who are determined to remain willfully ignorant are ignoring all the explanations, and instead are whining like the OP. Your experience and wisdom is not enough to get through to them.
I agree... you have people who seem to refuse to acknowledge that this is a developing situation that is getting worse every day, and say "what's the big deal"? Even though the big deal has been explained countless times, in countless places. Maybe not at "Infowars".

Then you have the conservatives stockpiling guns and ammo and foaming at the mouth, shrieking that this is a government takeover and we're about to enslaved and/or marched off to the gas chambers by the gubmint. They too refuse to believe what public health experts around the world are saying, and have to invent some alternative sinister explanation, a world-wide conspiracy, to understand the world around them.

Old 03-19-2020, 09:53 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nap1313 View Post
It’s more doing what we can to help the medical system not completely collapse. It’s not just about people dying from COVID 19, but the people who will die from other preventable causes because there is no space or equipment to treat them. All those that get in serious car accidents, go into anaphylactic shock, have a stroke, etc. These people will also die since there won’t be any space, equipment, or staff to help them.
This is what doesn't ever seem to get through the thick-headed. When they or one of their loved ones can't get an ICU bed after being in a serious car accident maybe then it will start to dawn on them. But until and unless they are forced to watch them die from lack of medical care because the system just doesn't have the resources to treat them, it won't ever penetrate their thick skulls.

Old 03-19-2020, 09:57 AM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Well this is heartbreaking. 42 year old mom of 6 beats stage 4 breast cancer just to be taken out by this.
https://katu.com/news/coronavirus/br...ovid-19-victim

Old 03-19-2020, 09:58 AM

1,086 posts, read 442,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
A couple hundred old people? Don't you understand that this is only the beginning? If we do nothing now, it will be in the millions. Actions now should save lives later. Does that not matter to you?
Millions of dead in the US.? How many deaths do you guess we will really have in the end? Will the number even approach the number of deaths the U. S. sees in an average flu season?

Old 03-19-2020, 09:59 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
That is true.

However, this is the "real deal". We just had a medical staff meeting about this. All of the precautions and measures taken are 100% appropriate. The only way this crisis turns out better than the Spanish Flu is through aggressive policies to curb the spread.

This is a real medical crisis and people should understand that it is not an overblown hoax. We just banned elective surgical cases to preserve resources; gloves, masks, and gowns are already in short supply. Discussions were made of using the anesthesia machines in the OR as ventilators and using the OR rooms as urgent (ICU rooms).

Hospitals and physician practices are not committing economic suicide for nothing. Think about that for a few minutes.
Thank you for being a voice or reason. Is this really the same Hawkeye2009, or has someone hijacked his user name?

Old 03-19-2020, 10:01 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by self-made View Post
Am I the only one that thinks it is insane we intentionally crashed our economy for a couple hundred old people?

I'm not in the camp of "sacrifice them to protect us." I believe the older people have just as much value and worth as the younger people do.
Thank you! The phrasing of that rankles me. "A couple hundred old people"..as if their age devalues them and makes them expendable.

Friends have sent me FB posts they've come across and I've seen others on my feed where these punks are saying this virus is a good thing. It will kill "althea old people off" so younger people can take over.

When I saw this thread title my hackles went up. Cuz I fall in that "old people" bracket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies