Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2020, 09:15 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,065,647 times

Advertisements

Bobby,
You make a great point. This problem with misunderstanding is a constant with progressives and President Trump. Said another way, it is the same old taking Pres. Trump literally as opposed to seriously.

I'll be the first to acknowledge that Mr Trump's Queens fractured syntax and tendency to overstatement aids in his enemies' reinterpretation of his remarks. But, come on folks, he is who he is, as are most over age 40.

I'll take hope over the sky is falling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
Again, you are conflating "pretty good idea" with "proven", they are two VERY different things.

Also, the doctors said "no" about field testing being better than lab testing, not "no" to having a pretty good idea if it's working after several days of a large field study.

You seem to be the person misunderstanding what he's saying by implying certainty to statements about what he hopes the case is or what he thinks could happen. Honestly I hope it's just you playing political games rather than it seriously being the best you can do.

Odds are within the next few days we'll have a MUCH better ides as to how well certain drug combinations work in treating COVID-19. That's objectively true. Now we won't have PROOF that it works, and we won't have 100% certainty behind how often it works, but we will have a considerably better understanding of the validity of those treatments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2020, 09:17 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
99% of infected people treat themselves with water and 2 day binge of Game Of Thrones and come out just fine.
actually, aren't we in the 20% range of hospitalization for identified cases?

Quote:
You see everything in a hyper-partisan light, but I think most people simply hope the government would stop selling this as the new black death or ebola, and allow people to get back to normal life.
it appears we are only hoping that everyone will find a way to be non-partisan. obviously, some % on each side simply can't, sadly.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:22 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,065,647 times
That is a an overstatement. "Human trials" are standard.

The thing that is different is the speed at which the trial is being ramped up. This Covid-19 is not your garden variety virus. It is virulent to the extreme and comes with a nasty new strain of pneumonia. Speed is justified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
So we are literally performing laboratory experiments on humans?

Old 03-31-2020, 09:33 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
actually, aren't we in the 20% range of hospitalization for identified cases?
We test only those who are already sick, and they may need hospitalization. Vast majority (99+%) of infected people stay home (and are told to do so) and watch TV.

This is NOT Ebola or Black Death.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:37 AM

25,738 posts, read 12,824,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
This is from a group of New York doctors led by Dr Zelenko. - outpatient medication for 600 patients.
All but one clear of Virus in 5 days. I’m in a high risk group, not really worried about getting the Wu-Flu. - but if I should, this is what I will ask my doctor for and sign any waiver to get it. According to these Doctors, it’s important to take the regimen early.

1. Hydroxychloroquine 200mg twice a day for 5 days
2. Azithromycin 500mg once a day for 5 days
3. Zinc sulfate 220mg once a day for 5 days
Do you think zinc alone as a daily supplement with vitamins C & D could help minimize it in a healthy 50+'er?

We've been taking C & D, but not zinc. We just take zinc when cold or flu symptoms first hit us.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
This is from a group of New York doctors led by Dr Zelenko. - outpatient medication for 600 patients.
All but one clear of Virus in 5 days. I’m in a high risk group, not really worried about getting the Wu-Flu. - but if I should, this is what I will ask my doctor for and sign any waiver to get it. According to these Doctors, it’s important to take the regimen early.

1. Hydroxychloroquine 200mg twice a day for 5 days
2. Azithromycin 500mg once a day for 5 days
3. Zinc sulfate 220mg once a day for 5 days
I read the NYC study was 1,100 patients...no?

Old 03-31-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
Again, you are conflating "pretty good idea" with "proven", they are two VERY different things.

Also, the doctors said "no" about field testing being better than lab testing, not "no" to having a pretty good idea if it's working after several days of a large field study.

You seem to be the person misunderstanding what he's saying by implying certainty to statements about what he hopes the case is or what he thinks could happen. Honestly I hope it's just you playing political games rather than it seriously being the best you can do.

Odds are within the next few days we'll have a MUCH better ides as to how well certain drug combinations work in treating COVID-19. That's objectively true. Now we won't have PROOF that it works, and we won't have 100% certainty behind how often it works, but we will have a considerably better understanding of the validity of those treatments.
Yep..nailed it...

Old 03-31-2020, 09:42 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
it appears we are only hoping that everyone will find a way to be non-partisan. obviously, some % on each side simply can't, sadly.
The government reaction, and the reaction of the population demonstrates a potential danger. It shows how easily the government can take full control of the situation, and 99% of the people will do exactly as told, and about 50% of the population will use every argument to support it.

It is somewhat ironic that it happens to be the Republicans who are most supportive of massive government intervention, even the partial martial law which has been imposed on them. Dems are supportive too, but while Republicans typically rage against such government intrusion, Dems have been more tolerant of it. If Republicans are 'all-in' and Dems tolerate, then who would stand up against it, if it had malicious motivations?

I am not saying there is malicious intent, but it seems people, and not only in US, can be taken under full control with ease whenever needed.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:47 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Serious question - can you tell me where this idea that it's a dangerous drug came from?

It's been in use for several decades to treat a variety of conditions, from malaria to lupus. I don't follow mainstream news narratives, so if that's where it came from, that would make a lot of sense. I do genuinely want to know where everyone's getting this idea, though.

I recall hearing something about "two grams can kill a person" which is 10x the normal dosage - of course a person shouldn't take 10x the recommended/prescribed dosage, of anything. Other than that, I'm at a loss as to where people are getting this idea. I'm sure it's not as safe as Tylenol, fine, but your statement above indicates that you think it's far more dangerous than it's worth, to try it and see if it works for some people.
I agree that it is certainly worth trying.

But like many effective medications, it IS dangerous if you take too much of it.

Also, the fact that a particular dosage is safe and effective against lupus doesn't mean that the same dosage is safe and effective against corona virus. Hence the need for testing.

So doctors using it against corona virus are flying by the seat of their pants. And there is no "recommended dosage" against corona virus that is supported by the kind of testing that we usually take for granted when we take something that our doctor prescribes for us. I think this use is fully justified under the circumstances, but you must admit that these are far from the usual circumstances.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:50 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Because someone drank fish bowl cleaner, or some kind of anti parasitic fish medication. Whatever it was they took, it said "not for human consumption" and the person took it anyways. And people are using this as yet another excuse to attack Trump, and the medication he claimed was showing promising results.
They took chloroquine phosphate - exactly the drug that Trump was taking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies