Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 09:27 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
It's not impossible. If the people living in LA and SF get sick enough of homeless people defecating and shooting up in the streets, it could easily shift to purple. It has only been 30 years since it was red. They elected the Terminator to replace Davis just 18 years ago.

It's more than likely to flip back at some point. That's how politics work.
Things can change in the period of 18 years. California's minority population has increased.

Demographics don't favor that in Los Angeles. Los Angeles is 48.5% Hispanic, 11.3% Asian, 9.6% Black, 28.3% White. Minorities make up about 70% of Los Angeles' population. And the Hispanic population in Los Angeles is mainly of Mexican, Salvadoran, and Guatemalan descent. A Republican victory could and has been pulled off several times in Miami, where Cubans, Colombians, and Venezuelans make up a large bulk of the Hispanic population. Not in Los Angeles.

The only way California would turn Republican again is if....

1) California became majority-White again, and mainly conservative Whites. Alot of White conservatives not already living in California don't want to live there.

2) If a Republican in California can garner a huge minority support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2020, 09:43 PM

8,340 posts, read 2,966,443 times
California is turning 3rd world by the minute. Decades ago I bragged about living in L.A. and Ca. Now it’s an embarrassment.

Old 03-21-2020, 09:44 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
California is turning 3rd world by the minute.
Parts of America were already close to 3rd world for over a century (i.e. parts of Appalachia and parts of Mississippi).

Old 03-21-2020, 09:51 PM

8,340 posts, read 2,966,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Parts of America were already close to 3rd world for over a century (i.e. parts of Appalachia and parts of Mississippi).
And most liberal cities have higher violent crime rates than any city in Appalachia. Interesting. California also has 1/3 of all Welfare recipients in the U.S.

The country’s greatest sanctuary state. Congrats.

Old 03-21-2020, 10:20 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
The thing is, much of California is liberal because it does not have to deal with the high percentage of the same minority populations as southern, midwest, and northeast states. If it did, it would be as red as states like Missouri, Tennessee, and Texas. Los Angeles is no Baltimore and SF is no Detroit.
I'm not liking this discussion much...when someone starts talking about how it requires "conservatives" to deal with minority population, that makes me kind of sick - it reeks of racism

Old 03-21-2020, 10:56 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
And most liberal cities have higher violent crime rates than any city in Appalachia. Interesting. California also has 1/3 of all Welfare recipients in the U.S.
The country’s greatest sanctuary state. Congrats.
I don't think you're right about crime being lower in Appalachia, two of the largest cities there, Birmingham Alabama and Knoxville Tennessee have very high crime rates.

For the most part crime is measured for the entire state, not just one or two cities with a democratic mayor, and when you measure statewide crime it is almost always higher in red states. https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...rate-by-state/

The population of California is 40 million, it wouldn't be surprising if 1/3 of welfare recipients live here, it's a huge state -but things look a lot different if you measure by # of recipients per 100,000 people. 32 States have a higher per capita number of SNAP recipients than California. SNAP rather than TANF is usually used because TANF is a time limited program and doesn't accurately represent the number of poor in a state. https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...ents-by-state/

Old 03-22-2020, 12:01 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,184,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm not liking this discussion much...when someone starts talking about how it requires "conservatives" to deal with minority population, that makes me kind of sick - it reeks of racism
Well, racism is the way of dealing with racial differences in all parts of the US and the world, mostly where high percentages of blacks are living among other races. Is it not? I'm simply stating reality.

Old 03-22-2020, 12:22 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,184,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I don't think you're right about crime being lower in Appalachia, two of the largest cities there, Birmingham Alabama and Knoxville Tennessee have very high crime rates.

For the most part crime is measured for the entire state, not just one or two cities with a democratic mayor, and when you measure statewide crime it is almost always higher in red states. https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...rate-by-state/

The population of California is 40 million, it wouldn't be surprising if 1/3 of welfare recipients live here, it's a huge state -but things look a lot different if you measure by # of recipients per 100,000 people. 32 States have a higher per capita number of SNAP recipients than California. SNAP rather than TANF is usually used because TANF is a time limited program and doesn't accurately represent the number of poor in a state. https://worldpopulationreview.com/st...ents-by-state/
As a "check the box as black" individual, I should feel sorry to have to say this but I'm not.

I have not looked up the crime stats for Birmingham, AL or Knoxville, TN, but I can almost bet most random violent crimes are committed by teens and early twenties, and although probably a good number of them are young white males, a disproportionate number are most likely black males and females.

In California, there aren't many places with high concentrations of the latter groups anymore - especially not poor ones. Entire formerly black areas are now Hispanic or Asian, and both groups work and live alongside non Hispanic whites with few problems and if so, seldom anything racial about it, almost always cultural differences.
For blacks, we are both racially and culturally not like anyone else.

Old 03-22-2020, 12:34 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
I still don't get why OP only considers African Americans to be the sole minorities. Since when did mestizo's, Asians, South Asians, Arabs, etc become the majority?

Old 03-22-2020, 12:34 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
It won't happen in any of our lifetimes....that's why most conservatives are fleeing. That will drop the percentage evne lower. Nothing conservative will ever be voted in again...well unless all the wacko libs suddenly turn conservative, and I don't see that happening.

There will be a major sea-change in the direction our country is going, that will swing into action after the November election, that has been brewing for several decades. The Republicans and their fellow-travelers will no longer be able to stretch out their dominance by unethical means. All their gerrymandering and voter-suppression won't sustain them this time. As they lose their hold, all the institutions of government they have skewed to their advantage, will be lost to them. This includes the courts at all levels.

The trend to liberalism in the younger half of the population, will block any comeback attempts conservatives could ever make. Younger people are much better informed and knowledge is the mortal enemy of conservative control. Organizations invoking religion as a means of control and power, especially fundamentalist ones, will be losing younger adherents by the millions and their political influence will diminish to insignificance. Religious groups may have to remove themselves from politics, to attract enough new members to survive. If anyone wants an example of how dangerous and destructive religious influence can be to a government and a society, just look to Iran.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 03-22-2020 at 12:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies