Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2020, 01:56 PM

11,233 posts, read 8,328,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
I have got some breaking news for you. Everybody is going to die.
Is that what you would say to comfort your own mother on her death-bed? If the answer is no (and God knows, I hope your answer is no), then you really should not project it onto strangers.

Just remember, these people who's life you seem to not care that much about are SOMEBODY's mother, father, child, sibling or world.

Just remember, they are all people, with families and loved ones. That is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2020, 01:56 PM

27,625 posts, read 21,163,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I've never liked Trump and I still think he's an obnoxious braggart.

But I was ready to stand up and cheer at the press conference yesterday afternoon. Thank God, we have a president who understands the economy and the stock market and is dedicated to not throwing our entire economy aside over this virus.

It was like a breath of fresh air amid all the voices clamoring to shut the country down through June 1st.

Easter. We can wait til Easter.
This makes no sense. That will not be fresh air you will be breathing if you listen to that abject failure. Our system is broken and not because of a virus.

Old 03-24-2020, 02:00 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,116,887 times
This doesn’t surprise me. What made liberals think defending China and attacking the USA was a good idea??

Old 03-24-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
You do realize that anyone with a job, 401K or other investment, consumer, manufacturer, and small business will be affected by this virus?
Do you realize that if Trump's gamble is wrong (as is projected by nearly ever expert, every model, every bit of data we have on Italy, Spain, etc...), that if people die in the numbers projected, if our hospitals fail, etc., that your 401k and other investments will take a bigger, longer-term hit, than if we had just taken the short-term economic hit to mitigate the virus in the first place.

Economic models show that a short, predicted downturn will have a faster recovery. If he's wrong, and the result is that this carries out a lot longer and/or the death toll is a lot worse, then your (and my) precious 401k will suffer more.

I am about 10 years from retirement. A month or so ago, I was on track. Now I am way behind. My money is on the American people, that if Trump does not F-this up like he's trying to do, that we'll recover, and in 10-years time I'll be back on track, and then some. (For the people that were retiring this year or next, they may have to work a few more years. Either solutions is not going to change that.)

Old 03-24-2020, 02:01 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,568,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I've never liked Trump and I still think he's an obnoxious braggart.

But I was ready to stand up and cheer at the press conference yesterday afternoon. Thank God, we have a president who understands the economy and the stock market and is dedicated to not throwing our entire economy aside over this virus.

It was like a breath of fresh air amid all the voices clamoring to shut the country down through June 1st.

Easter. We can wait til Easter.
So go back work NOW get sick and give the virus to all your loved ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
This doesn’t surprise me. What made liberals think defending China and attacking the USA was a good idea??
Defening China for what?
Who attacked the USA?

19,573 posts, read 8,543,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Is that what you would say to comfort your own mother on her death-bed? If the answer is no (and God knows, I hope your answer is no), then you really should not project it onto strangers.

Just remember, these people who's life you seem to not care that much about are SOMEBODY's mother, father, child, sibling or world.

Just remember, they are all people, with families and loved ones. That is all.
No. My mother is dead and I said no such thing to her on her death bed. But I am saying it to the hand-wringing leftist mob representatives here in this forum.

My mother knew this and did not need to be told. But apparently many of you need to be reminded. All of this is passing away. Each and every one of us. This world. This galaxy. This universe. It is all temporary.

Old 03-24-2020, 02:03 PM

7,519 posts, read 2,818,337 times
Quote:
Do you realize that if Trump's gamble is wrong (as is projected by nearly ever expert, every model, every bit of data we have on Italy, Spain, etc...), that if people die in the numbers projected, if our hospitals fail, etc., that your 401k and other investments will take a bigger, longer-term hit, than if we had just taken the short-term economic hit to mitigate the virus in the first place.

Economic models show that a short, predicted downturn will have a faster recovery. If he's wrong, and the result is that this carries out a lot longer and/or the death toll is a lot worse, then your (and my) precious 401k will suffer more.

I am about 10 years from retirement. A month or so ago, I was on track. Now I am way behind. My money is on the American people, that if Trump does not F-this up like he's trying to do, that we'll recover, and in 10-years time I'll be back on track, and then some. (For the people that were retiring this year or next, they may have to work a few more years. Either solutions is not going to change that.)
My post was to address extreme hyperbole of millions dying or Trump protecting banker buddies.

Old 03-24-2020, 02:06 PM

27,625 posts, read 21,163,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
No. My mother is dead and I said no such thing to her on her death bed. But I am saying it to the hand-wringing leftist mob representatives here in this forum.

My mother knew this and did not need to be told. But apparently many of you need to be reminded. All of this is passing away. Each and every one of us. This world. This galaxy. This universe. It is all temporary.
Go ahead then. Sayonara. I choose not die or kill off relatives for the STOCK MARKET!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF3fb5i9D6U

Old 03-24-2020, 02:07 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,543,705 times
Quote:

A couple of things about this post.

First, these cycles occur on the average about every 6-8 years or so. It has been at least 10 since the last big nose dive. We have been overdue. What is more, this is not likely to be the last one of these. So, if you have 10 more years to work, you are likely to see another one of these episodes -- before you retire! And then depending on how long you live, probably several more such episodes after that.

Second, since this is a regularly recurring feature of the world's financial system and has been since we have had a world financial system that could be identified as such, the way that you are going to recoup those losses is how? I know you know the answer, but I will say it anyway. By you and the rest of our country and our world getting back to work and rebuilding, yet again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies