Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2020, 06:56 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,286,513 times

Advertisements

The statistics about SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) are out there. The number of cases, number of deaths, number of recoveries etc etc are easily attainable subject to testing levels. As a CPA I have a tendency to over analyze things. There is a current crisis that we all joke about, and a very uncertain future that is dead serious.

Let's get the joke out of the way. Toilet paper. WTF. Where does toilet paper fit in the scheme of things? What is the psychology behind the toilet paper epidemic? Blizzards have their bread & milk, hurricanes have water. I get that. WIth a flu like virus, toilet paper? I thought items like tissues, cough medicine, and other over the counter remedies would be scooped up. I was wrong. Toilet paper? Is diarrhea rampant with this virus?

The business world is an entirely different story. Right now the market is reacting to fear. This virus affects industries differently. I think it's obvious that restaurants, bars, airlines, cruise ships are an example of industries that are getting hammered with no known recovery time, if they even recover. I'm pretty sure small family run businesses are going to take a permanent hit. I can imagine many shuttered doors in a few months. Those who don't have to shut down will be hard pressed to make up what they lost. Will vendors be lenient? Will landlords extend due dates for leases? Airlines will "need" a bailout to survive. Cruise lines, especially Princess, have be stained. Will there be mergers and buyouts where the strong survive? Will this all blow over and in a year after the virus subsides we'll be back to what we perceive to be normal?

The economy will take a hit. The landscape will visibly change. But to what degree I am not sure.

What does your crystal ball say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies