Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 12:18 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,229,211 times

Advertisements

The leaders are not leading.

Quote:

As The Coronavirus Crisis Heats Up, Why Isn't America Hearing From The CDC?

The CDC normally takes the lead in outbreaks, ranging from the 2009 flu pandemic to Ebola to the lung injuries caused by vaping. Its recent absence from the national stage has led to fears that the agency's objective, science-based approach is being ignored, especially as Trump signals that he hopes to relax restrictions on social gatherings by Easter to help revive the economy.

"This has never happened before. In the nearly 75 years that the CDC has existed, in every single infectious disease outbreak the country has dealt with, the CDC has been central. It's been at the decision table, and it's been at the podium," says former CDC director Tom Frieden, who is now president and CEO of the global health initiative Resolve to Save Lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2020, 12:30 AM

16,028 posts, read 6,836,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
The following is my opinion only:

That is because they are working in over drive trying to expedite a solution.
If you are too busy talking you are hardly working...............

Old 03-27-2020, 05:20 AM

339 posts, read 127,443 times
From an NPR Article: "I am concerned that I haven't seen CDC as a participant in the briefings in days, and that CDC does not seem to be speaking otherwise directly to the public, which is really a break with how they have communicated about past epidemics in the United States," says Tom Inglesby, director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security.

They normally take the lead in these situations informing the American pubic. And they do this on their own, and hold their own press briefings. Now they're just silent. I think it's because they were so unprepared with test kits (and have been funded for many administrations now). Maybe laying low to avoid criticisms.

Old 03-27-2020, 05:22 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,800,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
The following is my opinion only:

That is because they are working in over drive trying to expedite a solution.
If you are too busy talking you are hardly working...............
Good points.

What solution exactly is the Trump administration in overdrive trying to expedite at the moment?

The virus disappearing like a miracle didn't pan out, nor did the drive-through testing stations in the Walmart parking lot.

So what else are Team Trump & Kushner working on so diligently?

Old 03-27-2020, 06:25 AM

2,361 posts, read 2,536,355 times
I suspect they’ve been ordered to do so by the president...too much “bad news.”

Old 03-27-2020, 07:05 AM

30,059 posts, read 18,656,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post

The CDC is sending our hospital and large medical group updates twice a day. We are passing that information on to the public.

The CDC is by no means MIA.

Old 03-27-2020, 07:32 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,281,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
The CDC is sending our hospital and large medical group updates twice a day. We are passing that information on to the public.

The CDC is by no means MIA.
I would think that with daily briefings by Trump and local briefings by governors etc, the CDC as you say is focusing on the medical community, the front lines.

Old 03-27-2020, 07:34 AM

35,687 posts, read 21,039,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
I believe they have been told to stand down-- just my own two cents

Old 03-27-2020, 07:35 AM

45,210 posts, read 26,424,445 times
They've helped wreck the greater economy and endangered lives by helping to restrict the supply of medical supplies. They're now taking a much needed rest.

Old 03-27-2020, 07:44 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,451,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Probably.

Trump knows knowledge is power. Best to keep people ignorant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies