Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2020, 09:03 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
But in Italy they had full lock downs, as did Spain. They were literally arresting people for leaving their homes. So how do you explain their far higher mortality rates when they've put in place even stricter measures? One of the obvious reasons is they are not having to ration ventilators because they do not have enough to go around. There's little they can do for people over the age of 60, which is the age they are pulling the air and giving to younger people who would have a much better chance of surviving without it.
They did go on lock down very early. I think of Italy as a bit of 3rd word country when I visited it. Maybe they don’t have the best medical treatment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2020, 09:05 PM

30,638 posts, read 18,227,675 times
That is not the mortality rate of the virus. That is the death rate per number of people tested. Way more people have the virus than are being tested.

Old 03-28-2020, 09:06 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
They did go on lock down very early. I think of Italy as a bit of 3rd word country when I visited it. Maybe they don’t have the best medical treatment.

It's called socialized medicine, and it's what the uninformed want here. If we had socialized medicine like over there, we would be pulling ventilators off people 60 years of age and older just the same. Hopefully it doesn't come to that here, because our system did move a tick closer to socialized medicine over the past decade.

Old 03-28-2020, 09:09 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchtoecig View Post
That unfortunate soccer game on Feb 19 in Milan explains a lot and not just in Italy. Atalanta / Valencia. 40,000 fans from Bergamo, Lombardia, and entire Italy, but also from Spain, and there were others. I'm sure, even without checking, there were ppl from Switzerland, Germany, France, Austria, Iceland, and other countries. If not at the stadium, then in Milan, probably in the same cafes and other places where fans went. Patient zero from Croatia was also in the stadium among them.

They returned home and completely unknowingly and unintentionally passed the virus to other members of their communities and families, many of them old or otherwise infirm.

If you google it, you'll find a lot written about it, it is known. Zero Soccer Game Italy

Now, Italy is a mess of a country, didn't take it seriously enough and thus got overwhelmed. I heard that a couple of thousand of their medical staff has the virus. Fifty doctors have already died. It is horrible. Germany and Iceland obviously have very highly organized and efficient systems in place. So do some east Asian countries. The latter were also closer to China and thus more acutely aware of the problem.

My daughter told me how wonderful time she had back in 2016 when, while on a scholarship in France, she went to see the game Croatia Spain in Bordeaux. Im glad she did, because I think people will stop congregating in such big numbers in the future. Big concerts, big games, goodbye.

#staythe****athome and if you can, donate to hospitals. If there is a way you can help the staff be better equipped with safety gear and apparel, do it.
Once this blows over, they'll be back filling soccer stadiums. I mean come on, it's euro soccer .

Great post though, appreciate the link to the zero soccer game.

Old 03-28-2020, 09:12 PM

14,229 posts, read 4,593,980 times
Italy hosts A LOT of Chinese tourists.

When i was in Italy a few years ago, Chinese tourists were everywhere. Italian government even invited uniformed Chinese cops to Italy for joint patrol with Italian cops on Italy soil.

It was weird.

Old 03-28-2020, 09:13 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,434,090 times
Iceland tested people without regard to whether they were ill or seemingly well.
50% of people who tested positive had NO SYMPTOMS.The test doesn't show those who had it,never knew they had it,and recovered.

It seems likely that a significant number of people will be infected without ever knowing they were sick.

Its easier to test an island country with a population smaller than any US state

Old 03-28-2020, 09:57 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
The hospitalization rate is a bigger problem than the death rate. If we had enough beds and ventilators we could probably handle it. However, the death rate will become much higher because people won't be able to get ventilators that need them.

Old 03-28-2020, 10:51 PM

1,329 posts, read 832,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
It's called socialized medicine, and it's what the uninformed want here. If we had socialized medicine like over there, we would be pulling ventilators off people 60 years of age and older just the same. Hopefully it doesn't come to that here, because our system did move a tick closer to socialized medicine over the past decade.

It's called triage, and they do that in every country in an emergency, including the US.

Old 03-28-2020, 11:05 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,759,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
Iceland tested people without regard to whether they were ill or seemingly well.
50% of people who tested positive had NO SYMPTOMS.The test doesn't show those who had it,never knew they had it,and recovered.

It seems likely that a significant number of people will be infected without ever knowing they were sick.

Its easier to test an island country with a population smaller than any US state
If widescale testing can done in more places, Dr. Faucci's claimed death rate of "at least 1%" will likely be proven wildly inaccurate.

Old 03-29-2020, 04:47 AM

934 posts, read 402,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Once this blows over, they'll be back filling soccer stadiums. I mean come on, it's euro soccer . ...
you mean, it's the real football

Thanks for the nice words. We have been through a lot here, but somehow, this time the feeling is different.
Before it all started, I expected my part of the world to be more defiant i.e. stupid related to stay at home rules. Funny thing, and luckily though, it seems that almost everybody somehow miraculously got cautious.

We let the experts lead the efforts this time. Not the politicians. That's another thing.

Re going back to normal: this looks like an end to an era. And it's not like there won't be anything else, possibly worse, virus-wise.

I think this is over. Gen Z will have to invent a new form of fun for themselves and Gen Alpha. Besides, reality simulators are already here. Who needs to stand in line, and sweat in the mass of potential virus carriers.

#stayathome
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies