Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2020, 01:03 AM

6,137 posts, read 3,866,449 times

Advertisements

Likely a tremendous number of people have it, far more than the tests are saying. It is a very serious virus, it's of course worse then the seasonal flu but it seems like the more a state tests the lower the mortality rates go.

One has to guess if the numbers who have had this are far, far higher than few could imagine. I wonder how many would be positive if they took everyones temperatures and any one with a temperature or cough was tested?

COVID drive-thrus are widespreasd in Utah where people just drive-up if they have symptoms. 602 have COVID-19 and they are at 2 deaths. Utah has had cases for a while also because it is a winter destination.

https://coronavirus.utah.gov/case-counts/

https://intermountainhealthcare.org/...s/get-testing/

Utah has many, many coronavirus screening services through out the state. Unlike other states which many even physicians and nurses with symptoms aren't getting tests, Utah has been testing up a storm

Results from Utah:

11,312 tested at drive-thrus and others

602 COVID cases (which is relatively high per-capita)

2 Covid-19 deaths.

0.3% mortality rate.

Seems like King County, Washington has the highest mortality rate so far out of any American jurisdiction:

2,077 COVID cases

136 deaths

6%+ mortality rate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2020, 01:15 AM

5,654 posts, read 6,222,561 times
Not sure what yiur point is.

Utah is in the middle of the country so hopefully that has spared them the initial front line infection.

You say that "Utah has been testing up a storm" - I think every state would llke to do that but don't have the test kits to do so - why does Utak have such resources?

Old 03-29-2020, 01:22 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,417,747 times
The actions taken is not just about the mortality rate now, it is to prevent it from going higher in the future by preventing the medical system from being overwhelmed. Also, more than virus victims need ICU on any given day, so if there is no ICU space, then people will be dropped dead waiting, even if not infected with the virus but need the ICU due to other issues.

It took a month for the US to get 1000 deaths, and two days to double that, it is exponential growth.

Old 03-29-2020, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperboleisaliveandwell View Post
That seems to be the standard line. Problem is most methodology used for these viruses tend to be deeply flawed. I doubt it's out of the question to actually get the people that are sick out of heavily populated areas like NY and put them in facilities that aren't overbooked. Can't say I'm buying the media's spin that suddenly hospitals all over the country are overflowing with this. Ultimately it's not about the hospital as much as it is qualified personnel. Plenty of nurses have actually had their hours cut through this process. Problem is, they're not exactly qualified to be ER nurses.
The media is not saying hospitals all over the country are overflowing with this, can you cite? I think NYC is the only place right now having issues, mainly supply, not space, the space issue is coming soon but is being remedied right now.

Hospitals generally run 90% capacity, it is not like a for profit or non-profit entity is just going to have a huge amount of excess capacity never being used.

It is not the media saying this stuff, they are relaying, reporting, what experts are saying. If you look at the chart, in two days the US doubled the number of deaths, from 1000 to 2000, it took a month to get to 1000. A week ago the US was getting 5000 new infections a day, now it is at 20,000. The chart is swinging upwards, very rapidly. The media is not making these numbers up, that is the NY governor out there saying this stuff, not the media making it up.

But the infection rate needs to slow down, because many people need ICU to recover, and when ICU space gets filled up, guess what happens? Yes, those people most likely will die. And not only virus people need it, people with other medical issues need it also. They said, last I read, something like 12% of infected people are hospitalized, now we are at 20,000 daily new infections, you think hospitals are going to be able to handle 100k new daily infections?

Old 03-29-2020, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperboleisaliveandwell View Post
Do me a favor sport. Stop lecturing and regurgitating the same standard line that everyone has heard over and over again (maybe even try thinking outside the box).

It's not about the hospitals. There have been plenty of times where we can throw up makeshift temporary hospitals. It's about the personnel.

And no, many people do not need ICU. The majority of people are sent home and told to self quarantine. and the vast majority recover from this (and that has been said over and over). Unfortunately, if you listen to everything the media says or people like you that just keep regurgitating the same crap, we get the Chicken Little's all worked up.
Actually, I will say what I want, sport. At the same time, do me a favor sport, and quit repeating the same line that this is no big deal.

Media? I listen to the direct words from governors, and Trump and his staff. It is public record for you to listen also.

ICU space, you know, those area where the ventilators are that they are scrambling to get. Cuomo himself said they are short 37 thousand ICU spaces, that is not the media, that is him saying this.

Sport.

Old 03-29-2020, 02:37 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,739,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
Not sure what yiur point is.

Utah is in the middle of the country so hopefully that has spared them the initial front line infection.

You say that "Utah has been testing up a storm" - I think every state would llke to do that but don't have the test kits to do so - why does Utak have such resources?
I don't know what their point was either. That said, Salt Lake City is a fairly major urban area with an international airport. That makes it just as vulnerable to COVID-19 being introduced as here in Chicagoland. How well it spreads after that is another matter of course.

I am interested in the drive thru testing. Everytime I hear about one that's up and running, it seems like it's delayed or doesn't have enough test kits. Here's one in Omaha: https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/...a-15163739.php

Old 03-29-2020, 02:39 AM

29,827 posts, read 24,922,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Actually, I will say what I want, sport. At the same time, do me a favor sport, and quit repeating the same line that this is no big deal.

Media? I listen to the direct words from governors, and Trump and his staff. It is public record for you to listen also.

ICU space, you know, those area where the ventilators are that they are scrambling to get. Cuomo himself said they are short 37 thousand ICU spaces, that is not the media, that is him saying this.

Sport.

If Cuomo needs them that bad, than I guess he needs to ask the less effected parts of the country to fire up their economies and start cranking these things out. And he's probably going to have to pay top dollar for them.

I heard he had the chance to buy tons of these in 2015, but he chose to waste money on green energy scams instead.

Old 03-29-2020, 07:48 AM

4,025 posts, read 1,879,736 times
Sheesh, we're this deep into this and STILL with the "deniers."

Look, there are only a certain number of ICU beds in the country. Go look it up. Use several sources.

Now, there is only a small chance of any particular person getting sick enough to need the ICU.

Unfortunately, that "small chance" - even in the most conservative of trajectories for this virus - will still result in enough unfortunate people who need ICU to exceed the number of ICUs. This is not conjecture, hyperbole, hysteria, paranoia, panic, right, left, Dem, Rep, Lib, Cons - it's simple math and the path of a virus. Unless something changes, it will follow the math as sure as the sun comes up in the East. It's not subject to your opinions or debate or "what you feel."

It's happening. It ain't stopping. And it doesn't have to be THAT bad to use up all the beds. But it will.

I know my post here is far from the OPs - not sure why this thread got hijacked - but, OP, the number of cases in your area will increase, that is certain. But your overall population size kind of makes it self-limiting.

Did ya look it up yet? 50K, normal times, 100K, in a crisis. Using the princess cruise ship as a crude proxy, we can estimate 25% of the country will get it, and 1% of that 25% will die. Presumably, just before death, you'll be in the ICU = 875000. And that doesn't count the "lucky" people who need ICU - but still live.

Now - do I "think" 875K will die? Unlikely. But do I think we'll need 100K ICU beds? Hardly avoidable. It's math. Not hype. Please, people, at this point I really wonder if the instigators in these threads are just intentionally wasting everyone's time. Please don't engage with them. I'll continue to post reasonable and factual info wherever I see this type of nonsense. This is serious times. Your opportunity for "conspiracy" type garbage is far behind us.

Old 03-29-2020, 07:55 AM

18,460 posts, read 8,287,342 times
..but Trump was wrong

one week ago......Mar 23, 2020

Utah.....State setting up access to malaria drugs seen as treating new coronavirus

SALT LAKE CITY — Utahns who pass an online screening would be able to get malaria drugs at a pharmacy to treat the new coronavirus under a standing order currently being drafted, Utah Department of Health Deputy Director Dr. Marc E. Babitz said Monday.

“I’ve seen enough evidence of benefits to make it worth trying,” Babitz, a family physician, told the Deseret News, adding he doesn’t agree with critics who say there hasn’t been enough study yet on the use of hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine in treating the symptoms of COVID-19.

“In a situation like this that we’re in today, I disagree with my academic colleagues. If we weren’t in a crisis, if this wasn’t a major concern, a worldwide pandemic, I’d say, ‘You know what, let’s wait. Let’s wait. Let’s find some people who have this. Let’s do that double-blind, placebo controlled, they call it crossover trial,’” he said.

https://www.deseret.com/utah/2020/3/...treatment-utah

Old 03-29-2020, 08:33 AM

15,850 posts, read 6,551,421 times
What that report doesn't tell us is how many were hospitalized. Yes, if you have enough ventilators, PPE, and medical staff, most patients will survive. When you don't, the death rate will increase significantly. An analogy might be a gunshot wound; if you can get to a hospital in time you've got a certain chance to survive. If you don't, you could well bleed out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies