Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 11:20 AM

112 posts, read 51,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacommonwealth View Post
It's probably because of the hysteria, but all I can think of when I see photos like this are 'so now who is going to complain about the military industrial complex?' This magnificent vessel will save lives and support countless people through this crisis.
If I'm not mistaken, they have a fully functional hospital, they can de-salinate water, the kitchens can bake 3000 loaves of bread per day, and on it goes of what this ship and her crew can do. God Bless America and please keep her safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Let's return to the photo that started this thread. Is it too naive or cloyingly sentimental to say, that finally, finally we have an uplifting and noncontroversial image of making demonstrable progress during this tragic time?

There's a poem associated with the statue of liberty, to the effect of providing succor and solace to the afflicted. And then, in the background of the photo, is the full might and majesty of the US military, coming to offer precisely such assistance. I would be the last person to get swept in the pageantry of America's civic rituals, the songs and the salutes... and yet, there's something about that photo that just makes the eyes water, and the mouth contort into a smile of hope... that maybe, just maybe, we're still going to be OK.
Like my Daddy before me.....I felt like crying when I first saw it. You're right. It is a hopeful picture, and with Miss Liberty, a representation of much that is good in America.

Old 03-31-2020, 11:26 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley2 View Post
It's probably because of the hysteria, but all I can think of when I see photos like this are 'so now who is going to complain about the military industrial complex?' This magnificent vessel will save lives and support countless people through this crisis.
If I'm not mistaken, they have a fully functional hospital, they can de-salinate water, the kitchens can bake 3000 loaves of bread per day, and on it goes of what this ship and her crew can do. God Bless America and please keep her safe.
I'm not sure even people who oppose the extravagant spending of the MIC think the military shouldn't have hospital ships.

Old 03-31-2020, 11:28 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
The Navy is an extraordinary organization.

But of course my beloved United States Army is the greatest of them all!

Old 03-31-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I'm not sure even people who oppose the extravagant spending of the MIC think the military shouldn't have hospital ships.
Oh, I've heard people say it's ridiculous, trust me. But I live in VT and most people, if it comes up, express their distaste for anything military, including these ships. My impression is they think the money would be better spent elsewhere.

Old 03-31-2020, 11:37 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I can see this as the cover of Trump’s next book: What winning looks like!

Winning would look like that ship parked in the harbor of another country, a "loser country", that dissolved its pandemic response committee and had inadequate hospitals, PPE stock, and waited a month to act instead of its leader getting up on stage and saying that the corona virus is no big deal and just a Chinese and European problem.

If Trump were winning, we wouldn't have this picture because we would have had a plan to deal with this pandemic, and acted on that plan 4 weeks earlier.

Old 03-31-2020, 12:44 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,717,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Winning would look like that ship parked in the harbor of another country, a "loser country", that dissolved its pandemic response committee and had inadequate hospitals, PPE stock, and waited a month to act instead of its leader getting up on stage and saying that the corona virus is no big deal and just a Chinese and European problem.

If Trump were winning, we wouldn't have this picture because we would have had a plan to deal with this pandemic, and acted on that plan 4 weeks earlier.
While in an abstract sense you may be right, in a practical sense, there are no "loser" or "winner" countries. This is a global pandemic. If it erupts anywhere, it erupts everywhere. Without a suitable response, we are all losers.

Old 03-31-2020, 12:57 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,071,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I can see this as the cover of Trump’s next book: What winning looks like!
And the Communist Party of China can go F themselves.

Old 03-31-2020, 01:55 PM

3,418 posts, read 7,790,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
That's not acceptable. An organization that is belching out information to millions of people has a responsibility to get their facts straight beforehand, not after.

I agree.

Same applies to the President of the United States.

Old 03-31-2020, 01:59 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Very sad indeed.

If only better planning, well in advanced had taken place.

More importantly, if we still had a Federal Pandemic Office.
Don't need one.

We don't need a specific office, committee, department, etc. for every possible everything.

We have the CDC for a reason. We have FEMA for a reason. We don't need a pandemic office. We don't need MORE GOVERNMENT BLOAT. We need a sleeker, more agile government. That's what you want - efficiency - but you're demanding more red tape. Why is it so difficult for so many to connect those dots?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies