Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2020, 06:53 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
You can read my more detailed posts about this topic in the investment forum, and how I think the coronavirus is being used as a smokescreen to ram through record-setting central bank intervention across the globe, but let's look at some numbers for a second.

The coronavirus WORLDWIDE has killed about 37,000 people so far. In 2017-2018, according to the CDC, the flu, just in the United States killed over 80,000 people. The CDC also said that in 2017 the flu WORLDWIDE killed up to 650,000 people.

So where was all of the hysteria then that we are seeing now with far fewer numbers? No talk of shut downs then, no talk of lock downs, no talk of record central bank balance sheet expansion. NOTHING! Interesting to say the least.

What I think is that we were having MAJOR liquidity issues surfacing back in the summer of 2019. The Fed decided to do consecutive rate cuts at that time which made no sense whatsoever if we were truly in the "greatest economy ever." Then in September 2019, we get the repo crisis. The Fed said they would prop the repo market up for one week to help dissolve the liquidity issues that had surfaced between the banks with $50+ billion in daily repo operations. That was only supposed to last one week but then it got extended through October and turned into $100+ billion in DAILY repo operations. After October, these repo operations were extended "indefinitely."

So my point is there were major liquidity issues brewing well before any of the virus talks started. A crisis was needed (real or manufactured) as an excuse for central banks around the world to go "all in." That doesn't happen without a "crisis." The virus hysteria gave central banks the excuse to go all in.

Turn off the media for a second and think about all of it has a collective whole.
This is really being very irresponsible. This is not a "minor event". I have never seen a pathogen in my career that can take someone from being "healthy" to being on a vent in 24 hrs.

This is not a "manufactured crisis" and is a serious health threat to individuals and the nation which should be taken very seriously.

EVERYONE needs to do their part in reducing the transmission of the virus; such notions as "manufactured crises" and "hoaxes" do nothing but help prolong the crisis through negligence and lack of proper action.

Unless you are a physician directly involved in treating the disease and receiving daily information from the CDC and the state medical society, perhaps you should refrain from spreading misinformation which may jeopardize someone's life. I know you are very concerned about the bull market continuing. Get over it- bull markets do not last forever and this is part of investing. There will be periodic bear markets; trees do not grow to the sky. The health of the nation is a far more pressing concern than your portfolio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2020, 07:02 AM

45,227 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
This is really being very irresponsible. This is not a "minor event". I have never seen a pathogen in my career that can take someone from being "healthy" to being on a vent in 24 hrs.

This is not a "manufactured crisis" and is a serious health threat to individuals and the nation which should be taken very seriously.

EVERYONE needs to do their part in reducing the transmission of the virus; such notions as "manufactured crises" and "hoaxes" do nothing but help prolong the crisis through negligence and lack of proper action.

Unless you are a physician directly involved in treating the disease and receiving daily information from the CDC and the state medical society, perhaps you should refrain from spreading misinformation which may jeopardize someone's life. I know you are very concerned about the bull market continuing. Get over it- bull markets do not last forever and this is part of investing. There will be periodic bear markets; trees do not grow to the sky. The health of the nation is a far more pressing concern than your portfolio.
Yes its serious, unfortunately your profession, your CDC, your FDA, your state medical society et al. have been dishonest too many times and the skepticism is warranted. You've done it yourselves.

And yes portfolios and personal finances are important and value judgements need to made on an individual basis.

Old 03-31-2020, 07:06 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Yes its serious, unfortunately your profession, your CDC, your FDA, your state medical society et al. have been dishonest too many times and the skepticism is warranted. You've done it yourselves.

And yes portfolios and personal finances are important and value judgements need to made on an individual basis.
You paranoia and your rabid anti-government ideology have led you down dangerous and idiotic paths before, and this one is no different.

Old 03-31-2020, 07:11 AM

45,227 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
You paranoia and your rabid anti-government ideology have led you down dangerous and idiotic paths before, and this one is no different.
*shrug*

Old 03-31-2020, 07:12 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Its unusual that 3000 is 1000 times bigger problem than 64 000.

But it is what it is, the politicians pulled the emergency break, and now they have to act as if that was the only thing they could do.
I guess you still never did comprehend; by the time it gets to 64k uncontrolled, it would have been too late to do anything. Is it that hard to figure out? You still do not comprehend anything you have read about this virus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Comparing this virus to the flu is not "absolutely insane". It's a valid comparison. Certain people don't like it because when you put it into perspective like that, it's not as scary as they'd like this virus to be for everyone.

Why this overhyping and overreacting, I'm not going to suggest any specific reason, but there is definitely a reason, and it's NOT because "the government cares about you". People who believe that are gullible.
I asked you before, but exactly what are your medical qualifications? because it seems you know more than all the doctors and medical experts throughout the world. If you have such knowledge and experience in infectious diseases, why are you not advising the government or assisting at a hospital?

Old 03-31-2020, 07:14 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,652,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
I guess you still never did comprehend; by the time it gets to 64k uncontrolled, it would have been too late to do anything. Is it that hard to figure out? You still do not comprehend anything you have read about this virus?

I asked you before, but exactly what are your medical qualifications? because it seems you know more than all the doctors and medical experts throughout the world. If you have such knowledge and experience in infectious diseases, why are you not advising the government or assisting at a hospital?
Understanding the domino effect is beyond Republican math skills.

Old 03-31-2020, 07:14 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
My first reaction to conspiracy theory nut balls/ a**H**Es is sarcasm.
Maybe you could try to curb your sarcasm reactions when someone posts a serious and sobering description of real world horrors. Work on it. I know you can do it.

You were responding directly to the doc. The thread title and OP can be responded to with derision, but you put it against the doc's very serious post. Please be more careful in future.

Old 03-31-2020, 07:18 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post

The irony of those agencies creating the very problems this pandemic is now exposing is not lost on those of us who know the history.

Old 03-31-2020, 07:21 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,709,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
That is my biggest fear. Having to tell people we cant help them, try driving 100 miles away from here, or go home to die. I’m in a large medical center, and we are almost at that point, which was unimaginable just weeks ago.

I hope when this is all over, people tell us we overreacted. That means that we must have done a good job. The coronavirus mortality rate in Italy is now about 10%. We are at about 2%, but it is still very early here. The mortality rate for the flu is .1%
I take this thing very seriously. I and my family are following the protocols. However, I am frustrated by the lack of testing in the general population. I want someone to start doing random testing of the population to come up with an estimate of how many people are carrying the virus. That is the ONLY way to know the morbidity. We seem to be content, as a nation, to only test people who are sick. Its almost as if THEY DO NOT WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW IF OR HOW WIDE SPREAD IT IS!!!! Why? It does play into the fear mongering to have the virus morbidity determined ONLY from people sick enough to seek out doctors care or testing. That is going to create a much higher death rate, I think, than what probably is the case.

We also have to keep in mind the placebo and nocebo effect. If you plant in peoples mind that there is some DEADLY virus sweeping the globe (and there is), what does that do to many people psychologically? Can't that create psychosomatic reactions and self fulfilling prophecy? Now you rush off to the hospital out of fear you have this deadly virus (and you may have), when in the past you would have just tried to ride it out at home or just go to urgent care to get some meds. The phenomenon, to a degree, is subject to self fulfilling prophecy.

I am treating this thing like it is 100% real and 100% as bad as they say, but I also seriously entertain the idea that it quite possibly could be overblown, some sort of global conspiracy just "nature" doing what it does. I want MORE DATA....and that only comes from testing and there seems to be a big reluctance to get the general population tested. That effort might not help save lives directly....but think how much things would be different if we knew that 10% of the population has or has had the virus already?

Old 03-31-2020, 07:25 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Maybe you could try to curb your sarcasm reactions when someone posts a serious and sobering description of real world horrors. Work on it. I know you can do it.

You were responding directly to the doc. The thread title and OP can be responded to with derision, but you put it against the doc's very serious post. Please be more careful in future.
The doc knows who I am from this forum and I'm sure realized it was sarcasm in approximately .25 seconds.

The fact that anyone would actually think this was serious post shows how low our expectations are of some people on this forum.

I'm right there with you. Sandy Hook conspiracy posting scumbags still post here regularly. Can't call people names, but you can post that stuff with no consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies