Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 05:26 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,114,378 times

Advertisements

https://www.newsweek.com/brazilian-p...ie-one-1495020

Quote:
razilian President Jair Bolsonaro has repeatedly dismissed the coronavirus as a "little cold" and urged residents to keep the country's economy going, even going so far as to tell his supporters why he's against lockdown: "We're all going to die one day."

Bolsonaro, who is often compared to President Donald Trump, upped the ante Sunday on his downplaying of the pandemic, capping weeks of spats with state governors demanding nationwide quarantine orders. The Brazilian Health Ministry reported 3,904 confirmed cases of coronavirus and 114 deaths related to its disease, COVID-19. The Brazilian president was widely criticized for holding a handshaking meet and greet with his supporters on March 15 and recently referred to self-quarantine orders in other countries as "mass confinement."

"The virus is here, we're going to have to confront it. Confront it like a man, not a boy!" Bolsonaro told supporters outside his residence Sunday, according to the Associated Press. "We're all going to die one day."

In a national television address last week, Bolsonaro also accused the country's news media of over-hyping the spread of the virus. "Most of the media has been countervailing," he said. "They spread the sensation of dread, with their flagship the high number of victims in Italy. The perfect scenario to be used by the media to spread hysteria."

Bolsonaro has echoed the Trump's recent calls for people to return to work in order to boost the economy, with the Brazilian president asking last week why schools should be closed if only people over the age of 60 are at risk of infection from the virus. In that same address, he referred to the virus as "a little cold."
Yeesh...

Old 03-31-2020, 05:37 PM

2,400 posts, read 754,790 times
I got news for you OP, there’s a lot of people working so you can stay cozy safe in lockdown. It can’t go on forever unless you want famine and war to become part of the equation.

Old 03-31-2020, 05:40 PM

4,508 posts, read 1,863,256 times
.... Bolsonaro, who is often compared to President Donald Trump....

**** the fake news leftist trash media.

Old 03-31-2020, 05:40 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Its going to be interesting seeing what the different infection models will apply. Its rare that you can get such data as most people understand the risks of this and try to mitigate it. It will allow better models on how pandemics like should should be handled. We could very well learn that we should have gone to a more strict stay at home order. Or maybe less of one. Either way. But you also cant but help remember we're talking about a experiment on real live humans. That will die as a result.

I wonder if he realizes that the dead will all have relatives who will look for someone to hold accountable.

Old 03-31-2020, 05:43 PM

1,768 posts, read 715,822 times
I think them doing this will provide very useful real data (not estimated) for how effect a lot of these mitigation strategies are.

Old 03-31-2020, 05:45 PM

6,137 posts, read 3,863,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
It certainly is not a "little cold" but Brazil has just over 5,700 cases and 200 deaths compared to the fiasco in other countries.

I am beginning to think though that the United States perhaps might need to choose what it needs to do.

It's appearent that what this country is doing isn't working. If this lasts there is going to be an economic depression and the cases will still be skyrocketing because the "shelter in place" still has way to many people going out and crowding.

The "shelter in place" in many states seems like it might last longer and longer. They should considered rushing Americans enough to take of themselves for 21 days and just shut down the country and did all they could with testing and getting people out of circulation if they are carriers or on the hand they could have done what Brazil and Sweden are doing and just let be and try to preserve the economy even at the risk of the health care system collapsing.

Old 03-31-2020, 07:06 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoMan View Post
I got news for you OP, there’s a lot of people working so you can stay cozy safe in lockdown. It can’t go on forever unless you want famine and war to become part of the equation.

Old 03-31-2020, 07:13 PM

1,768 posts, read 715,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post

There are some fair comparison. Also stark differences.
Bolsonaro is deforesting Brazil. Trump is supporting plant 1 trillion tree initiative.
I started liking Kyrsten Sinema after she was one of the only Dems to stand to clap for this initiative.
She would get my vote after that - she isn't blinded by partisanship. I think Arizonia is very well represented by their two Senators Sinema (D) and Mcsally (R).

Old 03-31-2020, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post

Honestly, Trump’s just an idiot.
But Bolsonaro is a grade A PoS...

Old 03-31-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
So for you it goes:
“To save our economy, I throw our elderly and sick fellow Americans into the meat grinder, but those damn illegals amirite? ( <obligatory mad face)”

I figured since your so American you’d look to protect ALL AMERICAN LIVES.

So what is it? Sacrifice lives for the economy? Or sacrifice the economy a but to save lives?

Either way we’re all gonna hurt. Depends if you want the pain to be economical stress or national grief...

And either way, we’re gonna get hit hard economically. Only difference is if people still get to see their loved ones after all this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.