Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2020, 07:10 PM

10,103 posts, read 6,450,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
The primary mission of Samaritan's Purse is to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and we seek volunteers who have the same mindset. We ask that volunteers review our Statement of Faith and agree to support the ministry guidelines of Samaritan's Purse.-

I didn't see anything about one can not be Jewish, Muslim, or agnostic to volunteer. It asks volunteers to support their guidelines not abide by them, as not to actively go against what they stand for.

To me its the same as doing business in the Mennonite community. You are expected to respect their doctrinal beliefs but you don't have to follow their religion.
It would be nigh impossible to be a Jew and "share" the Gospel of Jesus Christ and agree with their Statement of Faith, as stated in their volunteer guidelines. I don't know enough about Muslim beliefs and agnostics could decide as they pleased. The group does hand out evangelistic Bibles (the Billy Graham Training Center Bible) to homeowners at each disaster site, so they are pretty active in their evangelizing while they are providing medical care. Again, this is their RIGHT as a private religious group. But I would be very surprised if non-Christians are encouraged to volunteer. And that is entirely the group's prerogative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2020, 07:10 AM

36,577 posts, read 30,907,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
It would be nigh impossible to be a Jew and "share" the Gospel of Jesus Christ and agree with their Statement of Faith, as stated in their volunteer guidelines. I don't know enough about Muslim beliefs and agnostics could decide as they pleased. The group does hand out evangelistic Bibles (the Billy Graham Training Center Bible) to homeowners at each disaster site, so they are pretty active in their evangelizing while they are providing medical care. Again, this is their RIGHT as a private religious group. But I would be very surprised if non-Christians are encouraged to volunteer. And that is entirely the group's prerogative.
Again I dont believe one needs to share the Gospel of Jesus, just support Samaritans Purse doing it as in not going against them. In this, I'm going to assume helping people is their main focus.

There is a difference in encouraging certain folks to volunteer and banning or discriminating against certain folks efforts to volunteer.

This is no different than any other group whose objective is the interest of that group, does BLM or NAACP actively recruit white people, does the NRA actively recruit anti gun liberals, does La Raza seek out conservative volunteers, does LGBTQ groups recruit alt-right evangelicals etc. Why would any group prefer volunteers, workers or members who go against their doctrine. Would any of these groups refuse the help of opposing forces during a crisis, probably not.

Old 04-03-2020, 07:31 AM

10,103 posts, read 6,450,375 times
2mares, I think we've discussed this as far as needs be and should just agree to disagree.

Old 04-03-2020, 07:50 AM

11,226 posts, read 8,313,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
People can moan and cry all they want, but religious organizations are allowed hiring preferences based on religion. These religious organizations are exempted from Title VII.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/group-bui...145239813.html
Quote:
But as it seeks medical personnel for its facilities, Samaritan's Purse, a Christian 501(c)(3) organization, has specified its desire for Christian staff members.
So, really, they are saying that they can't staff their own tents? They are not adhering to Christian values.

What a bunch of idiots.

Any good church, synagogue, mosque or temple would build a cure for all, include all in the response, and focus on helping people, rather than politicizing their religion so they can bilk the ignorant of more dollars...

Franklin Graham is a sick f***. His dad is likely turning in his grave.

Old 04-03-2020, 07:52 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,452,639 times
So what? Do people think they are going to go there and get an abortion? Sheesh, people are dumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies