Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2020, 01:39 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,375,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galvatron99 View Post
So true

Well its either you are not educated enough about your background or you are complaining just to complain...pick one.
No, swilliamsny is complaining because he or she has a valid basis for a complaint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Im sorry..do they "own" the country? I don't think so.
Then there is something very wrong with you.

Citizens DO own the country. And it's hard to fathom anyone not being able to grasp that fact.

Old 04-03-2020, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yeah, just ask Native Americans.
Thanks for making my point so well.

Old 04-03-2020, 01:53 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
So true
What country is totally homogeneous? Are you saying no other countries have sub cultures, multiple religions, different dialects, languages spoken, different music, styles, ect.

You realize that even before this country was settled by Europeans the Native tribes had differing languages, dress, traditions, dress etc.

Quote:

Well its either you are not educated enough about your background or you are complaining just to complain...pick one. If you have this much of an issue with the assignment..then home school your child.
Its not a matter of education. Not everyone can trace their ancestors back to when they got off the boat. For various reasons on may not have a very large family tree.

So if anyone has issue with a teachers assignments or behavior they should just home school? The teachers who assign partisan projects (250 words on why Obama was a bad president), plays on slavery, have students picking cotton, have Christmas parties and display nativity scenes. What about students who dont have a grasp of English, should they just be home schooled if a parent has an issue with their foreign speaking child being excluded due to language barriers? Or is that different?

Old 04-03-2020, 02:09 PM

50,797 posts, read 36,501,346 times
[quote=2mares;57748012]The US is a very large country and Asia consists of many countries. So Asia is not homogeneous either. Having culture does not mean every person or region of that country share every tradition.
Nebraska- New Jersey :share language, religions, holidays, food, clothing, sports. Is everything exactly the same no. Is it in other countries, no.[/QU

But I can still think of things that to me or Asian culture, or at least Chinese culture .Japanese culture etc. Outside of things like football, I really can’t think of anything that to me would stand for a “American” culture outside of regional things. I’m genuinely curious what some people would consider to be American culture.

I just went to do a curbside pick up at the tractor supply store. It’s in a very rural farm town with a very old but thriving downtown area in the middle of it. It’s a mix of old and new, coffee shops with music American and ethnic cafés, and 80-year-old jewelry stores. On one corner a religious group (it might have been Catholic not sure) made up of people who were foreign but I’m not sure their nationality, were raising a cross and another was swinging some kind of kettle with white smoke coming out, the women held roses, and they were basically blessing everyone who went by. People were honking their horns in gesture of solidarity. It made me think about how much I like the diversity of this country. It made me proud that we are a melting pot. At least NJ is. I think it’s cool and I really don’t understand why people feel so threatened by it.

Old 04-03-2020, 02:21 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
The US is a very large country and Asia consists of many countries. So Asia is not homogeneous either. Having culture does not mean every person or region of that country share every tradition.
Nebraska- New Jersey :share language, religions, holidays, food, clothing, sports. Is everything exactly the same no. Is it in other countries, no.[/QU

But I can still think of things that to me or Asian culture, or at least Chinese culture .Japanese culture etc. Outside of things like football, I really can’t think of anything that to me would stand for a “American” culture outside of regional things. I’m genuinely curious what some people would consider to be American culture.

I just went to do a curbside pick up at the tractor supply store. It’s in a very rural farm town with a very old but thriving downtown area in the middle of it. It’s a mix of old and new, coffee shops with music American and ethnic cafés, and 80-year-old jewelry stores. On one corner a religious group (it might have been Catholic not sure) made up of people who were foreign but I’m not sure their nationality, were raising a cross and another was swinging some kind of kettle with white smoke coming out, the women held roses, and they were basically blessing everyone who went by. People were honking their horns in gesture of solidarity. It made me think about how much I like the diversity of this country. It made me proud that we are a melting pot. At least NJ is. I think it’s cool and I really don’t understand why people feel so threatened by it.
What do you think of when you think of Chinese culture?
What do you think culture is?
I like that this country is diverse also and that we have such a mix of sub cultures even though I dont live in an area near as diverse as NJ. I would actually say that diversity is part of American culture.

Old 04-03-2020, 02:27 PM

50,797 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I like that this country is diverse also and that we have such a mix of sub cultures even though I dont live in an area near as diverse as NJ. I would actually say that diversity is part of American culture.
I would too! I don’t know really, probably stereotypical things mostly, fireworks and dragons and practices like Qi Gong. I don’t know really how I would define culture. But I most certainly can’t think of anything that I would consider American culture although I can think of things that I would consider to be regional American culture. Like Texas and high school football. To me high school football is part of the culture of Texas. As is being able to recite the story of the Alamo to anyone who will listen, LOL. Said because I dated someone from Texas and spent six months in Houston and it seemed like knowledge of the history was very fundamental to them. But that is not really true about New Jersey, or many other states.
I can’t think of many things that encompass the entire country to be defined as American culture.

Old 04-03-2020, 02:28 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,728,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Agreed.

Old 04-03-2020, 02:47 PM

5,070 posts, read 2,279,232 times
Quote:
I would too! I don’t know really, probably stereotypical things mostly, fireworks and dragons and practices like Qi Gong. I don’t know really how I would define culture. But I most certainly can’t think of anything that I would consider American culture although I can think of things that I would consider to be regional American culture. Like Texas and high school football. To me high school football is part of the culture of Texas. As is being able to recite the story of the Alamo to anyone who will listen, LOL. Said because I dated someone from Texas and spent six months in Houston and it seemed like knowledge of the history was very fundamental to them. But that is not really true about New Jersey, or many other states.
I can’t think of many things that encompass the entire country to be defined as American culture.
I agree with most of this, and that's part of why I have issues with teachers creating assignments that minimize or devalue those kids who are, first and foremost, American. In Kindergarten, one of my kids was given the 'bring in food or an item from your culture' assignment, so we had two options. Bring in hot dogs, or try to come up with something from England - even though we don't think of ourselves as British.

At the time, we were living in NYC. The majority of the kids in my son's class were recent immigrants, or on work visas. They were from Russia, Spain, Iran, Iceland, Israel, Colombia, and Poland. Those that weren't recently here from other countries were second- or third-generation Asian, Indian and Hispanic. The kids were doing their presentations all week. Thanks to our last name starting with W, he was seeing all the other kids who were going first come in with food and items from other countries - in his words "cool things". After the first two days, he was in tears because all we had was hot dogs.

These kinds of assignments are stupid, and more insensitive than a lot of people apparently realize.

Old 04-03-2020, 02:49 PM

1,378 posts, read 737,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
No, swilliamsny is complaining because he or she has a valid basis for a complaint.
No she doesn't lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Then there is something very wrong with you.

Citizens DO own the country. And it's hard to fathom anyone not being able to grasp that fact.
No they don't. If they own the country, then why do they have to pay for land? Also, countries are above the law and play by a set a rules that do not define the concept of ownership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies