Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 11:31 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma21 View Post
This is what my friend texted. Do you agree or is that a bit much. I know that some news is saying we will come back strong but I don’t know.

“We are headed for a depression, it’s inevitable now
All that needs to happen now is for the stock market to crash one more time and trading to be suspended. When that happens, assets will become frozen, credit will be suspended and inflation will hit rapid pace. The dollar value will plummet and basic items will be unaffordable
Think of Venezuelans eating out of dumpsters or eating their pets to stay alive
That’s the place we’re at right now with this lockdown. America cannot sustain this for another month
If we hit the rapid inflation that I predict, we will not be able to afford groceries soon“
Things always appear darker in the moment. In retrospect, even what were considered disasters at the time don't seem so bad.

There is no way in hell that the US is going to descend into darkness. These notions are fueled by science fiction and the entertainment industry.

Of course things may be rocky for a year or two. During that time, we are not going to have chaos in the streets and "Mad Max" like apocalyptic mayhem. Remain calm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2020, 11:35 AM

4,218 posts, read 2,458,246 times
I've been saying for a while that we were overdue for a reckoning. The day that we would have to pay the full price plus interest for our unrivalved hubris, complacency, and foolishness. Nothing got solved after the last crisis, all we did was paper over a debt problem with far more debt.

The corona virus is not the cause of this. It is merely the pin that pricked the super-colossal hyper debt bubble. Every bubble eventually finds a pin. I this case though, it found a stick of dynamite. The virus didn't merely prick the bubble, it tore a gaping hole in it that can never be patched back up.

At this point, it doesn't matter what happens to the virus. Someone could wave a magic wand and make it disappear into the ether, we would still face a staggering economic contraction.

I've heard people say that this crisis is going to be worse than 2008. No f***king kidding. Not only is it going to be worse, it's going to be many times worse. The last crisis was an institutional/banking crisis. This is going to be a currency crisis and a sovereign debt crisis.

Old 04-01-2020, 11:41 AM

7,114 posts, read 4,536,107 times
I think everyone will be back to work by June 1. But when fall comes they will need to decide to shutdown again or not. Luckily being retired we can just isolate again in the fall.

Old 04-01-2020, 11:41 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
This is what my friend texted.
Your friend is not sufficiently competent to discuss such matters and is not very intelligent.

If your friend was sufficiently competent and had an IQ >75, your friend would be able to distinguish between work stoppage and job losses.

Recessions can have a single cause or multiple causes, and the causes may be systemic unemployment, Capital reallocation, Capital Flight, liquidity and a few other reasons.

For the period 1925 - 1950 you had seven recessions, 1925, 1928, 1930, 1935, 1937, 1946 and 1949.

The causes of the recessions were systemic unemployment (all of them), Capital reallocation (1925, 1928, 1937, 1946 and 1949) and liquidity (1930, 1935 and 1937).

You have unemployment, but it is not systemic and the cause of the unemployment is government-ordered shut-downs.

Those are temporary conditions.

Systemic unemployment occurs when your jobs ceases to exist or is supplanted by technology, and both of those were happening in the period prior to 1925 and continued through the 1950s.

There were many goods and services that ceased to exist, because no class of consumer needed or required those goods and services.

Wide-scaled introduction of electric technology permanently displaced 10s of 1,000s of workers.

You own a furniture company and you have 12 guys operating manual lathes. You buy 2 electric lathes that can do the work of 6 men, so you fire 10 guys.

Those 10 guys are systemically unemployed, because no one is using manual anything now. Everyone is using electric lathes, electric presses, electric planers, electric drill presses, electric grinders and such.

They will be unemployed for years on end, because the economy is growing fast enough to absorb them and because they'll need to be re-trained in a new field.

That is not what is happening now. People are unemployed only because government has shut down their jobs, or because government has ordered people to stay home.

Just as soon as those orders are lifted, everything will return to the way it was.

Old 04-01-2020, 11:44 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Is a depression inevitable?
There is only so much time an economy can survive while locked down, so yes, unless the government releases their strangle hold of the nation, we will eventually plunge into depression, and total chaos and violence.

Old 04-01-2020, 11:45 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
This is what my friend texted. Do you agree or is that a bit much. I know that some news is saying we will come back strong but I don’t know.

“We are headed for a depression, it’s inevitable now
All that needs to happen now is for the stock market to crash one more time and trading to be suspended. When that happens, assets will become frozen, credit will be suspended and inflation will hit rapid pace. The dollar value will plummet and basic items will be unaffordable
Think of Venezuelans eating out of dumpsters or eating their pets to stay alive
That’s the place we’re at right now with this lockdown. America cannot sustain this for another month
If we hit the rapid inflation that I predict, we will not be able to afford groceries soon“

No.

A vaccine will be ready eventually.

Other preventives and treatments will be available before then.

Trump will be re elected in November.

The Dow will break 30k next year.

....just my predictions.

Old 04-01-2020, 11:49 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Is a depression inevitable?
No. Pain is inevitable, but not a depression.

FWIW I believe there would have been a depression if Trump had not asked for a shutdown (he cannot order one). If there were no shutdown, the virus growth rate would still be in the 30% range (it's 15% now) and that means doubling every three days. The result would be 250,000 cases today and 4 million in two weeks, with 80,000 dead just in April - or more, since hospitals would be badly overloaded.
Our country could not withstand an event like that without a depression.

Old 04-01-2020, 11:57 AM

4,901 posts, read 3,361,298 times
I don't think we'll get as bad as Venezuela...especially considering the US dollar is the world's reserve currency...

But otherwise, it is starting to look like a Great Depression is inevitable at this point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies