Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 02:30 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,240,573 times

Advertisements

From time to time, the Republicans will remind you they are not just stupid, they are also cold and evil.

Quote:

'Reckless': Chaos Expected in Tuesday's Elections After Wisconsin Republicans Refuse to Cancel In-Person Voting

Despite warnings from public health experts and legal challenges by voting rights groups, the Democratic primary and state and local elections are set to go forward on Tuesday after Republican state legislators refused to take up a proposal to cancel most in-person voting in light of the coronavirus pandemic.

Despite coronavirus concerns, a district court refused to cancel the primary, but extended absentee voting until April 13. State Republicans initially appealed the court's decision to extend absentee voting to a federal court of appeals but their appeal was declined.
The GOP members believe that the election, including in-person voting, should happen on Tuesday and that absentee ballot deadline should not be extended to the middle of April.

Thankfully, the Democratic governor put a stop to this Republican nonsense.

Wisconsin governor issues executive order to delay Tuesday’s election until June

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2020, 04:32 PM

1,438 posts, read 780,003 times
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...delay-election

Republican-dominated Wisconsin Supreme Court overturns executive order, says voting must go on as scheduled on Tuesday. Does the GOP really care that little about Wisconsinites and their health?

Old 04-06-2020, 04:37 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,983,621 times
Honestly, I don't care about the GOP and voting, but if Walmart can distance people by 6 feet, wipe down shopping carts, and make sure people only move in only one direction, I'd like to think our government can figure out how to let people vote in a similarly safe fashion.

Or are we saying that buying Chinese made plastic and diabetes fuel is more important than voting?

Old 04-06-2020, 04:43 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,812,829 times
No one in the US "makes" anyone go out and vote as it is not compulsory here. If people can figure out how to go to the market then they can figure out how to go vote.

Old 04-06-2020, 04:45 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,382,061 times
Republicans are less likely to follow the social distancing guidelines. It's a way to suppress the Democratic vote.

Not that I care. I wouldn't vote if my life depended on it.

Old 04-06-2020, 05:34 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,420,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Republicans are less likely to follow the social distancing guidelines. It's a way to suppress the Democratic vote.

Not that I care. I wouldn't vote if my life depended on it.
That’s exactly it, Rs know a demographic wave is building against them and they have to do anything they can to stack elections in their favor to have any chance, mostly by tweaking how the elections are run and understanding patterns of human behavior in certain constituencies. Some are even stating to become more honest in talking about this process, as the need for greater coordination in this process has arisen if they want to maintain power nationally.

Old 04-06-2020, 05:47 PM

30,651 posts, read 18,255,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Honestly, I don't care about the GOP and voting, but if Walmart can distance people by 6 feet, wipe down shopping carts, and make sure people only move in only one direction, I'd like to think our government can figure out how to let people vote in a similarly safe fashion.

Or are we saying that buying Chinese made plastic and diabetes fuel is more important than voting?
Yep. Exactly my point as well. There is no reason why voting cannot take place in a safe manner, in person. And with many, many people working from home or laid off, there should be no complaints about long lines and the like.

With this, I was completely against a move to change the law to allow for in-person voting.

Fundamentally, I wouldn't be opposed to a law that allowed for universal mail in voting (in WI or elsewhere) if certain conditions were met. However, given how Democrats have weaponized the courts on the issue of voting rights, I cannot trust them that they would not sue to have such a law take place even if certain conditions weren't met. As it stands now, neither federal nor state courts can force the WI legislature to pass any law. But if a law was passed, courts could--via lawsuit--rule that the law would have to be used in a certain way in order to ensure that no undue burden be placed on "x" or "y" class of voters. We saw it with the early voting period in Ohio (which was cut down to a more manageable week or something like that from over 30 days . . . this while states like NY at the time didn't even have one hour of early voting at the time).

As for the OP, I guess the Democrat governor is "evil" and "cold" as well as he was, up until a few days ago, on board with holding the election as planned Or will you not use that language because the governor is, well, a Democrat

Old 04-06-2020, 05:54 PM

19,818 posts, read 9,381,719 times
Wisconsin Supreme Court just overturned the order.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...lection-168527

Old 04-06-2020, 05:59 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,420,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Wisconsin Supreme Court just overturned the order.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...lection-168527
Of course they did, the court is GOP dominated and one of the judges is even up for election in this election.

Old 04-06-2020, 06:05 PM

45,237 posts, read 26,470,793 times
Virus or no, voting is a bad proposition anytime. Imagine getting killed in a traffic accident on the way polls to vote for your favorite politician
Waste of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies