Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2020, 08:34 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,423,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I just saw this on the news today and all I can say is, SOMEONE must be listening to my opinions on Facebook!!! Weeks ago, I suggested that KY needs to create a hotline to report businesses not following the distancing rules...and BAM, the next week, KY creates a hotline for this very purpose!

Then, I was posting a few days ago, that these 'essential stores' need to stop selling 'non essential' products...and NOW, this is happening!!! WOW.

But seriously, this will be easy to enforce, the stores will just block off sections, this is what Lowes had done when I went there earlier today, they used lumber and buckets to block off the non essential sections. Should be pretty easy for Walmart, Target and those dept stores too, they can use the rope barriers they use during Christmas shopping, and I would imagine Loss prevention will be charge of enforcing it.
Just curious, but what is non essential at Lowes? Like the garden center or something?

I agree about blocking non essential areas, and I know someone who works at Walmart and plenty of workers are voicing the same as well from his experience at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Why should they stop selling nonessential items? And what exactly is considered nonessential. I don't think anyone should tell us what we can buy and can't buy.
Well, the only reason Walmart, Target, etc are open is because they sell groceries, that is unfair to stores who sell similar products but absent groceries. Food is considered essential, thus they are allowed to stay open, other items like clothing is not, in which many clothing retail have been closed.

Old 04-08-2020, 08:37 PM

7,276 posts, read 5,294,435 times
It's a slippery slope for government to try to make things even by controlling some businesses but not others. Actually that would be a dangerous precedent IMHO, coronavirus or not.

409 posts, read 874,913 times
I think it’s crazy. I read stores shouldn’t be allowed to sell books, music, paint, clothes, craft stuff, etc. But yet everyone is to stay in their homes Doing what all day? There is only so much TV people can watch. The more Occupied folks are in their house, the less they will be tempted to go out. And given how the positive results and death are rising, I don’t see people going to the store to hang out. Let people buy stuff so they can work on home projects and keep busy

We really have to stop obsessing on what everyone else is doing.

10,379 posts, read 10,930,818 times
Walmart sells very little that isnt essential, imho. I think even the book stores should be open, libraries too. What are people supposed to do while staying inside.

Old 04-08-2020, 08:39 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,393,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Walmart sells very little that isnt essential, imho. I think even the book stores should be open, libraries too. What are people supposed to do while staying inside.
Think of ways to control what their neighbor feels, thinks, and does even when it has no bearing on you whatsoever.

Old 04-08-2020, 08:45 PM

17,449 posts, read 9,285,984 times
Quote:
I just saw this on the news today and all I can say is, SOMEONE must be listening to my opinions on Facebook!!! Weeks ago, I suggested that KY needs to create a hotline to report businesses not following the distancing rules...and BAM, the next week, KY creates a hotline for this very purpose!

Then, I was posting a few days ago, that these 'essential stores' need to stop selling 'non essential' products...and NOW, this is happening!!! WOW.

But seriously, this will be easy to enforce, the stores will just block off sections, this is what Lowes had done when I went there earlier today, they used lumber and buckets to block off the non essential sections. Should be pretty easy for Walmart, Target and those dept stores too, they can use the rope barriers they use during Christmas shopping, and I would imagine Loss prevention will be charge of enforcing it.
You should consider armed Troops in stores that have the authority to shoot anyone who attempts to buy a non-essential item. Good idea about getting neighbors and perhaps even family to inform on anyone who breaks a Rule. This sort of program is used in many countries.

Another step toward our Transformed America.

Old 04-08-2020, 08:45 PM

32,108 posts, read 15,101,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I go to Target for essential and nonessential items. Saves me a trip going elsewhere or paying shipping costs to order online.

Progressives love control, don't they?
That's why we shop at Costco. They have everything. One stop shopping is the best. Peace of mind is essential right now. So if I want to look at pots and pans or lounge chairs for outside, we should be able too.

Old 04-08-2020, 08:49 PM

25,862 posts, read 12,890,963 times
Quote:

I'm 100% opposed to your politics, yet 100% in agreement w/ your thought processes.

Have you, or your kids, received any correspondence from the armed forces, or any gov't agency? Just curious. The feds see the standardized test results, & act upon them I've found.

Old 04-08-2020, 08:50 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,893,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I go to Target for essential and nonessential items. Saves me a trip going elsewhere or paying shipping costs to order online.

Progressives love control, don't they?
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. You're already at the store. That store also sells paint, paint brushes and tape. You are stuck at home. Time to nail that honey do list.

Seems to me the same folks who are all about hammering stores that sell more than essentials are also the ones making excuses for NYC's lousy virus containment measures.

Old 04-08-2020, 08:52 PM

32,108 posts, read 15,101,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Just curious, but what is non essential at Lowes? Like the garden center or something?

I agree about blocking non essential areas, and I know someone who works at Walmart and plenty of workers are voicing the same as well from his experience at least.

Well, the only reason Walmart, Target, etc are open is because they sell groceries, that is unfair to stores who sell similar products but absent groceries. Food is considered essential, thus they are allowed to stay open, other items like clothing is not, in which many clothing retail have been closed.
So you want to punish these stores because they sell other things besides food. Yeah, that sounds like a great plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies