Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2020, 09:35 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,661,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Geez, talk about extreme hand wringing. Maybe we should also decide what kind of food people can buy. Only healthy food as outlined by the OP.

Im waiting for the time when we are all issued those cool silver colored jumpsuits, so everyone looks the same!

Old 04-08-2020, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
If you saw it on the news today, perhaps you can link us to the news item. I did a search and couldn't find anything at all related to what you are saying.
Perhaps they considered it non essential and banned it? Or maybe it was a momentary hallucination you were experiencing from too much social distancing?

Give us a link OP or I say it doesn't exist except to create another baseless snivel thread.
Here it is...
https://www.businessinsider.com/cost...-states-2020-4

*Whats interesting, my state is not on the list...but Lowes was doing this today.

Old 04-08-2020, 09:48 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,294,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Im waiting for the time when we are all issued those cool silver colored jumpsuits, so everyone looks the same!
Now that’s something I can get on board with. Something like the 60’s Lost in Space.

Old 04-08-2020, 09:54 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,616,429 times
I see both sides. If I'm in Target anyway, and I want a can of paint, or a t-shirt, so what? (And clothing is essential, last time I checked).

I understand it from the perspective of the essential employees forced to be in contact with the public, putting themselves and their families at risk.

At a Home Depot, they said they understand staying open so someone can fix their commode, but not so they can shop for new throw pillows or patio chairs.

Everytime we go out, and every purchase we make, is keeping them there longer and requiring more of them. That goes for online purchases too, for those who seem to think they get packaged and arrive by magic.

What I see as essential as a consumer locked in my house and what I would see as essential were I the checker ringing up all sorts of crap instead of being safe at home are two entirely different things.

Random aside: The CDC suggests tools to have safe sex with oneself, but an Amazon employee was recently filmed ranting that dildos are NOT essential. So, no one can agree on anything.

Old 04-08-2020, 10:04 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,160,330 times
If a store is deemed essential because of something they sell, then that's it. They're essential.

The other businesses who are missing sales aren't missing sales because the other store is open. They're missing sales because they're closed. If the other store was closed, or can't sell "nonessential" items, they still wouldn't get those sales, because their store would still be closed regardless.

This is a case of jealousy, IMO. Wanting to hurt the competition because they have an advantage. It hurts the local people and local economy when they do this, too. Even if it's Walmart we're talking about, it's locals who are losing work because 2/3 of their store is off limits.

Old 04-08-2020, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
If a store is deemed essential because of something they sell, then that's it. They're essential.

The other businesses who are missing sales aren't missing sales because the other store is open. They're missing sales because they're closed. If the other store was closed, or can't sell "nonessential" items, they still wouldn't get those sales, because their store would still be closed regardless.

This is a case of jealousy, IMO. Wanting to hurt the competition because they have an advantage. It hurts the local people and local economy when they do this, too. Even if it's Walmart we're talking about, it's locals who are losing work because 2/3 of their store is off limits.
Oh I think they will be just as busy, I dont think this will stop people from coming into the store at all. They will just leisurely stroll thru the essential product sections.

I think this is also significant because, they are taking it up another notch (so to speak), and again, they are using 'health and safety of the general public' as the reason...Gee, where I have seen that done before?!!! LOL It appears like they have their own timeline, and rolling new restrictions out on a schedule...people whine a little, but they eventually comply...and then MORE restrictions are imposed...so on and so on.

Hate to say it, but it looks like all those tin foil hat wearing conspiracy theorists, were right all along...It may not be long until we have the equivalent of the 'Nazi SS' checking peoples papers, to be out in public!

Old 04-08-2020, 10:39 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,683,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Here it is...
https://www.businessinsider.com/cost...-states-2020-4

*Whats interesting, my state is not on the list...but Lowes was doing this today.
Thank you very much for the link. Greatly appreciated.

Interesting.

Old 04-08-2020, 10:43 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,683,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I see both sides. If I'm in Target anyway, and I want a can of paint, or a t-shirt, so what? (And clothing is essential, last time I checked).

I understand it from the perspective of the essential employees forced to be in contact with the public, putting themselves and their families at risk.

At a Home Depot, they said they understand staying open so someone can fix their commode, but not so they can shop for new throw pillows or patio chairs.

Everytime we go out, and every purchase we make, is keeping them there longer and requiring more of them. That goes for online purchases too, for those who seem to think they get packaged and arrive by magic.

What I see as essential as a consumer locked in my house and what I would see as essential were I the checker ringing up all sorts of crap instead of being safe at home are two entirely different things.

Random aside: The CDC suggests tools to have safe sex with oneself, but an Amazon employee was recently filmed ranting that dildos are NOT essential. So, no one can agree on anything.

good points. Since were social distancing, it's a great time to paint some rooms. Buy watercolors for the grandkids, Put together an IKEA desk{good luck}.

When you think about it, everything is essential.
Perhaps an essential police response team can send out directives.

Old 04-08-2020, 11:00 PM

Something else I thought of just now...this is going to have a SIGNIFICANT impact on manufacturing, and trucking industries! How many tractor trailers are on the road right now, hauling non essential products to these stores? Like clothing, furniture, decorative stuff, electronics, toys, dry goods, etc.

All of this will grind to a halt if this order goes nationwide.

Old 04-08-2020, 11:10 PM

32,147 posts, read 15,140,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
good points. Since were social distancing, it's a great time to paint some rooms. Buy watercolors for the grandkids, Put together an IKEA desk{good luck}.

When you think about it, everything is essential.
Perhaps an essential police response team can send out directives.
Haha. Never assemble an Ikea product with someone you are in isolation with. My husband always seems to put the parts on backwards or something. I laugh so hard, I cry so I have to leave the room so he doesn't get mad at me. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.