Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 11:05 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,074,274 times

Advertisements

Mr O'Reilly was impolitic. Still.

It is sad for the families, the death of these folks. However, if they weren't yet, they were sure to become burdens on society and their families. Unfortunately, folks are still unable to make the connection to the chronic diseases and personal choices. Maybe, just maybe this pandemic will help folks to see that they can make different choices.

Exceptions to choices and ill-health? You betcha. Truly, sadly they are just that. Exceptions.

P.S. Outrageous cost of healthcare in the U.S. today? Look in the mirror.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2020, 02:49 PM

19,731 posts, read 10,153,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
But a lot of those underlying conditions are not death sentences, many, many people live for years and years with hypertension and diabetes just fine. This virus turns a run of the mill condition with little impact on life, into a life or death struggle.
So does the flu.

Old 04-11-2020, 02:55 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,237,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Unfortunately, it’s the truth.

We have to be honest here. The immune compromised, and or people with one foot in the grave are not going to fare well.
Then what about all these young doctors and nurses that are dying?

Old 04-11-2020, 03:01 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,237,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Assuming you beat it then.

People that lift weights cut their chances of getting cancer by 50%.

Of those who still do get cancer, they survive at double the rate of the gen pop cancer patient.

It gives you a massive advantage.
I would like you to prove this. As a cancer survivor myself, I know the importance of exercise. Except for four grueling months of chemo I swim and continue aerobics.
But never, ever has my oncologist told me it cuts my chance of death in half.

Old 04-11-2020, 03:11 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,601,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD59 View Post
The former Fox News host resurfaces with the worst possible take on the COVID-19 pandemic.

Disgraced former Fox News host Bill O’Reilly resurfaced on Wednesday to share his thoughts on the wave of deaths due to the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic.

And he doesn’t seem to have much sympathy for the victims, who tend to be older and are more likely to have other health problems.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/bill-...0?guccounter=1
What he is saying is not factually incorrect. A little callous perhaps, but not incorrect.

Old 04-11-2020, 04:36 PM

4,883 posts, read 3,308,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
What he is saying is not factually incorrect. A little callous perhaps, but not incorrect.
He's the one of the very few media folks I've got even a shred of respect for anymore. He says what he thinks, and what a lot of other folks are thinking... and it won't hurt his feelings if somebody tunes out.

I didn't hear this particular comment, but I expect he said a helluva lot more than, 'were on their last legs anyway'. Context is important.

Old 04-11-2020, 05:01 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,213,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
Then what about all these young doctors and nurses that are dying?
What are you talking about? This is borderline hysterical. A lot of young US doctors and nurses are not dying. There was the 34 year old whistle blower doctor that died in China, but that is possibly anything including poisoning.

Old 04-11-2020, 08:48 PM

7,384 posts, read 4,166,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
What are you talking about? This is borderline hysterical. A lot of young US doctors and nurses are not dying. There was the 34 year old whistle blower doctor that died in China, but that is possibly anything including poisoning.
The more exposure, the more likely dying from corona - healthcare workers are surrounded by the virus .

Quote:
By Tuesday, 7,097 people had died in British hospitals from the coronavirus, the government said on Wednesday, a leap of 938 from the day before, the largest daily rise in the death toll.

And the victims have included not just the eight doctors but a number of nurses who worked alongside them, at least one from overseas
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/08/w...mmigrants.html

Quote:
One hundred Italian doctors have died of the novel coronavirus since the pandemic reached the country in February, Italy's main doctors' association said on Thursday, with analysts estimating that 10 percent of those infected in Italy work in healthcare.
https://www.france24.com/en/20200409...rus-passes-100

Quote:
Spain is one of the countries worst-hit by the new coronavirus pandemic. As its hospitals race to save patients' lives, many health workers themselves are catching COVID-19.

By last Friday, more than 9,400 medical personnel were infected, which was nearly 15% of all confirmed cases at the time. As of Tuesday, Spain registered over 94,400 cases — more than China's infections — and the world's second highest death toll at over 8,200.
https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...ear-runs-short

Quote:
Seven Veterans Affairs health care staffers have already died from coronavirus complications and more than 1,100 more forced into quarantine in recent weeks, adding further stress to the already taxed medical system.

Department officials on Wednesday confirmed the deaths have occurred among staffers in at least five sites: two in Reno, Nev., and one each at VA hospitals in Ann Arbor, Mich., Detroit, Indianapolis and Houston. The location of the seventh death wasn’t immediately known.
https://www.militarytimes.com/news/2...s-cases-mount/

Old 04-11-2020, 09:02 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,428,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
I would like you to prove this. As a cancer survivor myself, I know the importance of exercise. Except for four grueling months of chemo I swim and continue aerobics.
But never, ever has my oncologist told me it cuts my chance of death in half.
Depends on the specific study but it's usually somewhere between 25 and 50%.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/20...dy_a_23263859/ - 31% chance less likely to die of cancer in this study

https://www.clubindustry.com/fitness...new-study-says - reduce colon cancer risk by 25%

https://blogs.ohsu.edu/cancertransla...ncer-survival/ - 24% lower risk of breast cancer recurrence and a 34% lower risk of breast cancer death

As someone that does lift weights, this data doesn't surprise me at all. You literally feel your whole body get stronger, and I don't just mean muscular or external.

Old 04-11-2020, 09:04 PM

20,165 posts, read 9,065,378 times
over 80 and die of coronavirus?

you had a good life....cya
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies