Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 07:29 PM

6,344 posts, read 2,898,603 times

Advertisements

News - Research in Germany
Quote:
Insufficient and delayed testing may explain why some European countries, such as Italy and Spain, are experiencing much higher casualty numbers (relative to reported confirmed cases) than Germany, which has detected an estimated 15.6% of infections compared to only 3.5% in Italy or 1.7% in Spain. Detection rates are even lower in the United States (1.6%) and the United Kingdom (1.2%) .
This is what I suspected. An Iceland study showed that half of the people with COVID have no symptoms. I think I had it and I probably exposed 20 people at work. A few other people at work missed a day of work after I did. This means that a lot of people are sitting home when they don't need to. We really need to get that antibody test.
Quote:
public health officials are hoping that tens of millions of Americans will have access to a simple blood test that can identify recovered patients who've developed some kind of immune response to the virus.

The idea behind the push is that people who have been exposed to the virus form antibodies in their bloodstream that may help them to fight off another infection. The hope is that the body's antibodies against COVID-19 can diminish the chances of re-infection. Theoretically, those found to have immunized antibodies could then return to work and help reignite the economy.
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/simp...ry?id=70024837

Last edited by mascoma; 04-09-2020 at 08:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2020, 07:41 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,210,287 times
The numbers seem highly speculative to me. But if you believe them then....

one can conclude based upon those numbers that the US Death/Infection rate is actually the lowest/best in the world. And that the US is much closer to herd immunity than any other Country! Win-win.

Old 04-09-2020, 07:46 PM

8,957 posts, read 2,558,130 times
......or so the Germans would have you believe

Old 04-09-2020, 07:49 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,055,189 times
When more studies come out confirming this, then hopefully our governments wise up and end all of this idiotic lockdown nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
What exactly are you implying?

Old 04-09-2020, 07:49 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
The following is only my opinion:

Would one feel more at ease believing the China?

Old 04-09-2020, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
What exactly are you implying?
Just an old bit that Norm Macdonald used to do when he anchored the SNL "fake news" as he called it.

He had several running gags like that. In that one he'd read a news headline and then say "....or so the Germans would have you believe" and then stare into the camera for a few seconds.

Another he'd read a headline and then say "Which once again proves my time tested theory, Germans love David Hasselhoff"

Those kinds of references don't really work if people don't know them ahead of time.

Old 04-09-2020, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
The following is only my opinion:

Would one feel more at ease believing the China?
I, just like anyone else that claims to believe what the Chinese say about anything, believe everything the Chinese say so long as their checks keep hitting the bank.

Old 04-09-2020, 08:01 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times
Lets, for argument's sake, say the German study is right, and the US has only detected 1.6% of all known SARS-CoV-2 infections, and we have 468,566 total cases currently (going by the world-o-meter stats), that would mean the total cases are really 29,285,375 or roughly 9% of the total US population. That's seems kinda high, no?

That would make our actual fatality rate 16,691/29,285,375 = 0.057%, I don't know about. That would be half as deadly as the annual flu. Yeah, I'm sure the US is missing cases, but not 98.4% of them.

Even to get to so-called herd immunity, we might need to get up to 80% of the entire population to have been infected and recovered, we have quite a ways to go!

Old 04-09-2020, 08:02 PM

6,344 posts, read 2,898,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
The numbers seem highly speculative to me. But if you believe them then....

one can conclude based upon those numbers that the US Death/Infection rate is actually the lowest/best in the world. And that the US is much closer to herd immunity than any other Country! Win-win.
I believe they MIGHT be true. If we get an antibody test we could KNOW.

Old 04-09-2020, 08:03 PM

30,371 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
News - Research in Germany

This is what I suspected. An Iceland study showed that half of the people with COVID have no symptoms. I think I had it and I probably exposed 20 people at work. A few other people at work misted a day of work after I did. This means that a lot of people are sitting home when they don't need to. We really need to get that antibody test.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/simp...ry?id=70024837
We have insufficient testing capability that's for sure. We need to do better. I doubt that 1.6% number but I believe there are probably 5 people positive for every one identified....we need to test everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies