Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 02:41 PM

26,011 posts, read 13,007,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
I don't think you know what you're talking about, most make more in the private sector than the public or federal, however the benefits are usually better. And why is it the dept. Of Education is always such a favorite of people like yourself? Do you want a population of uneducated backwoods hillbillies? If you want to live in a country filled with unintelligent people like mama june and Donald trump leave and start your own. How about we cut the bloated defense budget first.
I could prove 2 of your 3 points wrong (not bloated defense though, I'm not going there), but it wouldn't help. I only save the saveable. You'll need to save yourself by doing a few internet searches.

Your first 3 words it all I needed to read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2020, 02:46 PM

24,057 posts, read 15,168,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
You obviously know very little about business, economics and finance. Maybe take some courses, read, study, run some case studies, do some analysis and then we can talk.
Have a business running right now today and for the last 40 years. It has 3 employees +DH and me.

And DH retired at 52 from corporate America when the MBAs took over the world.

We are doing OK. But thanks.

In our opinion consumer demand creates jobs. Somebody has to create demand or nobody makes any money. But then, we also think Americans buy too much stuff they don't need.

Old 04-11-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo3000 View Post
The Coronavirus shows it. People want bigger and expensive government
Correction...Government wants bigger, and more expensive government...

The fox is in the henhouse.

They (Fed Gov't) are all writing themselves huge checks. Of the first $2.1T C-19 stimulus, American citizens got $1,200, and government got ~$4,800 for each person who got the $1,200. So, 1 for you, and 4 for me.

this message was approved by the "Save the 99% foundation"

Old 04-11-2020, 03:06 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,569,128 times
Reaganomics= huge deficit ....with that being said all that “your grandchildren will be paying for this” Back then...even now....And life continues to this day...same as usual, so what’s the fuss? Billion, trillion, etc.. there is no end, so I don’t even worry about it anymore

Old 04-11-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
We have to undo the attack on the middle class that started under Reagan.

The trickle down never worked and now the young have no pensions, invested in sketchy 401ks, skyrocketing healthcare costs and student loans for life. Team red should own up to it.
yeah, Team Red is 100% of the problem. Team Blue had nothing to do with sending all our great jobs elsewhere. Take look who inititated the China NTR and China WTO membership pushes. Who signed NAFTA...not team Red.

BOTH parties are guilty of crushing the 99%, we could be here for an eternity debating on which Team has done more, or are doing more to destroy us.

The top 1% controls 40% of the wealth, and Government takes 38% of every GDP dollar. Together, they cotrol 78%, and its growing rapidly.

Our stupid Red vs. Blue tiffs are debates over the ever-shrinking remaining 22%... bread crumbs.

They are dividing on conquering us, and you've fallen for it. Come together, or die. Next year, it will be down to 21%.

Last edited by beach43ofus; 04-11-2020 at 03:32 PM..

Old 04-11-2020, 03:16 PM

11,987 posts, read 5,317,668 times
One of the factors that helped grow the economy in the 1950’s was the original GI bill of 1944 which helped returning servicemen buy homes and attend college. It was arguably one of, if not the best investments that Congress ever made in its own people.

Quote:
If you grew up in a suburb, attended college, own a home, or consider yourself to be “middle class,” there’s a good chance you’re the beneficiary of the G.I. Bill of Rights.

Its official name was the Servicemen’s Readjustment Act, and its original goals were modest: to help veterans move from the military back to civilian life after World War II. And, if possible, to avoid the unemployment and recession that usually came at war’s end.

The Bill did far more than that. Its benefits made a new life for the wartime generation and improved the opportunities for their children and grandchildren.

Signed into effect by President Franklin Roosevelt on June 22, 1944 — just two weeks after D-Day — it provided veterans help in buying a home, setting up their own business, starting a farm, going to college, learning a trade, finishing high school, or getting a government job.
Quote:
The G.I. Bill can’t take all the credit for the growth of America’s middle class. The revival of the auto industry, with well paid jobs for thousands, also played a big role. So did the fact that the U.S. was the only working industrial economy in the world.

But the 1950s’ prosperity wouldn’t have been possible without millions of veterans who had upgraded their skills with the Servicemen’s Readjustment Act. And set a new standard of living for themselves and their children and grandchildren. who now represents at least 30% of Americans
https://www.saturdayeveningpost.com/...anged-america/

Last edited by Bureaucat; 04-11-2020 at 03:25 PM..

Old 04-11-2020, 03:23 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,065,062 times
Reagan was a RINO and a notorious pedophile. The US is better off without his communist policies. MAGA!

Old 04-11-2020, 03:26 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,819,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Hopefully Reaganism is dead, and Trickle down economics....
Not quite, Wall Street will and has been putting up a huge fight to maintain the status quo. Don't expect corporate America to bend over backwards just yet.

Just look at the example with the airlines bailout money as a part of the CARES act. The Treasury Secretary maintained it is not a bailout... it is intended to provide cash to keep employees on the books and has tried to do some arm twisting with the airlines to set an offer to distribute the aid with (and in my view, I see it as more of a slap on the wrist to say stop spending all your free cash flow on buying back stock and issuing higher dividends to enrich your shareholders and keep in your savings account for times like this). The union though isn't happy... (they're also blinded by Wall Street corporate executive culture). The union is being really idiotic here. Airlines and all corporate America in general, needs a huge slap on the wrist to stop the stock buyback/shareholder first mindset. Focus on PAYING EMPLOYEES more and saving for a rainy day - like all us individual consumers have to do.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/11/flig...ut-offers.html

Old 04-11-2020, 03:51 PM

1,074 posts, read 952,816 times
I don't hate rich people. I want to be rich. But corporate executives exploiting I don't like. Reagan was a optimist but he saw a lot of exploitation in the corporate world that he did not change.

Old 04-11-2020, 03:51 PM

7,271 posts, read 4,230,057 times
most of the posters here are clueless as to what is happening behind the scenes in support of their standard of living. enjoy it while you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies