Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 01:19 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastriver View Post
A contributor helpfully points out today that California averages 15 deaths per 1M people from the disease:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/57817255-post7.html

Yet Texas's COVID-19 mortality rate is almost half that, at 8.8 per million:
https://txdshs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/...01e8b9cafc8b83

So why is California suffering so many more SARS-CoV-2 casualties per capita?
Because a lot of people in CA are stacked on top of each other, whereas in Texas, you have a lot more wide open spaces.

Old 04-11-2020, 01:23 PM

2,495 posts, read 867,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Let's follow the conversation and stay on track. In answering your OP? This is how it went:

The question was answered way back in your thread. Jeez! The link was a response to your OP Question and about how many foreign travelers there are to Texas and California. California obviously has WAY MORE. FACTS! And this is a probable explanation to your OP Question.

This is not hard! You trying to obfuscate the simplicity of this is telling!

Furthermore, as I noted earlier both Texas and CA are not high.

Can we agree that blue states have far higher death per capita tolls than a 29M pop. red state that values liberty?

Old 04-11-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Because a lot of people in CA are stacked on top of each other, whereas in Texas, you have a lot more wide open spaces.
Pop. density seems about the same where most of the people actually are in each state:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Da...!4d-96.8017387

Have you ever viewed the I-35 corridor from space?

Last edited by eastriver; 04-11-2020 at 01:46 PM..

Old 04-11-2020, 01:35 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
California is actually very low and so is Texas....be thankful and hopeful it doesn't get worse.
this. all I care about is that everybody does better than NYC so we can open back up sooner. I'm grateful that TX, CA, WA are doing so well. May be a little early to celebrate FL.

Old 04-11-2020, 01:43 PM

3,346 posts, read 1,269,360 times
Quote:
Can we agree that blue states have far higher death per capita tolls than a 29M pop. red state that values liberty?
Considering that California was one of the first states to get hit by COVID-19 and the first to respond by putting shelter-in-place, I would say California did a fantastic job in not becoming overrun like New York.

Texas didn't get hit right away because like other posters have said on here, it's just not as big a destination for travelers like New York and California. They didn't get the big clusters, they weren't caught off-guard, they had time to prepare and learn from other states actions.

Has zero to do with political ideology. The virus doesn't care if you're Republican or Democrat, Liberal or Conservative.

Old 04-11-2020, 01:45 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
You will need to do better than that to draw such a conclusion as why that is the case. Come on man! There are so many other factors - don't let your partisanship (tribalism) blind you and make you look like an idiot.

Here is the bottom line to what we were discussing:

Does California have more foreign travelers than Texas? YES

Does this amount to more than two times (since this is the amount of the death rate per million)? YES - it's about 5x as many.

Can this be a reason why? YES - which answers the OP and was the point of the link.

Why you are so hard headed is obvious - Politics.

Old 04-11-2020, 01:46 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,219,603 times
I don't know if the homeless population figures into the overall statistics, but I would imagine that California would far outweigh Texas in this area. And that population would seem especially vulnerable.

Old 04-11-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
Considering that California was one of the first states to get hit by COVID-19 and the first to respond by putting shelter-in-place, I would say California did a fantastic job in not becoming overrun like New York.

Texas didn't get hit right away because like other posters have said on here, it's just not as big a destination for travelers like New York and California. They didn't get the big clusters, they weren't caught off-guard, they had time to prepare and learn from other states actions.

Has zero to do with political ideology. The virus doesn't care if you're Republican or Democrat, Liberal or Conservative.
Texas is where the first Diamond Princess evacuees were temporarily resettled from Japan.

Last edited by eastriver; 04-11-2020 at 02:27 PM..

Old 04-11-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
I don't know if the homeless population figures into the overall statistics, but I would imagine that California would far outweigh Texas in this area.
Austin is getting there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
And that population would seem especially vulnerable.
Doesn't seem to be affecting the homeless pop. much either way.

Old 04-11-2020, 02:10 PM

8,151 posts, read 3,678,584 times
Quote:
You didn't think this through, did you?

https://covid19.healthdata.org/unite...ica/california

https://covid19.healthdata.org/unite...-america/texas

In case you are still confused, according to the above models CA is 4 days to peak in daly deaths, TX is 17. Texas might change, because early predictions are less reliable, but in any case, this is a very large difference. Then scroll down and look at the total predictions.

Clear?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies