Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 11:21 AM

834 posts, read 467,552 times

Advertisements

An oft quoted statement is "Never let a good crisis go to waste", and in the government's view what better crisis than one where it's citizens clamor for lock-down?

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...article_inline

The article, which is not very long and probably only uncovers the peak of the mountain of skullduggery, specifically mentions the present administration but erosion of our liberties has happened at every 'crisis'. And in many instances we beg for or demand it. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2020, 11:57 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
That's just it now ain't it. Yowling for freedoms to be taken away. All for the "public good." Friend turns on friend, family on family, submitting to the authorities that have nothing but our best interests at heart and know better even than we do what those interests are.

We must TRUST the government. Indeed, I'm certain those fat, suit wearing, Mercedes driving, four mansion owning, two legged varmints called politicians have me n mine at heart when they send out those executive orders.

Sure. And so life as we've known it ends. The last vestiges of liberty die. No more off the cuff road trips on my bike. Must have papers for that citizen. Your papers are not in order ( spoken with a German accent and Nazi arrogance in the tone) Or perhaps Russian with a KGB flair. Get used to hearing that with an American regional sound.

Puts new meaning to the title State Trooper dont it. Yep, soon we'll hear calls for citizens to stack arms. Regular folks cant be trusted and we dont need weapons. We are a nation of laws.

Truly. I'm just wetting myself with anticipation of never worrying about thinking for myself ever again. Nahh. I probably wont live to see this crisis abate and if I do I wont live to see the politicians lay aside their emergency powers.

That's something so many people just dont remember. Nowhere in history has government ever laid any power given it aside. Especially power the people have rushed to give it. Always because they were fearful and wanted protection. Cuz government and authority are the only protection we have.

I am soooooo over this s***. Yep, eat sheep. 50 million coyotes cant be wrong.

Old 04-13-2020, 12:10 PM

8,244 posts, read 3,499,398 times
The government can use it as an excuse to take someone away. Even if it isn't true, if someone complains the government can tell society that person has the virus. Everyone will shut up. The person will disappear. They can claim the person died of the virus later if it comes to that, even if the person had been healthy. No one will question it.

Old 04-13-2020, 12:49 PM

834 posts, read 467,552 times
I don't like what is happening either. I wish more people would take time to write/email their representatives and voice concerns. Emailing can't be that much harder than getting on CD and posting back and forth. Probably shouldn't complain to the all the time but every once in a while might help us keep our liberties a while longer.

Old 04-13-2020, 01:02 PM

15,850 posts, read 6,554,586 times
I wouldn't think so, given the language in the Constitution:

Quote:
The Privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public Safety may require it.
Is an imported disease considered an invasion? It shouldn't. Legal opinion has it that the Congress holds the power to suspend it.

Ref.: https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitu...ion-9/clause-2

Old 04-13-2020, 01:03 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
No. The opening of the Guantanamo Prison already destroyed Habeas Corpus.

Old 04-13-2020, 02:10 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,956,572 times
NVPlumber has a good handle on this. Sorry can't rep you again yet.

This is what they did in El Salvador, remember the death squads? Remember the "disappeared" in Argentina? We have a growing despotic government at every level that is completely out of control and which has shown it's propensity toward authoritarian police state oppression for a very long time. This thing is barely getting started and already we are seeing "atrocities" by police we wouldn't have imagined a month ago. People being arrested for paddle boarding, states blockading borders to non-residents. In other countries it's far worse.

These obscure "emergency laws," including draconian laws like the "Patriot Act," civil asset forfeiture, and the gun control acts of 1968 and 1934 need to be severely restricted or rescinded, even if it hamstrings response to an extent. Defense of personal freedom comes first IMHO. The growing use of widespread public surveillance needs to be substantially curtailed.

The DOJ needs to be severely cut back. It has become a US version of the KGB. The job of Attorney General needs to return to that of an advisor to the President. The numerous redundant federal law enforcement agencies need to be rolled into the FBI, so there's only one outfit to deal with. Local law enforcement should be ONLY the elected sheriff department. We do not need state police, or city police - those jobs could easily be taken over by expanded sheriff offices. But it will never happen because the corrupt law enforcement racket doesn't want to lose their jobs or power.

We are going to need a Congress that takes SUBSTANTIAL action to limit the powers of the President, yes, even in times of emergency or war. These "executive orders" need to go away. It has been clear for 30 years that presidents are unable to control themselves. The right of free transit between states by individuals must become an actual Amendment to the Bill of Rights. The CONGRESS, of the People, needs to be the delegating agency for emergency powers, not one man. Whether you like Trump or not it is clear he is in way over his head (I doubt the man has a 250 word vocabulary) and has surrounded himself with morons and anyone with half a brain is or will get kicked out of the circle of power. My gawd - what is Jarred Kushner doing anywhere around this crisis?

All gun laws need to be reconciled to one national set, and permits from one state need to be honored by ALL states - or we go to national unrestricted carry. "Gun free" zones need to be abolished at least for vetted people with gun permits. Obviously you don't want unvetted people carrying guns into prisons - but if you start there where does it end? Where we are today.

There needs to be term limits on all elected offices. I prefer ONE term per office, then run for something else if you want to make politics a career.

Somehow we have to restore democracy "By the People," not by the oligarchs and despotic plutocrats.

We have a LOT of work ahead. Maybe this covid crisis can start the restoration of a democratic Constitutional republic to America.

Last edited by jamies; 04-13-2020 at 02:27 PM..

Old 04-13-2020, 02:15 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,377,888 times
You have no rights. You only have privileges if you eat your veggies.

Old 04-13-2020, 02:29 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,638,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
NVPlumber has a good handle on this. Sorry can't rep you again yet.

This is what they did in El Salvador, remember the death squads? Remember the "disappeared" in Argentina? We have a growing despotic government at every level that is completely out of control and which has shown it's propensity toward authoritarian police state oppression. This thing is barely getting started and already we are seeing "atrocities" by police we wouldn't have imagined a month ago. People being arrested for paddle boarding, states blockading borders to non-residents. In other countries it's far worse.

These obscure "emergency laws," including draconian laws like the "Patriot Act," civil asset forfeiture, and the gun control acts of 1968 and 1934 need to be severely restricted or rescinded, even if it hamstrings response to an extent. Defense of personal freedom comes first IMHO. The growing use of widespread public surveillance needs to be substantially curtailed.

The numerous redundant federal law enforcement agencies need to be rolled into the FBI, so there's only one corrupt outfit to deal with. Local law enforcement should be ONLY the elected sheriff department. We do not need state police, or city police - those jobs could easily be taken over by expanded sheriff offices. But it will never happen because the corrupt law enforcement racket doesn't want to lose their jobs or power.

We are going to need a Congress that takes SUBSTANTIAL action to limit the powers of the President, yes, even in times of emergency or war. These "executive orders" need to go away. It has been clear for 30 years that presidents are unable to control themselves. The right of free transit between states by individuals must become an actual Amendment to the Bill of Rights. The CONGRESS, of the People, needs to be the delegating agency for emergency powers, not one man. Whether you like Trump or not it is clear he is in way over his head (I doubt the man has a 250 work vocabulary) and has surrounded himself with morons and anyone with half a brain is or will get kicked out of the circle of power. My gawd - what is Jarred Kushner doing anywhere around this crisis?

All gun laws need to be reconciled to one national set, and permits from one state need to be honored by ALL states - or we go to national unrestricted carry. "Gun free" zones need to be abolished at least for vetted people with gun permits.

There needs to be term limits on all elected offices. I prefer ONE term per office, then run for something else if you want to make politics a career.

Somehow we have to restore democracy "By the People," not by the oligarchs and despotic plutocrats.

We have a LOT of work ahead. Maybe this covid crisis can start the restoration of a democratic Constitutional republic to America.
I'm afraid it rather too late pard. Theres to many people who are just scared to death. People in my closer circle are all hyped up about having to follow government orders.

Folks I never for a second woulda thunk. That tells me they found something that works to divide us all up enough to gain that foothold. A person who is as close to me as it gets is just petrified.

The NV governor is a moron and hes just digging all these emergency orders. He looks so much like Mussolini it makes me ***. I'm just up to the gills.

Every which way I look or listen all I get fed is fear. Sheesh, I finally got my gal to laugh today. First time in a spell. I've had time and inclinations to cook, so shes way happy bout that.

I'm just gonna go with the flow. See what shakes out. Sooner or later I figure I'll know what will need doing. And I'll dood it.

Old 04-13-2020, 02:58 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,394,747 times
"The Justice Department has quietly asked Congress for the ability to ask chief judges to detain people indefinitely without trial during emergencies"

What the f*** is going on!!!!!! I own zero tin foil hats but that statement bothers me.

(Apologies to PHMA for using up some of his/her exclamation points.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies