Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 03:32 PM

934 posts, read 403,002 times

Advertisements

What's the deal, you want to be on the top of this list
Or is it muh-freedoms
or, even better, muh-haircut, waah

Speaker, in a deep, resonating, and doomsday voice: In the time of staying at home, they decided to go big. Their haircut couldn't wait. Watch them overcomb all the obstacles to the nearest Stupidcuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2020, 03:56 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchtoecig View Post
What's the deal, you want to be on the top of this list
Or is it muh-freedoms
or, even better, muh-haircut, waah

Speaker, in a deep, resonating, and doomsday voice: In the time of staying at home, they decided to go big. Their haircut couldn't wait. Watch them overcomb all the obstacles to the nearest Stupidcuts.
I finally found a publication that gave the chronological events within their headlines, so I scrolled all the way back to January (a look back if you will) The first case of someone having it, was around January 15, in the u.s.; as of April 15, that makes this a 90 day event so far ... take those numbers and do an average per day; see what you come up with.

Old 04-16-2020, 05:15 PM

1,086 posts, read 442,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Texas ranks 49th in testing. I suspect, but can't prove, that Texas is a little bit like China and is under-reporting their deaths. We know in many states that nursing homes are not reporting their COVID deaths (I also suspect Florida's death count is low too).

OP: "Texas, the 10th largest economy in the world"

That was before the price of oil crashed below $30. Texas is a one-trick pony, their economy is largely driven by oil and gas. Even if they "reopen for business" it's not going to matter when the oil companies can't make a profit at under $30 per barrel. I saw a headline where thousands of oil patch workers have been laid off.
one trick pony? That is way off. AT&T, , Best cancer hospital and one of the largest and best hospitals in the world MD Anderson , NASA, Aerospace, Defense, Dell,Texas Instruments , booming tech hub in Austin, Neiman marcus, American Airlines, southwest, Toyota etc.

energy is not a fading sector for long either

Old 04-16-2020, 05:27 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacommonwealth View Post
one trick pony? That is way off. AT&T, , Best cancer hospital and one of the largest and best hospitals in the world MD Anderson , NASA, Aerospace, Defense, Dell,Texas Instruments , booming tech hub in Austin, Neiman marcus, American Airlines, southwest, Toyota etc.

energy is not a fading sector for long either
And all that is going to be at risk if the state reopens too soon.

Old 04-16-2020, 05:31 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
If Texas re-opens tomorrow, it will be the first state to ignore Trump's new guidelines. Texas is still not clearly at its peak case growth. They will need another week maybe to be sure. So they get through the first "gate" 2-3 weeks from now at best. (ignoring that they have dismal testing capacity in place as well).

Old 04-16-2020, 05:49 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
But will Trump stop a Governor from rescinding their stay at home orders?

So the President didn't make any Governor implement stay at home and now he's going to decide when they can lift it?

You can't mandate businesses to open. We are still in America.

So if Texas wants to give it a go -- let them -- I'm all in for them being the guinea pigs -- someone has to -- better them than me

Because no one, not even a governor can "force" anyone to stay at home, constitutionally

One would think you'd have learned humility after being so wrong on so many important things.

You have the self-awareness of a potato.

https://twitter.com/SidneyPowell1/st...27100196016128

Old 04-16-2020, 05:59 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,012,264 times
I was working on a project in the DFW when this whole thing broke, the client is now asking for a plan to reengage during teh next 4 weeks, I already told them I am not doing it. Until there is infrastructure in place for large scale testing, it does not seem like a good idea. I just turned 40 but I get seasonal allergies that turn to bronchitis once a year, so I am at risk. i would revisit in May but I am not going anywhere in April.

Old 04-16-2020, 06:15 PM

57,298 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
If Texas re-opens tomorrow, it will be the first state to ignore Trump's new guidelines. Texas is still not clearly at its peak case growth. They will need another week maybe to be sure. So they get through the first "gate" 2-3 weeks from now at best. (ignoring that they have dismal testing capacity in place as well).
The guidelines indicate a 14 day decline in new cases and deaths, Texas has a few weeks to go.

Old 04-16-2020, 06:41 PM

15,531 posts, read 10,504,683 times
I don't know about the rest of the state, but in DFW there are many test sites now. I can even go get a self swab test if I want (shorter swab too). Not to mention the numerous antibody (blood prick) testing sites. Maybe there is a lag time with different private companies on their reporting, I don't know. Maybe some folks don't want to test, I don't know. I do know that there are numerous sites around here. Besides the private physicians, labs and government, Walgreens even has them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies