Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2020, 01:48 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,610,170 times

Advertisements

It's not just groceries or toiletries--Costco has an automotive repair and tire shop, a vision center, and a travel agency. They sell furniture and appliances as well. Others have already mentioned the affordable alcohol selection and cheap gas prices. OP it sounds like you've never set food in Costco or have seen their website or their circular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2020, 01:53 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
It's not just groceries or toiletries--Costco has an automotive repair and tire shop, a vision center, and a travel agency. They sell furniture and appliances as well. Others have already mentioned the affordable alcohol selection and cheap gas prices. OP it sounds like you've never set food in Costco or have seen their website or their circular.
Booze!!! How could I forget booze!?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-15-2020, 01:56 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Electronics, too. Good pricing, phone support with a clue, and returns accepted within 90 days, no questions asked.

Old 04-15-2020, 02:27 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
Yep. Pretty much.

DH and I have been in one Costco to see what the fuss was about. We didn't see anything of use to us, and we don't like warehouses for shopping, so we left and have never gone back.
Really? So odd. You don't use...toilet paper, coffee, butter, tuna, plastic wrap, chicken, olive oil, toothpaste, nuts, bacon, vitamins...? Or maybe you just mean you prefer buying in small quantities, or only very specific brands. Okay.

I only buy specific things at Costco. I'm not an impulse shopper (my husband is, which is why I go and he doesn't!) I price things out and if I'm not saving it by buying at Costco, I don't buy.

But, for example, the coffee k-cups my family prefers are $0.38 each at Costco, but $0.54 at Wal-Mart. When you drink as much coffee as we do, that adds up. Tillamook cheddar cheese is $4.80/lb at Costco and $6.62/lb at Wal-Mart. We eat a lot of cheese, too.

Old 04-15-2020, 03:22 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,434,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I think trying to turn it political is non productive. The OP has a very strange view of Costco, and most of it is inaccurate.

That said, you don't like a store? Don't shop there. I'm not sure what one would gain by putting people down for it.
Its more about what it represents than anything else.

It is a road side warehouse filled with grey textures, packaged goods for middle income families, all tied to a credit based subscription fee.

Its cheap, but is that a good thing?

It is apparent that so many people like Costco, and have difficulty criticizing. But just because you embrace something doesn't mean you can't abhor it as well.

Costco overreaches in trying to replace civil traditions with a family of consumers. I have seen how everyone loves it despite the lack of sophistication. There are more important things than herding together people in a practical manner.

I have not stepped foot in one, but I drove pass one and it epitomizes the strip mall culture that feeds on the financial burdened.

It is mass media at its worse, giving people across the country a homogeneous shopping experience that they share with one another. Case in point how much everyone here already knows about all the Costco schemes, as if it was some community gathering.

Old 04-15-2020, 03:30 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Wow. lol

Nothing about where I shop represents my level of sophistication. That is inherent in me, not an attribute I get from the place of my consumerism.

You've heard about not judging a book by it's cover? How about not judging a store by it's exterior? Is this some weird form of elitism?

I'm not sure how in the world you think Costco replaces civil traditions? It's a store, not a religion or cult. What civil traditions do you think it has replaced?

I've read your posts before, and it you seem lonely, and feel consumerism and the like has taken people from you, or something along those lines.

You attribute way to much to what most of us view as picking up milk and bread.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-15-2020, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Wow. lol

Nothing about where I shop represents my level of sophistication. That is inherent in me, not an attribute I get from the place of my consumerism.

You've heard about not judging a book by it's cover? How about not judging a store by it's exterior? Is this some weird form of elitism?

I'm not sure how in the world you think Costco replaces civil traditions? It's a store, not a religion or cult. What civil traditions do you think it has replaced?

I've read your posts before, and it you seem lonely, and feel consumerism and the like has taken people from you, or something along those lines.

You attribute way to much to what most of us view as picking up milk and bread.
I don't need to be psychoanalyzed.

But you can see it here yourself, people bonding over their knowledge of Costco; it is a primary example of the homogenization of consumption turning itself into a cultural center for people to define traditions and values.

And what is that? The beast of practicality, where it is best to herd people through a depressing grey box on the side of the road so they can maximize their economic value.

Old 04-15-2020, 03:40 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Its more about what it represents than anything else.

It is a road side warehouse filled with grey textures, packaged goods for middle income families, all tied to a credit based subscription fee.

Its cheap, but is that a good thing?

It is apparent that so many people like Costco, and have difficulty criticizing. But just because you embrace something doesn't mean you can't abhor it as well.

Costco overreaches in trying to replace civil traditions with a family of consumers. I have seen how everyone loves it despite the lack of sophistication. There are more important things than herding together people in a practical manner.

I have not stepped foot in one, but I drove past one and it epitomizes the strip mall culture that feeds on the financial burdened.

It is mass media at its worse, giving people across the country a homogeneous shopping experience that they share with one another. Case in point how much everyone here already knows about all the Costco schemes, as if it was some community gathering.
I think the fact that you have not even set foot in a Costco doesn't give you much to stand on, in terms of such harsh criticism. You drove past one (once?) and therefore you know all about it and what it "represents"?

And no, not everyone can afford to buy premium products in small quantities from specialty retailers. Sorry, but that's a fact. I can buy amazing imported European cheese at the farmer's market for $25 or $30 a pound, but doing that regularly is for the most privileged folks. If you're one of them, good for you. Don't look down on others for being less well off than you.

Old 04-15-2020, 03:52 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Walmart sells junk, Costco sells much better quality items

Old 04-15-2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I think the fact that you have not even set foot in a Costco doesn't give you much to stand on, in terms of such harsh criticism. You drove past one (once?) and therefore you know all about it and what it "represents"?

And no, not everyone can afford to buy premium products in small quantities from specialty retailers. Sorry, but that's a fact. I can buy amazing imported European cheese at the farmer's market for $25 or $30 a pound, but doing that regularly is for the most privileged folks. If you're one of them, good for you. Don't look down on others for being less well off than you.
Imported European cheese is a byproduct of consumer capitalism.

What I advocate for is balance, the think those herded through grey boxes to maximize economic output don't understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies