Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2020, 07:42 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,439,796 times

Advertisements

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/22/hook...-fanatics.html

Of course.

I use to think Costco was like a low end Walmart that middle class Americans would go to so they could buy a bunch of cheap junk.

But it was my surprise to learn Americans over all wage levels go there. This smart attractive girl I know goes to Costco with her friends, most of my family also go to Costco to my surprise, as well as a bunch of celebrities.

I was wondering why people were so obsessed with Costco then I realized it was the manifestation of modern day America. Inside a strip mall, subscription fees, easy credit spending, cheap goods from overseas and factory farms, promotes over-consumption, and acts as a social meeting ground for a bunch of people.

It is very sad to see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2020, 08:00 AM

956 posts, read 1,208,269 times
I like Costco for two reasons

1. The in house Kirkland brand is very high quality compared to Member's Mark (Sam's Club) and Wellsley Farms (BJs)
2. They sell tons and tons of organic foods unlike Bjs and Sam's Club

I have tried all three and by far Costco blows away Bjs and Sam's Club having higher quality products.

Old 04-15-2020, 08:10 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,255,259 times
Costco, BJ's only cater to peoples need to have stuff and buying in bulk at a reduced price you satisfy that need.

I don't think these stores are examples of what is wrong with America. They are warehouses that stock and sell all manner of items which would make most travelers from around the world gawk in amazement at the abundance of goods we have in America.

Personally I'm not a fan of these membership stores having never really taken advantage of their "deals". It might be the area that I live in that tends to be more expensive but I can get my bulk items at Walmart just fine.

I can see how Costco and BJ's would be great choices for couples with kids though.

Old 04-15-2020, 08:14 AM

30,398 posts, read 19,191,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/22/hook...-fanatics.html

Of course.

I use to think Costco was like a low end Walmart that middle class Americans would go to so they could buy a bunch of cheap junk.

But it was my surprise to learn Americans over all wage levels go there. This smart attractive girl I know goes to Costco with her friends, most of my family also go to Costco to my surprise, as well as a bunch of celebrities.

I was wondering why people were so obsessed with Costco then I realized it was the manifestation of modern day America. Inside a strip mall, subscription fees, easy credit spending, cheap goods from overseas and factory farms, promotes over-consumption, and acts as a social meeting ground for a bunch of people.

It is very sad to see.
Costco is awesome and a great American success story...if you don't like them, I advise you not to go there.

Old 04-15-2020, 08:23 AM

4,661 posts, read 1,955,928 times
please Costco is not for low/middle class shoppers. It is for any smart shopper. I know tons of high income earners who shop there because although they are high income, it is income they actually earned. And they value the dollars they have. Sure they may do some whole foods shopping for some items but no matter where you buy your paper goods or diapers they are all the same brand name and all the same quality. Only a fool(or someone who never really worked for their money) wastes money by shopping at places who sell the same crap for a 40% markup just because of the name on the building.

I also remember a few years ago reading a study that postulated one of the reasons poor people remain poor is that they cannot afford to shop at a place like Costco. They are forced to shop at local stores/walmarts because they cannot afford to shop in bulk. Which saves a considerable amount of money over time.

Old 04-15-2020, 08:30 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,183,132 times
Costco is one of the better options. As another poster mentioned, they offer more organic foods. That’s important for me as a vegetarian who prefers organic items. Other than that, I shop at local groceries that sell lots of organic local produce.

Personally, I don’t care what the income-levels of the shoppers are as long as I am finding the items that I need. One of my favorite stores was a immigrant-run grocery in a town where I previously lived. It had a number of options from my parent’s country and lots of other great food options. Most people who shopped there were lower middle class and perhaps poor. Not an issue for me.

Old 04-15-2020, 08:32 AM

989 posts, read 456,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post

What ever gave you that impression?

You pretty much need to have money to shop at Costco.

Old 04-15-2020, 08:35 AM

5,766 posts, read 11,384,460 times
As a single person household, I don't shop at Costco because most of their stuff comes in too large a quantity for me to consume in a reasonable time. I also don't like the big number of shoppers that have been going to their stores lately. Looks like Christmas shopping in Spring. That doesn't go along very well with the advice to avoid crowds, social distancing, etc.

However, don't take the above as bashing Costco. To the contrary, I think they are probably one of the smartest and best run retailers in the USA. They pay their employees well for the retail sector, and once hired, the typical employee stays with Costco for the long run. That creates a stable and secure workforce, and they also get better benefits than typical retail employees. Good health insurance coverage, paid sick days, paid time off. The upper management team stays connected to the stores by making frequent local store visits and talking to the people that work there. They don't just sit in the corporate HQ and send out directives.

Here is a great documentary from CNBC on Costco:

https://www.cnbc.com/the-costco-craz...rehouse-giant/

Old 04-15-2020, 08:39 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,867,274 times
Costco doesn't save you money, it is just as expensive as non-membership stores.. Do they have higher quality? Yes but it is really negligible... I like the return policy, that's about it..

Old 04-15-2020, 08:43 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,765,220 times
Ditto on their employment policies.

W*Mart treats their employees like ****, and you can pretty much tell that by the way many of those employees treat you.

Costco's regular annual membership is $60, and you can easily make that back and more if you just buy gasoline and prescriptions there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies