Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 10:36 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,877,686 times

Advertisements

Singapore will fine you a life changing amount of money for leaving your quarantine.

Testing is not particularly helpful for stopping the spread unless you have the tools to back it up. We might soon have testing everywhere - then that argument about not having it can just...go away.

When that doesn't help - then what? Jail time? That's what South Korea does. Ya want that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2020, 10:54 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Singapore will fine you a life changing amount of money for leaving your quarantine.

Testing is not particularly helpful for stopping the spread unless you have the tools to back it up. We might soon have testing everywhere - then that argument about not having it can just...go away.

When that doesn't help - then what? Jail time? That's what South Korea does. Ya want that?
yeah, all very valid questions.

Old 04-17-2020, 11:07 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
Wait, are you replying to me? I stood up for testing, just being smart about it but your reply seems to imply that I was an 'anti-tester' (like the person I was replying to). Or are you just backing up what I was saying, it's not entirely clear.

BTW, it is not true that more information is necessarily better. More 'meaningful' information is better, more information is just more information and can actually make it more difficult to get to insights as you have to then get past the noise.
I was talking about the anti-tester. Sorry if I tagged you. Yes....more meaningful testing for sure.

Old 04-17-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
"This is science, you have to be humble. The minute you become arrogant, you lose."

Wiser words were never spoken. That was a great video. Other countries like Singapore have a much better model for handling this. But hey, who needs science?
He also mentioned culture. The American culture is different. Many people will not make a sacrifice for the "common good". It has to be something that benefits them personally or they fear something impacting them personally. If their is a cost to them, without an offsetting benefit, they will not support it. This is why America is doomed to be surpassed in the future. We cannot work for the collective good or a collective direction suggested or imposed by the government.

Divided we fall and fail.

Old 04-17-2020, 11:15 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
He also mentioned culture. The American culture is different. Many people will not make a sacrifice for the "common good". It has to be something that benefits them personally or they fear something impacting them personally. If their is a cost to them, without an offsetting benefit, they will not support it. This is why America is doomed to be surpassed in the future. We cannot work for the collective good or a collective direction suggested or imposed by the government.

Divided we fall and fail.

The United States has been the most generous country in the world over the past decade.

That’s the conclusion of the World Giving Index, a ranking that measured how likely residents of 128 countries were to practice acts of generosity.

Make something else up.

Old 04-17-2020, 11:36 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I am with you there.

Don't know what makes this video such a best video, all information has been shared back in Feb I believe.
The video in the OP's link was posted on March 27. At that time the WHO and CDC were claiming people should not wear masks unless symptomatic.

I'm not a doctor or infectious disease expert. I was one of the mask/nose and mouth covering wearer looks like an idiot people who ignored WHO and CDC and instead relied on my life experience and common sense.

Last edited by jazzarama; 04-17-2020 at 11:50 AM.. Reason: added the words "unless symptomatic".

Old 04-17-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post

The United States has been the most generous country in the world over the past decade.

That’s the conclusion of the World Giving Index, a ranking that measured how likely residents of 128 countries were to practice acts of generosity.

Make something else up.
We have more to give than others. That does not contradict what I said, however. Americans are anti-collective. We don't want the government telling us what to do or what is best for us collectively.....or at least a good number of Americans do not. They will FIGHT to resist it.

Americans already HATE taxes. Taxes are transfer payments to promote the collective good of society and many Americans HATE THAT transfer. This is one of the reasons we don't have Universal Health Care....like nearly all industrialized nations. Not that it would have saved us from the virus.....but Americans are all about themselves.

Old 04-17-2020, 11:50 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
We have more to give than others. That does not contradict what I said, however. Americans are anti-collective. We don't want the government telling us what to do or what is best for us collectively.....or at least a good number of Americans do not. They will FIGHT to resist it.

Americans already HATE taxes. Taxes are transfer payments to promote the collective good of society and many Americans HATE THAT transfer. This is one of the reasons we don't have Universal Health Care....like nearly all industrialized nations. Not that it would have saved us from the virus.....but Americans are all about themselves.
In all fairness, nobody in the world loves to be told what to do. Some people live in certain countries have no choice.

Freedom is never free, many people take our freedom for granted. Freedom and responsibility = package deal.

Living in a relatively free country like the U.S. has many benefits, but when it comes to pandemic like this, countries like China tend to do better, well, relatively speaking.

Old 04-17-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
In all fairness, nobody in the world loves to be told what to do. Some people live in certain countries have no choice.

Freedom is never free, many people take our freedom for granted. Freedom and responsibility = package deal.

Living in a relatively free country like the U.S. has many benefits, but when it comes to pandemic like this, countries like China tend to do better, well, relatively speaking.
You have to exist in the moderate realm between individual freedom and the collective good. That is the path to long term sustainability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies