Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the US bailout Illinois' Pensions
Yes - everyone will get bailed out! 13 9.56%
No - force states to be responsible! 123 90.44%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 10:27 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,525,746 times

Advertisements

They should have never been allowed to get so far in the hole.

Pensions are a promise to be funded. The state, quasi-state and county agencies should all be SOT this time.

Let'em sink. Hold the politicians responsible personally for being so bad at their jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2020, 01:38 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,897,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
They should have never been allowed to get so far in the hole.

Pensions are a promise to be funded. The state, quasi-state and county agencies should all be SOT this time.

Let'em sink. Hold the politicians responsible personally for being so bad at their jobs.
Agreed. 40 billion with a B. How does it get that far out of control? The answer is easy.. Spending other peoples money is easy and when you have an unlimited credit card it's even easier to spend like there is no limit.

Old 04-22-2020, 12:01 PM

25,909 posts, read 12,935,480 times
Time to re-open this thread, & perhaps widen it to include ALL city, county, & State gov't pension funds.

The Dems are asking for $1T to bail out local pension funds everywhere in C-19 phase 4 stimulus now in negotiations.

Time to write you Congressperson, and Senators...today.

Old 04-22-2020, 12:43 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,202,765 times
Quote:
Pensions are a promise to be funded.

That assumes the underlying financial scheme was viable from the start.

Old 04-22-2020, 01:39 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,820,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Time to re-open this thread, & perhaps widen it to include ALL city, county, & State gov't pension funds.

The Dems are asking for $1T to bail out local pension funds everywhere in C-19 phase 4 stimulus now in negotiations.

Time to write you Congressperson, and Senators...today.
I think it was Moody’s who projected all state/ municipal public pension plans collectively lost $1 Trillion in the market downturn which began in February.

With the exception of Wisconsin, this impacts all states. Wisconsin is unique because it requires plan participants to share in loses when returns are below expectations.

Of course those states that were seriously underfunded at the beginning of the year, are is a worse situation, right now.

The majority of states have the ability to modify accrued benefits, should it be necessary. Illinois is one of 7 that does not.

The percent funded is a meaningless number unless one understands the unique to the state models used to determine funding.

The Pension Benefit Guarantee Corp ( PBGC) has temporarily modified funding requirements for private employer plans due to dismal ROI.

Old 04-22-2020, 01:59 PM

1,066 posts, read 631,644 times
They better not get a penny for pensions. It isn't our responsibility for their failing system. Let them figure it out.

Old 04-22-2020, 02:13 PM

26,575 posts, read 15,140,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I think it was Moody’s who projected all state/ municipal public pension plans collectively lost $1 Trillion in the market downturn which began in February.
A) Most pensions were severely underfunded YEARS/DECADES before Covid-19.

B) Most of that $1 Trillion has been regained.

C) What is the lesson here, you can keep voting in incompetent politicians and union leaders to run a fairy-tale-land-math on the pensions, promising everyone a free lunch and any pension properly run doesn't get bailed out?

Old 04-22-2020, 02:33 PM

21,981 posts, read 9,562,060 times
Quote:
Illinois has long been a state with mob influences in their politics and in their schools. Their pension programs never were viable vs. the investments made by the governmental agencies.

And I'm so sorry for the workers that were promised "pie in the sky" pensions they didn't earn or deserve.

My suggestion: liquidation and bankruptcy Let them take what's there and divide it up. And too bad so many of those in control are probably dead and gone--unaccountable to the employees. They've got to answer to a higher authority for what they've done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I've read the pensions are far too high in Illinois.

Terrible situation to be in. A declining population state. A greying state. A ballooning pension and a ballooning deficit.

I think folks are going to have to take huge pension cuts. Bankruptcy may loom for the state. It is what it is, sadly.
Don't bet on it. Mitch McConnell has indicated states can file bankruptcy and they just asked JB about it and he said no. I am guessing they would have to cut pensions so that's why.

Quote:
I agree,the 1st to flee can typically sell their homes for a decent selling price, but after the flight becomes common knowlege the prices begin to fall. You don't want to be late in getting out of there.
That ship has sailed.

Quote:
Contracts can be broken/altered. When the payments can no longer be made, something will have to give. Everyone will lose some skin, pensioners, and taxpayers alike. If I were a State of Illinois pensioner, I'd be planning to take some kind of hit at some time in the next 1-3 years.
Again, don't bet on it. Pensions get paid first. The ones who suffer are the social programs and school obligations which the state has been reneging on for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Hyperbole much?

A 100% loss on property? I don’t think so.

California has the highest progressive income tax rates in the US. The property values in desirable areas have certainly not declined.

Our neighbor to the north, Wisconsin, is in the top ten in terms of progressive income taxes. Illinois is in the bottom ten.

As a resident of Illinois, I am opposed to a Federal bailout of state/ local pensions.

Most state/ local retirees do not have 6 figure annual pension benefits. The average benefit which includes the 6 figure outliers is in the $50,000/ year range.
What you don't mention though, is that Illinois has the total highest tax burden in the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
They should drastically raise the taxes on people in Chicago. I'd guess a 20% tax across the board would pit a big dent in it.
They raised the state tax 66-100% in 2017. 100% on higher earners by removing property tax deductions on earners over $500k. I would bet 99.9% of Illinoisans don't even know that. Now they are going to raise them another 70ish percent so I am sure you thought 20% was crazy high but that's not even close. They said in order to cover all JB's spending, they would have to raise the highest bracket to over 13%, on par with California. What's different is that if you hit $1M, you pay the highest proposed rate on ALL the income, no marginal brackets there. The current proposed rate is just under 8%. Those high rates might fly in sunny California, where there are beaches and lovely mountains. Not sure people who don't have to stay will.

Old 04-22-2020, 03:46 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,820,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
A) Most pensions were severely underfunded YEARS/DECADES before Covid-19.

B) Most of that $1 Trillion has been regained.

C) What is the lesson here, you can keep voting in incompetent politicians and union leaders to run a fairy-tale-land-math on the pensions, promising everyone a free lunch and any pension properly run doesn't get bailed out?
McConnell today said he would be open to considering allowing states to file bankruptcy.

The current Federal bankruptcy code allows cities, school districts and local governments to file bankruptcy and renegotiate debt. It does not allow states to do so. If Congress were to change the code and POTUS, debtors would likely file objections based on the contract clause/ Article 10 and land in the lap of the SCOTUS.

The language within the Illinois state constitution may be strong enough to survive a state bankruptcy- that is accrued public benefits are guaranteed.

This is one of the best summaries of the state pension crisis.

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/the-e...ension-crisis/

As of right now, the only solution is a drastic cut in costs and higher taxes- not exactly a winning platform in an election.

Old 04-22-2020, 04:02 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,076,848 times
Maybe the better debate is who is to ask who is current government pensioner, or is in a pension system for public employees? Identify yourself with your comment.

Me, private sector entire career, including self-employment. Had a pension go puff around 2001. The way it rolls in life. I didn't spend too much time thinking about it, or looking backwards. Way I'm made. I pity those who cannot overcome life's setbacks. Or, at least make a strong effort.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies