Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 12:08 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,474,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
You nailed it.

It has always been about the very real possibility of overwhelming hospitals and acute care/ ICUs within hospitals.
It continues to surprise me how many don't understand or don't want to understand the reason we in medicine decided to take this course.

And I'll bet as we unwind in agreement with ever changing medical recommendations, that many will fail to understand or appreciate the learning process that we all are undergoing as we move ahead on this virus's timeline in our country. Maybe we'll soon be hearing a bunch of 'I told you so's!' from that same crowd?

And for that I actually hope so!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2020, 12:09 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
This comes directly from inconsistent messaging from this administrtion.

One breath measured guidelines and another tweets celebrating 'liberation'.

Bad management of a crisis from the feds.
Consistently inconsistent.

Old 04-21-2020, 12:19 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
When will it sink in to people that trotting out 'positive cases' stats is MEANINGLESS without an indication of HOW MANY tests were administered and WHO they were administered to. There is a HUGE difference between the number of positives going up by 273 if you've administered the same number of tests as before vs if you doubled the number of tests and saw that same number vs if you increased the number of tests and didn't just focus on those who were suspected. That number by itself is just a number, stop treating it like it actually means something without any other context.
You get it. There are many more than just the tested ones. This is an insidious, highly contagious SARS virus with 20% of the lucky population asymptomatic carriers. What we will not know for perhaps a decade is whether it can lie dormant in your body and re-emerge like chicken pox can and cause painful shingles. What damage can Covid do if it lies dormant for years? Novel means new, and with that is a lot of unknowns. I dreaded RSV season in the hospital. I caught it more than once and that was with wearing a mask. Can you be infected with Covid more than once? We simply don't know. Best not to catch it to begin with.

Old 04-21-2020, 12:46 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
These LEFTISTS want to extend this shutdown and economic collapse as long as possible to make Americans suffer and to get Trump out of office. They WANT pain and suffering! Such compassion, huh? It is not about people getting sick it is about destroying the country as much as possible.
The quarantine was imposed in order to reduce the number of cases of coronavirus. Coronavirus causes pain and suffering and even death. So continuing the quarantine until we have a better handle on how to stop the spread, how to treat, and even determining how many people have actually had this virus (because the testing has been VERY limited) is actually about reducing the pain and suffering. Your assertion, therefore, is not logical or even sensible.

Old 04-21-2020, 01:12 PM

18,802 posts, read 8,474,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
You get it. There are many more than just the tested ones. This is an insidious, highly contagious SARS virus with 20% of the lucky population asymptomatic carriers. What we will not know for perhaps a decade is whether it can lie dormant in your body and re-emerge like chicken pox can and cause painful shingles. What damage can Covid do if it lies dormant for years? Novel means new, and with that is a lot of unknowns. I dreaded RSV season in the hospital. I caught it more than once and that was with wearing a mask. Can you be infected with Covid more than once? We simply don't know. Best not to catch it to begin with.
More reports of it being possible. I may have had it twice, Feb and March based on my experiences.
My swab was neg, but that was after I recovered the 2nd time. Thursday I get tested for antibodies.

Old 04-21-2020, 01:21 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The quarantine was imposed in order to reduce the number of cases of coronavirus. Coronavirus causes pain and suffering and even death. So continuing the quarantine until we have a better handle on how to stop the spread, how to treat, and even determining how many people have actually had this virus (because the testing has been VERY limited) is actually about reducing the pain and suffering. Your assertion, therefore, is not logical or even sensible.
That's not what we were told when it went into effect, and I have still not seen anything to the opposite. The original claim was that the quarantine would "flatten the curve" so we didn't overwhelm the health care system. The area under the curve was the same-meaning the same number would still die, just with less of a peak and over a longer period of time.

Old 04-21-2020, 01:23 PM

936 posts, read 824,184 times
They have no choice. If those meth houses and moonshine stills don't reopen Kentucky's economy will be devastated.

Old 04-21-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Lots of states are on an upwards climb, and Kentucky isn't doing too bad actually. Looking at the numbers right now, I'm a lot more worried about Iowa. As I said, no particular rhyme or reason. Iowa is a pretty average state with a pretty average population, but they've added 482 cases today. I don't think Kentucky has reported in yet today, so we'll see.

There's your BS test. Compare it to Iowa. Nobody is talking about Iowa that I can see. Iowa is in the same ballpark as Kentucky for overall cases. Neither are right next to New York. They have very similar populations.

It doesn't matter if it's Fox News, Donald Trump or Alex Jones. You can't presume that a Right-biased outlet is going to avoid chasing the sensationalist hype. Sensationalism is where all of the news media makes their money these days, so you can't rely on any media outlet to be objective or even sane. You have to look it up for yourself. When you look it up for yourself, you find that Iowa is spiking faster than Kentucky, but there's no smoking gun explanation for it. It just is.
Iowa has 1160 cases per million people, KY <700. Both pale into insignificance compared to NY at`13,000. Both are obviously doing something right in comparison.

Old 04-21-2020, 01:33 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
That's not what we were told when it went into effect, and I have still not seen anything to the opposite. The original claim was that the quarantine would "flatten the curve" so we didn't overwhelm the health care system. The area under the curve was the same-meaning the same number would still die, just with less of a peak and over a longer period of time.
How do you flatten a curve during a pandemic??? You REDUCE the number of cases. That's why it reduces the burden on hospitals.

Old 04-21-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
A handful of southern states intend to start reopening beginning this week. South Carolina, for example, is going to allow most retail stores to open provided they do not allow more than 20% of capacity.

It remains uncertain which states will reopen schools, this semester.

While protests receive a lot of media attention, those engaged represent a minority of people.
Yep. It needs to happen somewhere so we can learn from it. It's a gamble either way. Opening up will likely cause some more covid cases, rather it's a lot or a little remains to be seen. Keeping locked down is (or has) destroyed the economy, likely left or will be leaving people homeless and bankrupt-which will lead to its own round of deaths. Glad to see SC is stepping up and being the guinea pig, we'll know a lot in a week or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies