Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 10:55 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,932,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
He did not have a "history" of cancer.

He had cancer briefly 32 years ago, had surgery, end of story.

After that, he had children and ran his family construction business, so it's not like he spent the last 32 years on Social Security Disability drinking beer all day and watching Gunsmoke re-runs.

For the record, the median age of death in Ohio is 51 years from COVID-19.

For those who might be confused, median and mean -- average -- are not the same thing.

The median age is the most common age of death, meaning if you had a graph, more people at age 51 die than any other age.

As I mentioned before, 73.1% of COVID-19 people are between age 18-64, not age 75-100.
Not to dispute your point, but for the sake of accuracy: the median is the midpoint of the distribution. If the median age is 51, that means half the victims are younger than 51 and half are older. The most common age of death would be called the mode, not necessarily the same as the median. The median is often more useful than the mean because it is not impacted by extreme values on either end.

Old 04-21-2020, 10:58 AM

15,863 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
So you suppose having cancer had nothing to do with it?

Yes, I do actually. He had cancer that required surgery when he was 28/29 years old - that tells me it was probably either testicular or thyroid cancer. Both are very common among young people and very curable with surgery. Testicular cancer in particular would leave him with very little long lasting health concerns, besides missing a testicle.

This is also why the "preexisting condition" thing is tricky. Most Americans have some form of a preexisting condition. With regard to coronavirus, it's being used to justify away concern as if those of us who are cancer survivors, have asthma, type I diabetes, etc. are just collateral damage.

Old 04-21-2020, 11:03 AM

19,636 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Yes, I do actually. He had cancer that required surgery when he was 28/29 years old - that tells me it was probably either testicular or thyroid cancer. Both are very common among young people and very curable with surgery. Testicular cancer in particular would leave him with very little long lasting health concerns, besides missing a testicle.

This is also why the "preexisting condition" thing is tricky. Most Americans have some form of a preexisting condition. With regard to coronavirus, it's being used to justify away concern as if those of us who are cancer survivors, have asthma, type I diabetes, etc. are just collateral damage.
It is a disturbing mindset. But probably based in fear - only "those" people get it bad, but I'm safe.
It's people "on their last legs". Right.

Old 04-21-2020, 11:11 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

Well you are speculating whereas I'm asking questions, looking for proof, details. I know that puts me in conflict with the denier got what he deserved narrative so many fearfully hold on to.

Old 04-21-2020, 11:13 AM

17,623 posts, read 6,911,503 times
Oh, look another thread where liberals are gloating over the deaths of people who disagree with them.

People are just disgusting.

Old 04-21-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Oh, look another thread where liberals are gloating over the deaths of people who disagree with them.

Indeed.

Old 04-21-2020, 11:19 AM

2,071 posts, read 2,210,287 times
I don’t live in Ohio, and do not know the situation in his part off Ohio where he lived. But just because he died it does not contradict what he said. Some people, myself included, would rather take a small risk than have their civil liberties infringed. He just rolled snake eyes.

Old 04-21-2020, 11:21 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Quote:

Agree. Yesterday one of them posted that she hoped people protesting lockdown orders get the virus and die a gruesome death. They are indeed just awful.

Old 04-21-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post
I don’t live in Ohio, and do not know the situation in his part off Ohio where he lived. But just because he died it does not contradict what he said. Some people, myself included, would rather take a small risk than have their civil liberties infringed. He just rolled snake eyes.
Yeah that point has been lost. No matter anyones view on the virus, much of the response to it has been illegal and a violation of the rights we are all born with.

Old 04-21-2020, 11:27 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:

Not gloating. My son had to fight for his life to survive this. I don't wish it on anyone. But you and others here are advocating a scenario where there will be many more just like him, and they may not be as lucky as he was, all because of people's selfish need to go to the beach or out to eat outweighs the health and safety of everyone else.

That is what is disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies