Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2020, 09:54 AM

41,984 posts, read 75,252,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Do you know what government cheese is ?
There used to be stockpiles that at some point they started giving to refugees and I guess food stamps recipients because of exp dates.
At the risk of going off-topic, surplus food commodities - including 'government cheese' - still exist, and are distributed to regional food banks and to low-income seniors.

Last edited by Ohiogirl81; 04-22-2020 at 10:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2020, 10:07 AM

26,797 posts, read 22,584,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
We moved the production to another country - great point !
Do you know what government cheese is ?
There used to be stockpiles that at some point they started giving to refugees and I guess food stamps recipients because of exp dates.

There "used to" - when exactly?
What refugees" they were giving them to? How many?

Same question goes to "food stamps recipients"?
Who? Where? How many?
Rumors are rumors, facts are facts.

Not one and the same thing, you know.

Quote:
It was great cheese but they had it. There are caves full of stuff or used to be - there are warehouses the govt owns or rents - with all kinds of shyte. Trust me - if they would have paid attention even to the last dry run - 2019 the crimson contagion - they would have been much better prepared.
Again - what kind of shyte?
There might be gas masks, but that's not what the doctors/nurses need to wear in hospitals.

So as I've said - even if "they would have paid attention" - there was not much they could do under the circumstances.

No one.

Republicans or Democrats alike.

Old 04-22-2020, 10:24 AM

35,736 posts, read 21,087,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
There "used to" - when exactly?
What refugees" they were giving them to? How many?

Same question goes to "food stamps recipients"?
Who? Where? How many?
Rumors are rumors, facts are facts.

Not one and the same thing, you know.

Again - what kind of shyte?
There might be gas masks, but that's not what the doctors/nurses need to wear in hospitals.

So as I've said - even if "they would have paid attention" - there was not much they could do under the circumstances.

No one.

Republicans or Democrats alike.
I can only tell you of what I saw- I remember the Cuban refugees received the government cheese, 1960's (with my own eyes). I remember seeing a documentary of stockpiles of all sorts of things/ dry food etc in huge caves. If they stopped doing that, I have NO clue, but they can and have done it.
All I am saying if they follow any preparedness protocols,,, these things get stocked piled by the government. Look at Katrina- all those tiny mobile homes,,, FEMA brought out- GSA had hundreds of items - ready to roll. Any military compound has all kinds of stuff in case of war- yes?
If there was a Pandemic Exercise, in 2019 -you would think they had prepared for it.
The government buys millions of equipment -even PPE every year depending on what they want. Its not about after the fact- its about the preparedness.

Old 04-22-2020, 10:29 AM

20,153 posts, read 9,043,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
That's great, but we still don't know if there is any immunity once you have had it, nor do we know how long that immunity will last. It could be a one and done deal, or immunity could last a couple of weeks or a couple of months.
Dems answer to that is daily testing of everyone....forever.

Old 04-22-2020, 10:44 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,420,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
We need to let Herd Immunity deal with this. A few more deaths right now, but in the long run less. Gotta let the antibodies build up in society naturally.
There is so far zero evidence of herd immunity with this. Not everything gets herd immunity...Right now they are still wondering about reinfection rates and if there is really reinfections or not.

Old 04-22-2020, 10:47 AM

14,959 posts, read 12,170,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
We need to let Herd Immunity deal with this. A few more deaths right now, but in the long run less. Gotta let the antibodies build up in society naturally.
Not sure how that is supposed to happen with all this isolation and "social distancing".

Old 04-22-2020, 11:33 AM

24,428 posts, read 23,088,846 times
By and large, we put sociopaths into the highest government offices. Both parties are guilty of this, probably the dems more so since republicans are a little more discriminating and if they elect somebody that person will have to hide their true nature.
But sociopaths are users of people and don't care about them. So how is it that they'd care about the people when their health and welfare is at risk? Answer: They won't, unless it helps them looking like they do.
So any and all health and welfare agencies should be independent of government and political parties.

Old 04-22-2020, 12:34 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,183,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I just feel like the whole Coronavirus thing has been handled badly from the start. As for who to blame, it has to be the medical providers... who really should have known better. Any politician would have to take what they recommended.
Liberals, actually.

The only way to stop a pandemic of external origin is to close the borders. Period.

Leaving the borders open and allowing 9.5 Million arrivals per month is like pouring gasoline on a fire and then whining because the fire is still burning and you can't put it out.

Some whine that the "pandemic team" was eliminated. Well, other than wringing their hands and giving nice speeches on television, what exactly were they going to do?

Nothing.

Z-Day 9:00 AM Borders closed.

Z-Day 12:00 PM CDC has the database from immigration with the names and addresses of all 40 Million arrivals in the last 120 days.

Z-Day 5:00 PM CDC has sorted the database by State then by Zip Code and chunked up the data to email csv.text files to the cabinet level health departments of all 50 States.

Z-Day 9:00 PM State health departments have sorted the data by county and eliminated the duplicates. Yes, duplicates. I said 40 Million arrivals, not 40 Million people, because some people arrive 16x within 120 days because their job requires them to travel to a foreign country every week, and others 2-3 times a month and others once a month. The States then email the lists of names to all the counties, parishes and boroughs in their State.

Z-Day+1 County health boards enlisting the aid of city health departments within the county, conduct a standard epidemiology interview by telephone with all of the persons who arrived from overseas living in their county, starting with the most recent arrivals.

For any person not symptomatic over the last two weeks and no family members or friends symptomatic, advise them to sanitize their home, standard bleach and water mixture -- Spray! Spray! Spray! -- and sanitize their work-space. If employed, a follow-up call the the HR department to identify potential carriers.

For any person or family member or friend that is/was symptomatic, go to the home, test, sanitize, quarantine and follow-up with the employer(s) to sanitize work-space and identify potential carriers.

Z-Day+14 It's over. Now all you have to do is keep the borders closed until it blows over in the rest of the world.

If that's too harsh, you do have Army National Guard units, right?

Activate a battalion headquarters and headquarters company, a medical company, a military police company and an engineer company. Send them to the international airport (not all States have one) and quarantine arrivals in situ.

No fever, no symptoms, you spend the next 2 weeks in Tent #1. Fever or symptoms or tests positive, you spend the next 2 weeks in Tent #2.

Yeah, the Army has lots of different tents of lots of different sizes and cots and food service to boot.

Maybe volunteer organizations can donate playing cards or a TV to pass the time.

The funny thing is, once people know they'll be quarantined 2 weeks on the tarmac, they're not going to want to come to the US, and those that travel related to work are not going to want to leave if they know they'll be quarantined for 2 weeks on return.

So, without speaking a word, you have for the most part closed the borders without actually closing the borders.

And how much does it all cost?

Practically nothing. Government employees are on salary and they already have PPE, so all you pay is gasoline and the cost to purchase and ship test kits.

Calling out the National Guard would cost more, but still a helluva lot less than what it's costing you now.

That's how you do it. You cannot stop a pandemic by allowing carriers of a disease to continually enter your country at will and run amok infecting other people, who infect even more people, who infect even more people.

Old 04-22-2020, 12:37 PM

30,189 posts, read 11,827,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Hindsight is 20:20. Getting things right when your information is limited or potentially false is very difficult. Mistakes were made and will continue to be made. All people can do is their best given the circumstances. Being an arse probably isn't doing your best.

Well there were experts who have spent their lives studying pandemic response and got this wrong. I don't think just saying they did their best is good enough. I don't accept that.

I agree with the above that letting public transpiration continue is a huge mistake. We are giving out helicopter money to corporations with small business funds but we could not come up with taxi vouchers for people who take the bus or subway?

Old 04-22-2020, 02:12 PM

37,149 posts, read 42,245,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Well there were experts who have spent their lives studying pandemic response and got this wrong. I don't think just saying they did their best is good enough. I don't accept that.

I agree with the above that letting public transpiration continue is a huge mistake. We are giving out helicopter money to corporations with small business funds but we could not come up with taxi vouchers for people who take the bus or subway?
It's better for society that people are going out and being exposed, that's where the herd immunity comes into play. At some point even MORE people need to go out and be exposed and that's the plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies