Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2020, 11:53 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
10-15 years from now blah blah blah.
Poor little Millennials. Sorry, but Annie Lowrey couldn't find her vagina with both hands even with her OB-GYN helping her.

Are you going to get a job in June 1970?

No, because you're in the middle of a freaking recession.

That recession ends in November 1970.

Recovery? What recovery? Exactly 3 years later, you're right back into another recession, this one lasting 16 months or just two months shy of the "Great Recession" (snicker).

And recovery? What recovery? You're plagued by high Monetary and Demand-pull Inflation in excess of 10% per year and high interest rates.

Less than 5 years later, you're right back into another recession.

And recovery? Are you kidding?

One year later you're right back into another recession, this one lasting 16 months or just two months shy of the "Great Recession" (snicker).

And, what recovery?

Is that what Millennials have gone through?

Because anyone who thinks they have doesn't need a good psychiatrist, they need a team of really good psychiatrists.

Millennials had 11 years to get their act together. If they failed it's because they suck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2020, 11:54 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Well, that's unnecessarily condescending. I know plenty of people who are gainfully employed in creative fields. Not everyone is meant to be an accountant, engineer, or oilfield worker. And thank God for that, or the world would be a dull place -- even without CV19.

I'm a software dev myself, and I see first-hand that some people are more inclined to tech than others. I tried art as a hobby, and let's just say, I have a lot more respect for my cousin now, who's in animation. Not only is art not easy, it's a gift not everyone has at all.
Condescending; that's what I'm talking about grow up the real world is not going to worry about your personal growth and self discovery. I never said everyone must be in a traditional skill what I said was they have to have "marketable skills". If you ask any Graphic Art Teacher they will tell you that if all you can draw is anime then no one will hire you.

You yourself have marketable skills as you are gainfully employed but how many are out there with Masters Degrees in whatever that can't find work. If you are going to invest (over invest) in higher education and there is no employment potential for it then why waste your money...

Old 04-22-2020, 12:56 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,924,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...n-annie-lowrey

and the Trump coronavirus economic collapse

I hope it's engraved on his memorial plaque:

"The single worst president in American history. The only president who within a 3-month span was impeached AND caused the worst national epidemic and financial crisis our country has ever faced resulting in the loss of tens of thousands of America lives"

A fitting legacy.

Last edited by thrillobyte; 04-22-2020 at 02:03 PM..

Old 04-22-2020, 05:35 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,393,510 times
What a bunch of ****ing stupidity. This assumes that everyone from each generation has the exact same experiences.

Old 04-22-2020, 06:21 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I hope it's engraved on his memorial plaque:

"The single worst president in American history. The only president who within a 3-month span was impeached AND caused the worst national epidemic and financial crisis our country has ever faced resulting in the loss of tens of thousands of America lives"

A fitting legacy.
WHat are you going to do when he gets re-elected.....

Old 04-22-2020, 06:23 PM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Of course the economic potential of millennials isn't gone forever. If anything, it's more promising than ever, as it is for my kids' Generation Z. Yes, they've experienced a couple of setbacks, as most generations do (including my own: GenX), but they'll bounce back.

Enough with the doom and gloom. Gosh, we haven't been through a world war. Our cities and homes haven't been destroyed by bombs. We're fine, people. Are we so delicate as a society that we've lost resilience to deal with any hardship?
^^^^^This. Wake up, get up and get back to work!

Old 04-22-2020, 07:39 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAnizzle View Post
You're going to have a crappy life no matter who gets elected president.
I had a tarot reading done when I was 24 and the person told me that exact thing. He barely knew anything about me. I didn’t want to believe it at the time but now I know its true.

Old 04-22-2020, 07:39 PM

19,779 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Well, you're under the misguided assumption that most businesses are giants like Amazon who pays zero taxes. For every Tom Cruise who makes tens of millions per film, there are tens of thousands of no name actors trying to land a minimum wage job. In much the same way, there are stumbling blocks set up everywhere for startups.

We are now in the clear. But it doesn't negate the fact that we had to jump thru all kinds of firey hoops to get here.

If you think the system favors startups, then explain why the stimulus only allotted just enough money to help 3% of small businesses even though small businesses employ 60% of the workforce? That money ran out within a day.

It is fashionable for everyone to say good things about small businesses. But small business owners can't even apply for unemployment.
Not true. It took about 9-10 days to deplete the fund.

Montana banks did 13,500 PPP loans, most of them smaller amounts than other states- so the money indeed went to mainly small businesses.

And some business owners can file unemployment. It depends on how they classify themselves. If you W-2 yourself- most states, especially under the circumstances, will allow those to apply. It all depends on the structure.

The rub is most small business owners don't want to pay the tax on W-2 wages.

Old 04-22-2020, 08:25 PM

19,779 posts, read 22,673,762 times
Economic crisis can breed opportunity, and I know several people that are searching for buying opportunities, especially highly leveraged and hemorrhaging small hotels.

Opportunity exists.

Old 04-22-2020, 08:48 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,116,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Economic crisis can breed opportunity, and I know several people that are searching for buying opportunities, especially highly leveraged and hemorrhaging small hotels.

Opportunity exists.
Oh, absolutely. Last week I gave 4 lowball offers to houses that were for sale. By lowball, I really mean I really really lowballed them. I also explained to them that with the way things are going, no one is buying because no one can get a mortgage right now. I offered them cash so we can close in a week. All 4 owners accepted. I closed on the first one this Friday. Will close the others next week.

I deal with single family homes. Love them. In the next few months, I plan on buying many more properties in similar ways.

If anything, if you are smart about this you can turn this thing into opportunities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies