Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2020, 02:23 PM

1,781 posts, read 956,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I’m just glad I’m not a doctor or nurse in Texas. Maybe they will show some backbone and go on strike when things get out of control a few weeks from now. After all, they will be the ones paying the price for the stupidity of the politicians.
Our hospital system is as prepared as it can be and our nurses and doctors are some of the best in the country. They know they have a job to do and will do it willingly and professionally. And you are just assuming things will get out of hand in a few weeks. What make you a expert?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2020, 02:24 PM

254 posts, read 146,014 times
This is great news, God bless Greg Abbott for not going along with the destructive left wing power grab agenda.

Old 04-26-2020, 02:27 PM

18,499 posts, read 9,170,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinaggie View Post
Our hospital system is as prepared as it can be and our nurses and doctors are some of the best in the country. They know they have a job to do and will do it willingly and professionally. And you are just assuming things will get out of hand in a few weeks. What make you a expert?
I’m no expert, but I do understand how viruses spread.

Old 04-26-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I’m no expert, but I do understand how viruses spread.
Well so do all of the State of Texas medical experts that are advising the Governor. I’ll trust them over you.

Old 04-26-2020, 03:06 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinaggie View Post
Well so do all of the State of Texas medical experts that are advising the Governor. I’ll trust them over you.
I’m guessing those experts aren’t all in agreement.

I think it will work out because Texans will act responsibly. We will find out. Common sense should not have to be mandated from above.

Old 04-26-2020, 04:04 PM

57,311 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Another lie, as you know very well. There WILL be a second wave, again, as you know very well. No guidelines that have been published anywhere are designed to stop that from happening.

Do you never tire of posting things that you know are blatantly untrue?
Yes there will a second wave at some point in the future but we sure don't need states bouncing back up because they opened well before we have a handle on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Because of political pressure and inaccurate forecasts saying our hospitals would be totally overwhelmed. Now we know that we can handle what comes and this virus is not as lethal as predicted, at least in this strain.

Question. Have you seen the lines of people trying to get food to feed their families? How can you deny that there are real costs that you probably aren’t paying to keep this thing going?

We were sold on the shutdown as a means of flattening the curve and our hospitals are not overwhelmed. We have achieved that goal. Now it’s time to cautiously open the economy back up and see what happens. This is the perfect time to do it as the weather is warming up and the new cases are flattening.

If you want to hunker down until a vaccine is made, no one is stopping you.
They were scientific forecasts, not politics. Maybe you "know" this is under control and not lethal but I haven't heard that from any of the experts. The primary focus was flattening but I don't see anyone knowledgeable claiming that's the only goal. We need to keep this manageable and react to sudden outbreaks and the best way not to do that is to just open things up particularly for a state like Texas that is next to last in testing. There is supposed to be a decrease in hospitalizations for the virus before they opened, I see nothing to indicate that is the case.

No one is saying we need to wait for a vaccine other than you.

Last edited by Goodnight; 04-26-2020 at 04:17 PM..

Old 04-26-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I’m guessing those experts aren’t all in agreement.

I think it will work out because Texans will act responsibly. We will find out. Common sense should not have to be mandated from above.
Experts are never in agreement! Too egotistical lol.

Old 04-26-2020, 04:16 PM

57,311 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
The whole point of the lockdown and quarantine was to flatten the curve to ensure hospitals were not overwhelmed, leading to unnecessary deaths. This is what all elected officials said. Now, several states have flattened the curve, and were not hit terribly hard by corona virus. Yet, when state officials plan on re-opening their economies, there is so much criticism, coming almost exclusively from Democrats. You even hear some say nothing should be re-opened until there is a vaccine. They moved the goal posts. I have to ask, why?
The guidelines for reopening states was developed by health experts and the CDC, and approved by Trump. Flattening the curve was first and foremost but no one is recommending reopening outside the guidelines because of a resurgence if people stop social distancing. Trump was critical of Georgia's plan to reopen.

Old 04-26-2020, 04:44 PM

558 posts, read 299,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
There was no shutdown for the Spanish Flu and truth be told, the United States was only lightly hit. The US death toll wasn't pretty: 670,000 died. Still, that's a lot better than much of Europe, India and China.

The trouble with the assumption is that we really didn't understand diseases very well until the mid-1990's. Covid-19 and AIDS are the only pandemics we've experienced since then. During the Spanish Flu of 1919, the Collera outbreaks of the 1820's, and everything going back about as far as you like, nobody knew quite what to do when a pandemic hit. Some would hide in fear. Some would not. It didn't tend to matter much.

I expect that Texas will be an interesting test case with opening up. I am a little worried about blue states. They've let it become a political dogma, so many will be the very slowest to open up and get back to normal. In all likelihood, we're already past the worst of it everywhere and will be past the worst everywhere by mid-May. Red states will get a disproportionate economic recovery if they open back up sooner. Blue states are going to seriously hurt themselves and many businesses might just relocate in desperation.
During the Spanish Flu epidemic there were local shutdowns all over the country. At different times and for different durations. You should read the history. It's not hard to find.

Texas is like its own country in many respects and at one time it was. It's huge and most of it is very sparsely populated but the urban areas are dense, although not like NYC, Boston or Philadelphia.

Texas also had the highest uninsured rate in the country and currently the second lowest testing rate. So it is impossible to tell how widespread the virus actually is.

A lot of people will be surprised when the shutdown is lifted and 3-4 weeks later the cases begin to spike. It is bound to happen, particularly in the urban areas.

Old 04-26-2020, 05:43 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownDweller View Post
During the Spanish Flu epidemic there were local shutdowns all over the country. At different times and for different durations. You should read the history. It's not hard to find.

Texas is like its own country in many respects and at one time it was. It's huge and most of it is very sparsely populated but the urban areas are dense, although not like NYC, Boston or Philadelphia.

Texas also had the highest uninsured rate in the country and currently the second lowest testing rate. So it is impossible to tell how widespread the virus actually is.

A lot of people will be surprised when the shutdown is lifted and 3-4 weeks later the cases begin to spike. It is bound to happen, particularly in the urban areas.

A lot depends on individual behavior. I know I am pretty safe at work and have my home environment under control. No one is in the house except the wife, her caretaker and myself. I think I can control my environment pretty well. I think it's important individuals do take responsibility for their own safety and those around them.

I know, from anecdoctal and March statistics, restaurant business was down considerably before government shutdowns. People are not going back to normal. The nutcases who think this is just the flu and it's a worldwide hoax just to get Trump defeated are grossly overly represented on this forum.

I've seen remarkable changes in behavior. I've only heard one cough when out in the last three weeks. Hopefully people don't need the heavy hand of government to act responsibly.

Most of us Houstonians have our own vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies