Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2020, 06:00 PM

8,174 posts, read 3,696,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Give it till after Memorial day. At that point, I totally agree. It will be interesting and there is almost certainly going to be an increase in the number of cases. That is OK though, as the "Flattening the curve" strategy was never designed to stop the disease from spreading, only to slow it down enough to give the hospitals the ability to handle the load of sick people better.
The strategy that "flattens the curve" also decreased the grand total for both number of infected and number of deaths. How many times do I need to repeat this, it's just the math.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2020, 06:02 PM

24,681 posts, read 9,499,679 times
Well done Texas governor, good to see folks with some common sense out there.

Old 04-26-2020, 07:10 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,535,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
The strategy that "flattens the curve" also decreased the grand total for both number of infected and number of deaths. How many times do I need to repeat this, it's just the math.
As many times as you want to be wrong. That is how many times you should repeat it.

Old 04-26-2020, 07:35 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,575,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Does anyone really trust the numbers coming out of Texas? They consistently have been at or near the bottom of testing, currently sitting at 47th out of 50 states. Only 0.9% of the population has been tested. Texas has rural counties with no doctor and closed rural hospitals.

Texas has had a long-standing problem with inaccurate and incomplete death certificates prior to COVID-19.

The case numbers and death stats coming out of Texas are likely under-reported in a significant way, which means their governor is making his reopening decisions based on incomplete data that hides the true severity of the pandemic there.

Deleted. Answered my own question.

Old 04-26-2020, 07:52 PM

21,486 posts, read 10,598,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
No, I’m going out but I’m not stupid enough to swap tongues with Covid sufferers just to help build herd immunity.

Are you?
Of course not. I have no plans to swap tongues with someone I haven’t already been with this whole time lol. But I do hope we can get back to some semblance of normal even if we have to all be wearing damn masks in 90+ degree weather.

I see a lot of people suffering out there. It’s time.

Last edited by katygirl68; 04-26-2020 at 08:20 PM..

Old 04-26-2020, 08:15 PM

21,486 posts, read 10,598,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownDweller View Post
During the Spanish Flu epidemic there were local shutdowns all over the country. At different times and for different durations. You should read the history. It's not hard to find.

Texas is like its own country in many respects and at one time it was. It's huge and most of it is very sparsely populated but the urban areas are dense, although not like NYC, Boston or Philadelphia.

Texas also had the highest uninsured rate in the country and currently the second lowest testing rate. So it is impossible to tell how widespread the virus actually is.

A lot of people will be surprised when the shutdown is lifted and 3-4 weeks later the cases begin to spike. It is bound to happen, particularly in the urban areas.
We’ve been stuck at home for the most part since mid-March, unless we had to go to the store or have family that work at the store or some other essential business. One would assume that even if people aren’t getting as many tests we’d still recognize if there was a huge influx of people in emergency rooms and morgues were this thing a big problem. If it is problem that people weren’t getting tested but rode it out at home then we will be more on our way to herd immunity. Testing was pretty good here in Harris County (Houston) and in Dallas County (Dallas), Travis (Austin) and Bexar County (San Antonio), but some of the other counties weren’t as good. They are small enough to recognize if a lot of people suddenly need hospitalization or die, so I think it’s safe to assume we will be alright.

Old 04-26-2020, 08:25 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,695,011 times
Quote:
Governor Abbott: 'Massive' amount of business reopening in Texas
Most States are targeting April 30 for partial re-open, and some could reopen fully. In Florida I expect most places re-open but Miami-Ft Lauderdale might stay closed due to high number of infections.

Of course when businesses reopen, the employees will be expected to show up, or quit.

Old 04-26-2020, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I think we need to hear from Costello before praising Abbott so lavishly.
That was so funny, I forgot to laugh.

Old 04-27-2020, 01:34 PM

Governor Abbott, talking live:

Old 04-27-2020, 02:01 PM

Restaurants, retailers, malls and movie theaters will be allowed to reopen in Texas on Friday, May 1, limited to 25% capacity. Athletic activities are approved, as long as participation is not more than four people at a time (which is the usual number of golfers in a foursome). Barber shops and hair salons, and also gyms will remain closed until at least May 18.

Quote:
Texas restaurants, stores, malls, movie theaters can re-open May 1 at reduced capacity

Texas restaurants, retailers, malls and movie theaters will be allowed to re-open with restrictions beginning Friday. Gov. Greg Abbott announced Monday that those businesses will be allowed to operate at 25 percent capacity across the state starting May 1. Abbott said his new guidelines supercede any local orders.

The new guidelines are the biggest step yet to re-open parts of the Texas economy amid the coronavirus pandemic. Abbott also said non-contact sports/activities, like golf courses, will be allowed to resume operating, at reduced capacity.

“It’s time to set a new course,” Abbott said, calling the openings Phase 1. Phase 2 could come as early as May 18, Abbott said, saying state officials needed two weeks of data to ensure there was not a spike in cases.

Places like barber shops and salons were not included in the group of businesses that can re-open on Friday. Abbott's stay-at-home order will expire on April 30 and will not be extended.
If the reopening does not produce an unmanageable spike in new cases (there will be an increase in new coronavirus cases) then the capacity limitations will hopefully be raised to 50% on May 18 and hopefully hair salons will be able to be opened then as well.

The Texas Plan presented by Governor Abbott today was reviewed by Dr. Birx, who approved it and apparently even said it is a "Great" plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies