Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2020, 06:49 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Making unneeded attack threads just don't solve anything. More than likely, they only add to the problem.

Meanwhile, I do believe that the worst is already over. We must get back to some kind of normalcy.
Liberals are just getting more shrill and desperate as the virus "burns itself out". Deaths have been dropping steadily as we have been opening up, the virus is found not to transmit readily on surfaces, and asymptomatic carriers have been found NOT to be contagious. In short all the FUD (fear, uncertainty and despair) promoted by the MSM has been wrong. Virtually every prediction and dictate from government "experts" has been wrong. And governors embracing their newfound power and extending punitive lockdowns are wrong.

Those on the left are afraid to admit this. Liberals are scared of looking stupid. More important, they realize that the end of the virus without a vaccine will prove Trump right, and getting the lockdowns lifted and the economy restarted will give him a boost in the election. All while their candidate is afraid to come out of the basement.

Old 05-27-2020, 07:00 AM

4,025 posts, read 1,878,692 times
"Well, who knows anybody you came down with the virus, much less died from it? Not me."

I'm sincerely happy for you. I don't know where you are (is OK correct?) - but obviously, there are places in the country that are not like yours. Also - you would not know if anyone near you had it. Not everyone has symptoms. YOU might have it. We know several people with it - in the hospital right now. Our church has been praying for them for three weeks - no recovery yet, scary times for them. This also means we probably know several MORE people with it - no symptoms.

Our small-ish county here (~200K people) has nearly 200 deaths - that's 0.1% of our population. Not a covid death rate of 0.1%. Nope. An actual 0.1% of our town has died. It's not a joke here, or hoax. How you deal with it - open up, close up, whatever - not relevant to the info I just typed. Facts are facts - these people are sick, and many are dead. The idea that it's a tiny percent doesn't make it less painful for those families. But ya know what DOES make it more painful? People saying it didn't happen. Stop being a child. Try being a compassionate adult.

Old 05-27-2020, 07:05 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times
There are numerous confounding factors to determining which person gets the virus and of those who gets really sick. As the country begins to move around the basics still apply.

Avoid sick contacts especially if you are ill or have heart lung disease, diabetes are are immune compromised.

Practice excellent hygiene. When you return home from outside shopping etc. wash you clothing leaving shoes outside.

Use hand sanitizer and spray disinfectants on all purchases before you bring them into your home.

Disinfect your vehicle with wipes or sprays.

If you become ill contact your doctor. Monitor your breathing, temperature and symptoms
If you become short of breath call 911.

Old 05-27-2020, 07:11 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
Factually it is deadlier than the seasonal flu....the seasonal flu has a death rate of about 0.1% and COVID-19 is somewhere around 0.2%.

That said, only simpletons are still treating this like it's an ebola outbreak.
Exactly.

This is a true grim reaper and herd culler killing the weakest in the herd. It went thru a local old folks home like a lawnmower.

Old 05-27-2020, 07:19 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
Well, if Republicans are skeptical of Covid-19 lethality, then let the GOP convention proceed in Charlotte, NC, or whatever spot accepts the venue. Let the attendees assemble without social distancing, unmasked, with no temperature testing beforehand or any other testing, and see what the results are later. If few cases are reported afterwards, then everyone can feel vindicated. If the opposite occurs, then either some peoples' opinions will change, or a conspiracy theory will be put forth to explain the major outbreak among the attendees following the convention. It would be an interesting socio-political-medical experiment.

Old 05-27-2020, 07:26 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,654,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Well, if Republicans are skeptical of Covid-19 lethality, then let the GOP convention proceed in Charlotte, NC, or whatever spot accepts the venue. Let the attendees assemble without social distancing, unmasked, with no temperature testing beforehand or any other testing, and see what the results are later. If few cases are reported afterwards, then everyone can feel vindicated. If the opposite occurs, then either some peoples' opinions will change, or a conspiracy theory will be put forth to explain the major outbreak among the attendees following the convention. It would be an interesting socio-political-medical experiment.

Maybe all the gops need a Clorox injection as they enter the convention center? Or stick a flashlight where the sun dont shine? Amazing in 2020, they adopted the "flat earther" party platform. Good thing God keeps the sun orbiting the earth.

Old 05-27-2020, 07:27 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,559,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
The more people that actually get it, the more skepticism there will be. When the vast majority of symptomatic people end up with nothing more than incredibly mild symptoms, it's hard to get in line with the fearmongering. That's certainly been my experience. Before I got it, I was considerably more worried about it, but after seeing that it was just a 2 day mild illness for me and that it was fairly mild for my elderly parents who have multiple risk factors, it's hard to get all that worked up about it.

Again, we're talking about 0.2% lethality here.

Old 05-27-2020, 07:49 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,459,324 times
Republicans Still Skeptical of COVID-19 Lethality

They have to be.

It's called cognitive dissonance.

Old 05-27-2020, 07:57 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,459,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
There’s a reason the overly-religious are part of the Republican base.
I agree. There is a large proportion of creationists in the base. They have an influence on the rest.

Also a large number of people who regularly fall for conspiracy theories, on the flimsiest of arguments, because they want to, and a large number who fall for hoaxes and scams.

Witness the "chemtrails" and "Pizzagate" and "Operation Jade Helm 15" hoaxes, they fell for these fantasies in droves ... and that is only the tip of the iceberg. We could do a whole thread in right wing fantasies.

Getting all of these wackos together into one political movement is like a perfect storm. A toxic political cocktail.

Old 05-27-2020, 07:59 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Well, who knows anybody you came down with the virus, much less died from it? Not me.
If I recall correctly you've asked that on the forum before and my response has been yes to both. Male in his early 50's died of it that I knew...and no, he wasn't in a car accident or hit by a meteor and the autopsy from the death showed he had covid. He flat out died of covid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies