Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2020, 04:08 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,341,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Let's see. CDC reports cumulative hospitalization rate of 50 per 100k population for the period March 1 and May 2. On May 2, the country had 67k deaths and 1.16 mil confirmed cases. Now, the argument is "but the real number is much higher". Ok, from the NYC antibody (without any account for false positives and sample bias), the mortality rate is about 1%. In reality, it is most likely higher. But let's take 1% as a best case scenario, that would mean than on May 2 we actually had 6.7 mil cases (or 5.8 times more than the official number of cases). Ok, 6.7 mil cases represent only 2% of the US population. So to get to 70% we should expect a cumulative hospitalization rate of 50 x 35 = 1750 per 100k population. That amounts to a grand total of 5.8 mil. hospitalizations. So question to the "let's get it over with quickly" crowd : Over what time period do you propose these 5.8 mil hospitalizations to happen?

I'll wait.

P.S. Of course there is this other pesky issue: 330 mil x 0.7 x 0.01 = 2.3 million dead.

And again, that's taking the NYC antibody study at face value.
Math hurts.

Old 05-11-2020, 04:13 PM

48,531 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Let's see. CDC reports cumulative hospitalization rate of 50 per 100k population for the period March 1 and May 2. On May 2, the country had 67k deaths and 1.16 mil confirmed cases. Now, the argument is "but the real number is much higher". Ok, from the NYC antibody (without any account for false positives and sample bias), the mortality rate is about 1%. In reality, it is most likely higher. But let's take 1% as a best case scenario, that would mean than on May 2 we actually had 6.7 mil cases (or 5.8 times more than the official number of cases). Ok, 6.7 mil cases represent only 2% of the US population. So to get to 70% we should expect a cumulative hospitalization rate of 50 x 35 = 1750 per 100k population. That amounts to a grand total of 5.8 mil. hospitalizations. So question to the "let's get it over with quickly" crowd : Over what time period do you propose these 5.8 mil hospitalizations to happen?

I'll wait.

P.S. Of course there is this other pesky issue: 330 mil x 0.7 x 0.01 = 2.3 million dead.

And again, that's taking the NYC antibody study at face value.

Plus, if they happen over a few months, then your fatalities will actually increase further, because.... no room at the hospitals. No care, more fatalities.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-11-2020, 04:35 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,098,111 times
First we were told we had to shut down the country to “flatten the curve” so that hospitals were not overwhelmed by Coronavirus patients. Well when most hospitals were nowhere near overwhelmed, overflowed, and when they were actually laying off thousands of healthcare workers because there were no patients, they moved the goalposts and said we cannot have our freedom back until a vaccine was available to force on us or until the virus completely disappeared...Neither of which is likely to happen anytime soon though.

Old 05-11-2020, 04:42 PM

565 posts, read 282,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
I've gone out every day, gotten my coffee, hung out with my neighbors, showed clients homes, listing appointments, and never once contracted a virus. Actually I'm pretty sure my whole family had Covid back in late October/early November of last year, we all came down with fever and dry coughs and I'd never experienced those symptoms before in any other illness I've had. We were all coughing and sick for a few days and it went away quickly.

But that couldn't be because the media would have you believe this started in Jan 2020.
So...you flouted the social distancing recommended by the CDC to prevent covid-19 from spreading and overwhelming our healthcare system. Then you say that you never once contracted a virus and immediately contradict yourself by saying you were "pretty sure" you and your family had covid-19 months before the first cases in Wuhan but it wasn't that bad. Finally, you imply that the media is engaged in some sort of massive conspiracy. Thanks for sharing.

Old 05-11-2020, 04:44 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Dr. Birx does weighs in on this very topic of the reliability of the CDC numbers, saying there is 'Nothing from the CDC that I can trust'.

The Director for the CDC apparently agrees that they have problems with their data processing as well.

These numbers are crap and not reliable or trustworthy. Case closed.
It's easy to manipulate numbers .... for instance I read this today on The Texas Tribune (left wing)

Texas reports 39,869 cases and 1,088 deaths - May 11, 2020

There have been more than 300 deaths in care centers, though the state has not named the facilities in which those deaths occurred. In Texas, more than 40% of the state’s coronavirus deaths are linked to long-term care facilities, according to a Tribune analysis.

The key words are "over 300" and 40% of deaths.

Math must be too hard for the folks over at The Texas Tribune.

40% of 1,088 is 435 ..... so why say "over 300"? Over 300 is factually true, but over 400 is more accurate. They could have just as easily said "over 100" and would have been factually true.

The models are way off, the CDC says right on it's main Covid-19 page that they still count "presumed" cases. They report the testing positive as "new cases" and yet the tests often have a 15% incorrect rate.
Testing positive does NOT mean you are infected and sick - it means you have been exposed and may be a carrier. They don't tell us how many are sick, they don't tell us how many died of regular flu, cancer, heart attacks, old age or anything else ....They don't tell us how many of the Covid-19 deaths also had diabetes, immune deficiency, heart problems, cancer - all things that make you vulnerable.
Covid-19 gets assigned to almost everyone, doctor have been saying this on Youtube videos for months.

The Texas State Health department only lists Covid Positive numbers - the State of Texas has also just mandated that all "Nursing Homes" (which I think really means all Senior Living Facilities) have to have both Residents and Staff tested. They are testing facilities that have proven to be "hot spots" - like Meat Processing Plants. Nobody has been able to explain why prisoners literally "locked down" are so virus prone .... how did that happen? Somebody is tracking this China Virus into these places.

Quarantine the prisoners in place - why in the world would they turn them lose to spread the virus all over the place when they already had them "locked in".

The real problem with the protests is that Trust is Lost due to the Panic-Demic the Leftist Media pushes 24/7 and the models and predictions are so wrong and so over blown.

Old 05-11-2020, 04:48 PM

6,344 posts, read 2,898,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
What y'all keep effing ignoring is the possibility of better treatments, better health precautions and the possibility of a vaccine.
I'm not ignoring it, I'm being REALISTIC. Treatments for new viruses take at least a DECADE. Vaccines are the same. 5 YEARS is the fastest a vaccine has been developed.

Old 05-11-2020, 04:49 PM

8,151 posts, read 3,676,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Plus, if they happen over a few months, then your fatalities will actually increase further, because.... no room at the hospitals. No care, more fatalities.
Yep.

Old 05-11-2020, 05:04 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
well, hopefully we all know how to be cautious around the more vulnerable. If we stay 6ft away, how much does that help? If we wash and disinfect around the vulnerable, how much does that help?
Everything helps Bo. But if we are able to heavily limit the number of carriers it would help even more. And as you know I think I am also an RE Agent and have to do some things though I try very hard to make sure we do the minimal that gets the job done. We are working 8 or 9 deals at the moment and have managed to maintain minimal physical contact. Most of our clients appreciate our situation and are very accommodating.

Last edited by lvmensch; 05-11-2020 at 05:14 PM..

Old 05-11-2020, 05:09 PM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Fan 79 View Post
So...you flouted the social distancing recommended by the CDC to prevent covid-19 from spreading and overwhelming our healthcare system. Then you say that you never once contracted a virus and immediately contradict yourself by saying you were "pretty sure" you and your family had covid-19 months before the first cases in Wuhan but it wasn't that bad. Finally, you imply that the media is engaged in some sort of massive conspiracy. Thanks for sharing.
I read that post and wondered "Where to start?"

None of it made any more sense than listening to a drunk at an accident trying to explain how this all came to be.

Old 05-11-2020, 05:12 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,654,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
The thing is, it appears that those projections were wildly exaggerated and wrong. Spin away and try to act like these so-called "experts" were heroes here, when the truth is that they have failed us with their "prediction models," yet again.

Are you inclined to believe someone who is trying to pee on your head, and tells you that it is in fact raining? No? Me neither.
You knew years ago that all computer models are wrong in the long term, and you knew years ago all models are accurate in the short term. And today your political blinders are causing you to lie and spread misinformation about computer models.

Would you trust a weather forecast model showing the weather 3 weeks away? No, but you largely trust a weather model showing the weather 1-3 days in advance.

Would you trust a hurricane path model showing a storms location 3 weeks in the future? No, but you largely trust a hurricane model showing a storms location 2-5 days in the future.

And sometimes your local weather models get it wrong 1-3 days in advance, but you still watch the weather forecast before important outdoor family events (because those models give you the best available information about future weather conditions.)

And what do you trust more coronavirus models or president Trumps gut feelings?

On Feb 10th Trump said "the coronavirus will no longer be a problem by April.. by April the coronavirus will miraculously go away.”
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump...b6b7d8095959c2

On Feb 26th Trump said "the coronavirus is about to disappear in the United States, you have 15 people infected, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero.”
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020...ltimately.html

On Feb 27th Trump said "the coronavirus is going to disappear. One day it's like a miracle, it will disappear."
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/timelin...n-coronavirus/

And in April the Trump White House said "in a best-case scenario, as many as 240,000 Americans could die from COVID-19."
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/trump...b6b7d8095959c2

It is truly sad and dangerous how most republicans trust Donald Trumps gut feelings about the coronavirus more than they trust coronavirus computer models. And republicans literally attack computer models, while they praise and protect Donald Trump like a religious cult leader.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies