Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2020, 05:35 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
If I have it to my parents I couldn't live with myself so I for one share this sentiment. I'm sure most would. Only emotionless people would feel like that isn't the case.
Of course folks share this sentiment. But to say it's restricted to guilt over Coronavirus is nuts. Anyone who has spread anything that caused a loved one's death would feel guilt. I'm sure all of the families of H1N1's victims felt the same way.

Old 05-18-2020, 05:47 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times
John's Hopkins Top Research Guy. The good news potentially...

“We should hold out some level of hope that if everything goes in the right direction, we could possibly be seeing a vaccine by the end of the year,” Inglesby told host Chuck Todd.

“Given that there are now 110 vaccine projects going on around the world that all the major vaccine companies in the world are working on this in some way, and given that Tony Fauci and Moncef Slaoui are now leading figures in the U.S. in this project and they both believe it’s possible, I think it is possible,” Inglesby said. “But, everything would have to break in the right way, and there are many ways that it might not work. So, I don’t think we should bank on it.”

Old 05-18-2020, 05:49 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
it should almost be a requirement to divulge whether you're retired, in government employment, large corporation, small business, self-employed, whatever, when you tell 330 million why they should not be concerned about the economy at all.
This, a million times this.

I make a point to note the employment situation of the folks shrieking the loudest about "sheltering in place".

In virtually every case the person is either retired, independently wealthy, a teacher of works for the government. The two most vocal of my acquaintances are a) a woman who has never worked, and whose husband works for the government. They've chosen to hole up in their second home near a ski resort. They order gourmet meals to be delivered, and she spends her day reading and taking walks in the woods. She is militant about face masks, only ordering things online, and keeping everything closed until the end of 2020. The other b) is a woman who is retired, and whose husband is uber wealthy (they recently married). They also own a second home in the Caribbean, where they spend 6 months out of the year. They own a yacht, and live in an exclusive gated community. She is a complete bully about "staying safe" and berates shoppers in her local grocery store.

Neither of these people have spent a minute in the real working world, and have no worries about surviving financially.

Old 05-18-2020, 05:59 AM

15,638 posts, read 10,393,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
This, a million times this.

I make a point to note the employment situation of the folks shrieking the loudest about "sheltering in place".

In virtually every case the person is either retired, independently wealthy, a teacher of works for the government. The two most vocal of my acquaintances are a) a woman who has never worked, and whose husband works for the government. They've chosen to hole up in their second home near a ski resort. They order gourmet meals to be delivered, and she spends her day reading and taking walks in the woods. She is militant about face masks, only ordering things online, and keeping everything closed until the end of 2020. The other b) is a woman who is retired, and whose husband is uber wealthy (they recently married). They also own a second home in the Caribbean, where they spend 6 months out of the year. They own a yacht, and live in an exclusive gated community. She is a complete bully about "staying safe" and berates shoppers in her local grocery store.

Neither of these people have spent a minute in the real working world, and have no worries about surviving financially.
the bolded above is the same type of woman who is ubiquitous in my neighborhood. the old, retired, well-off financially, gestapo 'Karen'. is this a strong indicator of what the future of Karening is gonna be like? i mean, is everyone from here on out going to be questioned or chided for being out without a mask? if so, I don’t want any part of the new normal. Ugh.

Old 05-18-2020, 06:24 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
Thats great, but until you can prove the tangible ways these statements changed the actions of epidemologists and myriad other health professionals at multiple agencies, we can only conclude a complete lack of knowledge of how anything anywhere of significance works.

Federal agencies' employees have written policies and directives they follow. Are you suggesting that they ignored all that and instead gathered around a TV and when Trump spoke, decided they would do something else?

Do you have any evidence whatsoever, that Trumps statements at press conferences, altered the course of action being taken at any of the federal agencies involved?

Why would they, even throwing out all knowledge of how agencies work and take long deliberation at changes. According to you people everything he says is a lie or incompetant. He ignores science. So scientists just did dumb things on verbal statements Trump made to the public, not even direct orders to them? Proof?

Im really trying to find a point other than patronizing people as if we should believe one of these things happened.

Because the reality is nothing Trump said, EVER, changed what the people in the trenches, and their managers and superiors, did in response to this pandemic and your continued implied suggestion it did removes all credibility from your posts.
Can anyone tell us how the scientists and bureaucrats changed their actions from Jan - March based upon Trump appearing on media and understating the upcoming effects of COVID on the US?

Old 05-18-2020, 06:50 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times
Quote:
Can anyone tell us how the scientists and bureaucrats changed their actions from Jan - March based upon Trump appearing on media and understating the upcoming effects of COVID on the US?
Not sure I get your question.

Old 05-18-2020, 07:08 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,087,126 times
Welp.

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1262326523765415938

Old 05-18-2020, 07:38 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,508,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
A progressive Medicare for all group used cell phone tracking to spin a web of post-demonstration virus spread. Sounds very scientific and without any shortcoming. lol.

Old 05-18-2020, 08:20 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Many would have us believe that because Trump was publicly saying "everything is OK. We've got this under control" that others within government weren't actually taking steps to combat the virus. That since Trump said (as late as March 2nd) that the virus would be handled, that nothing had been done until after that date.

Is that clearer? I can go find one of their posts.

Old 05-18-2020, 08:21 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,262,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Yes its like they are trying to make us respond to some odd personal narrative they created, yet because that personal narrative does not apply to us it's impossible to answer. *shrug*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies