Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2020, 02:58 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
All you naysayers should study the information in this link. Pay very close attention to the graphs.

Not Like the Flu, Not Like Car Crashes, Not Like... It’s about the spike.
what is a naysayer, and why now do you want us to pay attention to non-scientists?

Oh, there's some of your MAGA fos that are still clinging to "no worse than the flu", but just ignore them.

If you're telling us the "climbing spike" is COVID deaths/day compared to existing causes, OK. they basically peaked April 17 or 21 and have declined significantly since - except for yesterday when they jumped up to 2,470.

Old 04-29-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
At the end of january dr. Fauci was on tv saying "the coronavirus is not a serious threat to the united states". Yet a few days later Trump closed off travel from China and was criticized for that.
As for Trump downplaying it in february, how did that change the actions of professionals in the CDC and other federal agencies? Are you asserting they watched TV at work, heard Trumps words, and then ignored written directives, long standing protocols, and orders from supervisors- you know the experts you claim Trump was ignoring? To even suggest this is far fetched. Got evidence?

What Trump said at press conferences was to calm the public and had absolutely zero influence on what the government was actually doing. These agencies do not listen to white house press conferences for their orders and its insane to imply they would.
this is what I don't get. The only explanation seems to be "It HAS TO BE Trump's fault!"

Old 04-29-2020, 03:02 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
Trump giving a great live meeting right now with CEOs.

Old 04-29-2020, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Moving target?

Do you understand why it's virtually impossible to nail down the number of asymptomatic COVID-19 positive cases?
You tell us since you think you understand more than the medical scientists.
A person who is positive for COVID-19 but who is asymptomatic are much more prone to spreading this virus. In fact they alone can infect 5-6 people on average.

Look up how much shedding of this virus these folks do.

The rest of your argument simply makes zero sense.
I am well aware that with something as new and fast-moving as COVID, we still know very little about it today.

I understand that until we COVID test or antibody test a statistically-relevant sampling, and also understand the false positive/negative ratios, that we don't know much.

Until we know how many asymptomatic people recovered without knowing they had it, we have no idea how many they spread it to. About all we know is it can be spread that way, and naturally if you're out and about unknowingly infected, you're likely to infect more people than the folks wholed up at home quarantined.

"There you go again" accusing me of claiming I know more than the doctors/scientists.

I'm sorry the question of basically "how can two people that are CVID negative infect each other?" didn't make sense to you. I assume you're aware of, and agree with, the directive that "my mask isn't to protect me, it's to protect you"?

Old 04-29-2020, 03:14 PM

Quote:
This absolutely correct.

Dr. Fauci is widely recognized as one of the world's leading experts on infectious diseases. As a physician with the National Institutes of Health (NIH), Fauci has served American public health in various capacities for over 50 years, and has been an advisor to every U.S. president since Ronald Reagan.

He has made contributions to HIV/AIDS research and other immunodeficiencies, both as a scientist and as the head of the NIAID at the NIH.

What's True

During a Feb. 29, 2020, interview, Dr. Fauci said that at that time and under the circumstances pertaining to that date, Americans didn't need to change their behavior patterns.

What's False

However, Fauci did not say there was "nothing to worry about," and although he stated that Americans did not yet need to change their behaviors, he noted that what was then classified as the COVID-19 outbreak could require that to change.
I'm not into the TOS here, but I think you're supposed to cite your quotes. In this case, wikipedia.

Old 04-29-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Please find the entire transcript and let's see who's the person trying to take what Fauci stated out of context.

Come back when you have the entire official transcript.

These criticisms ignore the context of Fauci’s Feb. 29 commentary and the rapidly evolving nature of the COVID-19 situation.

On Feb. 29, Fauci gave an interview on the NBC morning talk show “Today,” during which he stated that at that moment in time, “the risk is still low, but this could change.”

“I’ve said that many times even on this program,” Fauci stated in that interview. “You’ve got to watch out because although the risk is low now, you don’t need to change anything you’re doing. When you start to see community spread, this could change and force you to become much more attentive to doing things that would protect you from spread.”

The situation with COVID-19 in the United States was indeed drastically different on Feb. 29 than it was in mid-April.

Bottom line is Fauci updated his briefings as more and more information was available. Trump simply ignored the evolving information and continued to downplay it as he is currently doing.
So, you now divorce yourself from any Trump quote before Feb 29.

So now we're down to 2 weeks of inaction, from Mar 1 to Mar 15.

BTW, it was

Quote:
Feb. 25 when Dr. Nancy Messonnier, the director of the National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, publicly issued the blunt warning they had all agreed was necessary.

Old 04-29-2020, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Please post the links so that I can read it from the source vs. a random person on a forum telling me that the CDD and WHO stated such a thing.

You might want to read this.

CDC Director On Models For The Months To Come: 'This Virus Is Going To Be With Us'

Scroll down where he's asked about the asymptomatic cases.

Here I'll make it easy for you.
ok, that's March 31 (article date). Since then, cases have gone from 125K to 1MM. What have they learned from all those cases since then? Especially the asymptomatic ones?

Old 04-29-2020, 03:29 PM

Quote:
You are not very convincing with your non-credible links.

Give it a rest as I've been listening to Fauci since this all stared and there is nothing you can post to undo what I heard with my own ears.

It's comical the level you guys stoop to...or rather sad that you are so easily duped by YouTube quote mined clips.
On this, many of us agree!

Old 04-29-2020, 03:33 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,260,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
No, I'm not confused, you tried to make your Feb. 10 quote seem like something it was not, you did not provide the entire quote...below is the entire quote:
“And by the way, the virus. … It looks like by April, you know in theory, when it gets a little warmer, it miraculously goes away — I hope that’s true."

There is a reason you left off "I hope that 's true" part because you wanted it to look like trump meant exactly that (In April, it will go away), and that's why you dropped off the "I hope that's true" part.
LOL that's what has you all wound up? I did not intentionally leave that out.

Here's an entire transcript where you can find Trump pretty much making the same claims without stating he hopes it's true.

Trump, Feb. 10: Now, the virus that we’re talking about having to do — you know, a lot of people think that goes away in April with the heat — as the heat comes in. Typically, that will go away in April. We’re in great shape though. We have 12 cases — 11 cases, and many of them are in good shape now.

Remarks by President Trump at the White House Business Session with our Nation’s Governors

How are you going to try and back-peddle out of these ignorant statements Trump makes all throughout this transcript?

Old 04-29-2020, 03:42 PM

46,282 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
LOL that's what has you all wound up? I did not intentionally leave that out.

Here's an entire transcript where you can find Trump pretty much making the same claims without stating he hopes it's true.

Trump, Feb. 10: Now, the virus that we’re talking about having to do — you know, a lot of people think that goes away in April with the heat — as the heat comes in. Typically, that will go away in April. We’re in great shape though. We have 12 cases — 11 cases, and many of them are in good shape now.

Remarks by President Trump at the White House Business Session with our Nation’s Governors

How are you going to try and back-peddle out of these ignorant statements Trump makes all throughout this transcript?

Not wound up, just pointing out that you were complaining about someone "mining" quotes all the while you were doing the same thing.

No back peddling, you changed your quote to make it seem like you did not "mine" a quote....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies