Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 06:48 AM

2,915 posts, read 1,364,152 times

Advertisements

Republican governor Larry Hogan, along with most other state governors, is showing us what leadership in a time of crisis looks like.

Quote:
In early February, when the governors converged on Washington for their semiannual meeting, Trump was still casting the virus as a nonissue that would go away on its own. Hogan arranged for the group to be briefed by experts including Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, and Dr. Robert Redfield, the head of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The stark warning the experts delivered was so at odds with the public discussion that it made many of the governors sit up in their seats and return home with a sense of urgency. If the U.S. muddles through the current crisis, it will be because America’s governors stepped up to the plate–at least in part because of Hogan. Perhaps not coincidentally, several of the governors who’ve come in for the most criticism for their lackadaisical handling of the pandemic–including Georgia’s Brian Kemp and Florida’s Ron DeSantis–are not dues-paying NGA members and weren’t at the meeting.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-tol...100736909.html (originally from Time Magazine)
The governors have had 44 governors-only information sharing teleconferences since the start of the coronavirus epidemic where they discuss things such as how to deal with Abbott Laboratories new rapid-testing device.

Quote:
“Andy, this is Andrew,” New York’s Governor Cuomo replies. “My experience is, these companies will sell the machines, which are several million dollars each, but then they don’t deliver the test kits and the reagents. And then they say the federal government is doing the allocation of the test kits.”
If Larry Hogan was running for president now he would have my vote. He's shown us what true non-partisan leadership means. But I'm glad he's not because that means he's able to coordinate the "Governor's Response Team" (my term for it). Also, kudos to all the governors out there who realize this isn't the time for politics, but instead for governing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 07:25 AM

18,468 posts, read 7,107,098 times
Lolz@

Democrats spending four years crying about how Trump is a dictator and then get all bent out of shape when he refuses to act like one.

Different states and cities need different policies to deal with the situation.

A one-size-fits-all decree from the President would be neither helpful or constitutional.

Old 04-30-2020, 07:28 AM

30,485 posts, read 19,246,478 times
Trump is probably exceeding his authority under the COnstitution and the Governors most definitely are robbing people of their freedoms and livelihood....nothing to brag about.

Old 04-30-2020, 07:31 AM

23,586 posts, read 17,266,039 times
If you thought obama was a leader then you have no clue as to what a leader looks and acts like.

NY's death rate was exacerbated by Cuomo and diblasio.

cuomo droned on spreading doom and gloom and hysteria. Cuomo owns NYs death toll.

Old 04-30-2020, 07:34 AM

34,253 posts, read 18,620,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Trump is probably exceeding his authority under the COnstitution and the Governors most definitely are robbing people of their freedoms and livelihood....nothing to brag about.
^^^^This. First the Left says Trump is a DICTATOR and wants to be KING. Then they criticize him for not being able to EXCEED his Constitutional authority. Well, which is it, HYPOCRITE LEFTIES?

Old 04-30-2020, 07:37 AM

1,940 posts, read 1,031,451 times
Gives me hope that there are still people in politics that can rise to the position of office and not call a global pandemic a hoax.

Old 04-30-2020, 08:00 AM

23,763 posts, read 12,642,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
Gives me hope that there are still people in politics that can rise to the position of office
It gives you hope that there are governors who are whining about doing what they were elected to do?
=
Quote:
and not call a global pandemic a hoax.
Oh look, someone is still buying that leftist media lie.

Old 04-30-2020, 08:04 AM

1,748 posts, read 882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry-Koala View Post
Republican governor Larry Hogan, along with most other state governors, is showing us what leadership in a time of crisis looks like.

The governors have had 44 governors-only information sharing teleconferences since the start of the coronavirus epidemic where they discuss things such as how to deal with Abbott Laboratories new rapid-testing device.

If Larry Hogan was running for president now he would have my vote. He's shown us what true non-partisan leadership means. But I'm glad he's not because that means he's able to coordinate the "Governor's Response Team" (my term for it). Also, kudos to all the governors out there who realize this isn't the time for politics, but instead for governing.

I suggest you read up on the 10th Amendment. And having a few governors who actually are acting in their citizens best interest is not offsetting the ones who are killing their states economies completely. I'm looking at Maine, NY, Massachusetts and a few others here.

Maine governor - lets just cancel every event for the entire summer and demand everyone state in their homes except when absolutely necessary (occasional trips to the grocery store). Oh - and all hotels/motels are forbidden from accepting any reservations no matter how far out those reservations are on the calendar.

NY governor - lets ignore our own committees (appointed by him) when they tell us we need 15000 more ventilators and spend that money on our pet projects instead.

Massachusetts - lets shut down one of the few businesses bring in the most taxes right now because a few people might cross the border into the state to buy weed. But lets keep all the illegals on welfare while the citizens struggle.

Florida, on the other hand is doing what suits their state, as is South Carolina. If you have a problem with them working for their citizens, seems to me you just have a problem.

Old 04-30-2020, 08:07 AM

36,588 posts, read 30,928,782 times
Quote:

So you think the president, any president, should have the complete authority to control all specific law and policy for every state?

When Trump considered overstepping individual governors mandates for their state people had a fit. So you want the president to step in and control policy or not?

Old 04-30-2020, 08:10 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,815,579 times
Quote:

That is their job. Take care of your state and ask for help from Fed Gov when you need it. Not all states or cities are affected at the same rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies