Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2020, 01:17 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I think it's probably somewhat of a generational thing. I imagine there are more men these days that contribute more to household duties. I grew up in the 80's and my mother made me do all of my own chores, including going grocery shopping when I was a young teenager. I was doing all of my own laundry and all of that stuff. Looking back I think I recall my mom cooking meals a lot for me/us, but I also did a lot of meals for myself too.

My SO and I when we first got together we shared duties around the house. Now our situation is different, she does the house stuff and I do that outside/work stuff. Like I posted earlier, whatever works for each couple.

I've heard older women complain about men my whole life. I think dads back in those days probably had it pretty easy in a whole lot of ways. I'm not sure at what point it started to shift. I imagine as more and more women started entering the workforce I would guess. I remember being a kid back in the 80's and even then the mothers were doing all of the work, some still had jobs outside the house. I was always surprised when my friends didn't do their own laundry or that their moms did the actual household grocery shopping.
That's pretty much it. IMO from observations I think it began turning around in the mid 90's. My dad never lifted a finger to do any household chores or care for us kids. My husbands nor my sisters husbands did much. My little brother seems to do as much cleaning and cooking and even rocking, feeding babies, changing diapers etc. as his wife. She worked also. I see more and more couples living egalitarian lifestyles.

I have seen coaches at my grandsons ballgame coaching a with their infant strapped to them in one of those slings. Made me smile. I see fathers grocery shopping with their kids, at the doctors office with their kids. Never would have seen any of that when I was growing up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2020, 01:19 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
All you have to do is read the hundreds of different bills submitted to the legislature restricting access to abortions and creating restrictions that make it near impossible for all but well to do women to get an abortion.

No different then how legislators kept women from legally getting birth control information and contraceptives in the 50's and 60's.
My Dr refused per his religion to issue birth control pills and I had my son-- at 19. I was married, but was not ready for kids. I lived in a small town in PA at the time, so not a lot of options. Nahh never go back to that life-- give me my freedom with the rent and elect bills etc. I'll manage-

Old 05-06-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
My Dr refused per his religion to issue birth control pills and I had my son-- at 19. I was married, but was not ready for kids. I lived in a small town in PA at the time, so not a lot of options. Nahh never go back to that life-- give me my freedom with the rent and elect bills etc. I'll manage-
Yes they felt you couldn't make your own reproductive decisions, or have beliefs or opinions different than theirs. Many still think that way requiring women to have a couple kids before they agree to a tubal ligation. Seems like its hard to shake the need to control others.

Old 05-06-2020, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Yes they felt you couldn't make your own reproductive decisions, or have beliefs or opinions different than theirs. Many still think that way requiring women to have a couple kids before they agree to a tubal ligation. Seems like its hard to shake the need to control others.
We need to do a thread on only male control issues - from politics to the bedroom.

Old 05-06-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
We need to do a thread on only male control issues - from politics to the bedroom.
I dont believe it is only men who have control issues.

Old 05-06-2020, 01:51 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:
Pretty divisive sounding here.
Quote:
Thank you for being balanced.

Old 05-06-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
No its not-- but laws that govern most of the world that oppose women's rights are written by?

Old 05-06-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
No its not-- but laws that govern most of the world that oppose women's rights are written by?
And when or if women gain control over the government/legislature Ill bet here will be some control issues, some misandry seep through.
There have been women through history also who have sided with men in their laws and attitudes that have oppressed women.

I dont think is wise to dwell on past sexism, racism, etc., just work to move forward for equality for everyone. That said I dont think it wise to forget it either. Younger generations need to understand where we came from least history not repeat itself, but no need to harbor resentment or anger about it.

Old 05-06-2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
And when or if women gain control over the government/legislature Ill bet here will be some control issues, some misandry seep through.
There have been women through history also who have sided with men in their laws and attitudes that have oppressed women.

I dont think is wise to dwell on past sexism, racism, etc., just work to move forward for equality for everyone. That said I dont think it wise to forget it either. Younger generations need to understand where we came from least history not repeat itself, but no need to harbor resentment or anger about it.
I agree, but apparently is still not a strong enough of a message going forward to our young people. And yes, women can be, just as if not more, wicked to other women. Laws are hard to change, but learning simple respect from the home front would make things much more easier for women. I raised 3 boys and have grand kids. I try to show the boys to respect girls and the girls-- yes you can- If Gma can do it- so can you.
My personal view, again growing up in the late 50s and 60's, that control of women, is what kept those that wanted more- back from accomplishing their dreams.

Old 05-06-2020, 02:21 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:

One doesn't need to visit history to see women acting creepy or violating and or abetting the men doing such.

The lady that worked for Epstein rounding up the girls.

The lady lawyer, forget her name, going around giving hush money to Weinstein's accusers.

Lot of creepy less than stellar behavior by women, those two popped right up, probably could come up with a boatload more if I bothered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies