Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2020, 04:29 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,852,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Not all women were married to rich men but all women were affected by draconian no fault divorce laws on the mid 1970s - which meant you got a minimum of half the breadwinners past present and future assets plus child support
This has had an enormous Financial impact on women of today compared
to women of The 1050 era
Marriage is 50-50, Huck, and women are "breadwinners," too. Women are entitled to half of everything. If you believe otherwise, don't get married.

Personally, I think it's a minority of men who should ever get married, anyway. Most should remain single for life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2020, 04:30 PM

1,768 posts, read 569,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
All of that also applied to earlier decades.

Also, many women were probably glad they were not required to do jury duty! Look how many people today try to get out of it.
So?

The thread is about the fifties.

But silly me, your mom loved it therefore it was the best decade for every other woman too.

Old 05-01-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Not all women were married to rich men but all women were affected by draconian no fault divorce laws in the mid 1970s - which meant you got a minimum of half the breadwinners past, present and future assets- plus child support -
This has had an enormous Financial impact on women of today -compared
to women of The 1950 era-
The other draconian law -was the 1978 Federal anti credit discrimination act -
Which in essence -means you can open credit cards in your name against his will- based on his Line of credit and he is 100% responsible for their payment -unless there is a divorce -but historically even in divorce -the settlement negotiations usually result in his paying all credit cards
The chances of the average ordinary non PhD girl snagging a desirable husband were much better in 1950
50 million divorces later -the desirable man thinks twice about marriage

Your definition of "desirable" is probably very different from mine. Like I said, most men should never marry, because most men aren't marriage material. And that's perfectly fine!

Let's forget, once and for all, this idea that marriage is the ideal for everyone. It isn't.

Old 05-01-2020, 05:07 PM

24,514 posts, read 33,345,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
There’s a discrepancy between the thread title “were the 50’s that bad for women” and the post “was it the worst?”

The answer to one is “yes” and the answer to the other is “lol no, women have been treated like crap since caveman days but with each decade it sucks slightly less”.
The '50s that bad for women? Many women who lived in that era would disagree with that and, in fact, enjoyed that decade very much.

Old 05-01-2020, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
And you know these couples personally? Have intimate insight into their marriages?
It is common knowledge. Why do you think the divorce rate is so high now? Because many people do so over minor reasons.

Old 05-01-2020, 05:13 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,389,587 times
Quote:
It is common knowledge. Why do you think the divorce rate is so high now? Because many people do so over minor reasons.
The divorce rate has been declining for years. It would have been much higher in that time if it had been practical, but unfortunately, most women who wanted out were stuck in unhappy and abusive relationships with no way out, very few rights and no way to earn a living. The hunky-dory 50's myth is just that, a myth.

Old 05-01-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Oh, come on, now. The main reason LOTS of marriages in the past didn't end in divorce is because women were financially dependent on their husbands. Most women had few skills (as did many men, but they could work in factories and construction) and it was very difficult for them to be hired for decently-paying jobs.

If anything, long-term marriages today are happier today than were long-term marriages in the past.

Old 05-01-2020, 05:17 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,248,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I wonder who cleaned the outhouse?

Seriously now, the posts to this thread are mostly personal anecdotal perceptions, interpolated to represent the masses, at a point in time.

Nearly 25% of the population lived in desperate poverty in the 50’s.
People remember or romanticize in a very selective way. The 50’s were hell for millions of Americans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
the 30s sucked as you note. the 50s changed the world. I would argue the 50s was our most important decade.
Look, I can only base it on whether or not I’d prefer to live in that time or not based on what was going on at the time.

There is no way in hell I’d go back to the 50’s even if I could go back as a millionaire. I won’t have my dignity or toes stepped upon and let it ride. With my mentality, I’d be in prison doing Star Trek years. I wanna do what I wanna do and go wherever the hell I want to go when I feel like it, and I don’t want lip from some bigot who is just dying to get his head bashed in.

Eff the damn 50’s. It’s one of this country’s worst decades.

Old 05-01-2020, 05:18 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,389,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Oh, come on, now. The main reason LOTS of marriages in the past didn't end in divorce is because women were financially dependent on their husbands. Most women had few skills (as were many men, but they could work in factories and construction) and it was very difficult for them to be hired for decently-paying jobs.

If anything, long-term marriages today are of a happier today than were long-term marriages in the past.
This is particularly true among college-educated people, as they tend to wait until they have the financial independence to postpone marriage until they’re more confident it will work. This has translated to lower rates of divorce.

In the 50s women had no choice but to get married and find a man to support them since they were not allowed to work and had minimal legal rights.

Old 05-01-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Because the thread states the 50's yet we all know these things apply to prior decades and after the 50's.
I know that but when some people bash the '50s, they don't realize the same problems were around well before that decade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies