Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2020, 08:07 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
You are exactly right, Dr Fauci was trying to avoid mass panic! Trump and probably most state governors are doing the same thing!

In such a national emergency, part of their duty is to maintain control and order, they cannot allow any mass panics, runs on the banks, anarchy in the streets, because once it happens somewhere, they will NEVER re gain control.

I have a sneaky feeling, these states that are opening places back up this week...those governors DO NOT have the best interest of the people in mind with this decision, wait until the virus explodes and all those re opened places, will have to shut down again (and for much longer this time)...I wonder what the governors will be saying then?!! LOL

Restaurants could open here starting May1. Most of them haven't and the ones that have are practically empty.

People are wiser now. I did eat at a patio at a Mexican restaurant. Disposable plastic wrapped utensils, disposable cups.Only one other couple there.

Restaurants are going to go under in massive numbers.

States that open up will not have an explosion of deaths because people have changed their behaviors. Of course this also means the economy won't have a U shaped recovery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2020, 11:52 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It is wonderful that you have been so healthy; however, I seem to remember that you had a problem with a severe infection in your knee, so you might want to consider that if you got COVID-19 you might not do well.
Yes, I had a horrible staph infection and it was caused by a needle injection from being done wrong or not a clean needle or whatever.....before that injection my knee is plain and simple arthritic.

And I don't walk around in life, thinking thoughts "if I get it"...words are powerful.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 05-03-2020 at 12:09 PM..

Old 05-03-2020, 12:08 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
I was listening to my favorite macro economic podcast and the host mentioned that we have never developed a vaccine for any corona virus. https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2...razer/12146616
Yes, I told them that.

The thread is locked, but I said that over a month ago, so your economic gurus are a day late and dollar short, but then my BA in Economics comes from a much better school:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea 03-24-2020, 04:11 PM
Only uneducated uninformed people think there will be a vaccine.

You still don't have vaccines for any of the corona virus mutations in the last 20 years, or in the 35 years prior to year 2000 (corona was discovered in 1965 in the UK) for the same reason you don't have vaccines for influenza and parainfluenza and adenovirus and RSV and viral pneumonia.
Corona was discovered in 1965 in Britain and in 1967 they initiated a full-blown effort to find vaccines. The first study on a vaccine that failed miserably was in 1970.

Corona mutates every 2-3 years on average.

There are literally 2 dozen strains of corona floating around, including the 4 strains that cause the common cold, the strain that causes chronic bronchitis and the strain that causes adult asthma.

The other strains cause Influenza-like Illnesses, because you can't tell the difference between corona and influenza simply based on the symptoms. You have to test.

In the last 20 years alone, you've had COVID-2, HCOV-NH, HCOV-NL, HCOV-NL63, HCOV-HKU1 and HCOV-MERS.

HCOV is Human Corona Virus to distinguish it from Canine Corona Virus, Canine Respiratory Corona Virus, Feline Corona Virus, Bovine Corona Virus and many others.

Best case scenario is that possibly they might develop a "corona shot" like a "flu shot" that you'd have to take every single year for the rest of your life.

Even then, the best case scenario is that 60%-72% of the people who get the shot will be protected.

According to the CDC, the "flu shot" protects only 60%. The "flu shot" for H1N1 is more effective at 72%.

Virologists who study corona and no other virus are called coronavirologists. Yes, they really exist, because the virus is really difficult to study.

I've posted some of their names and the studies they've conducted from 1965 to 2014 on other threads.

Given the love-affair with dogs and cats in the US, I'm actually surprised it hasn't jumped from dogs and cats to humans, but I guess that's next.

Old 05-03-2020, 04:46 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post

Corona was discovered in 1965 in Britain and in 1967 they initiated a full-blown effort to find vaccines. The first study on a vaccine that failed miserably was in 1970.

Corona mutates every 2-3 years on average.

There are literally 2 dozen strains of corona floating around, including the 4 strains that cause the common cold, the strain that causes chronic bronchitis and the strain that causes adult asthma.

The other strains cause Influenza-like Illnesses, because you can't tell the difference between corona and influenza simply based on the symptoms. You have to test.

In the last 20 years alone, you've had COVID-2, HCOV-NH, HCOV-NL, HCOV-NL63, HCOV-HKU1 and HCOV-MERS.

HCOV is Human Corona Virus to distinguish it from Canine Corona Virus, Canine Respiratory Corona Virus, Feline Corona Virus, Bovine Corona Virus and many others.

Best case scenario is that possibly they might develop a "corona shot" like a "flu shot" that you'd have to take every single year for the rest of your life.

Even then, the best case scenario is that 60%-72% of the people who get the shot will be protected.

According to the CDC, the "flu shot" protects only 60%. The "flu shot" for H1N1 is more effective at 72%.

Virologists who study corona and no other virus are called coronavirologists. Yes, they really exist, because the virus is really difficult to study.

I've posted some of their names and the studies they've conducted from 1965 to 2014 on other threads.

Given the love-affair with dogs and cats in the US, I'm actually surprised it hasn't jumped from dogs and cats to humans, but I guess that's next.
Coronaviruses mutate constantly. All viruses do. Most mutations are neutral and do not change the way the virus behaves.

Please provide sources for your comment that coronaviruses cause chronic bronchitis and asthma. Thank you.

The strains that are clinically relevant to humans are 229E, NL63, OC43, and HKU1, which cause colds and rarely more serious respiratory symptoms, and SARS-CoV-1, MERS, and now Sars-CoV-2. COVID-19 is the disease caused by Sars-CoV-2, not the name of the virus.

HCOV-NH and HCOV-NL63 are the same virus. HCOV-NH should be dropped from your list.

Most infections with the first four viruses named usually cause upper respiratory symptoms of the type we commonly refer to as colds, and do not really present as influenza like illnesses.

There is no way to know what the efficacy of any new coronavirus vaccines will be or how long protection from them will last until the vaccines are available. Any claims that "best case scenario is that 60%-72% of the people who get the shot will be protected" or that "you'd have to take every single year for the rest of your life" are purely speculative. You seem to be basing that speculation on comparison to influenza. Coronaviruses are not influenza and you cannot extrapolate the biology of influenza viruses to coronaviruses.

More info at the link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies